Gospel promises

Sunday21

Does anyone know of any gospel promises? For example, in the 10 commandments, we are promised prosperity if we obey the sabbath. I have heard that if we read the Book of Mormon daily that we will find greater self-control. Someone one told me that there was a promise that if we hold family home evening regularly that children are less likely to leave the church. Does anyone know of any other promises?

There are lots of gospel promises or blessings we can obtain. I have a list of 23 possible blessings that come from studying the scriptures. I compiled the list for a talk i gave a couple of years ago based off some quotes from modern-day prophets i found in my studies. So it is by no means a comprehensive list. I think it was Elder Scott who said that we would receive a "wealth of blessings [as a] result of scripture study."

I don't know if you would consider some of these as promises. Many of them are fairly basic but some are kind of fantastical sounding. If you're interested in the quotes, let me know. I still have them. Here's the list:

1.  Learn how to live in times of war.

2.  Learn how to deal with persecution and apostasy.

3.  Learn how to do missionary work.

4.  Learn how to respond to the dangers of materialism.

5.  Help us keep our thoughts clean and pure.

6.  Increase the Spirit in our homes.

7.  Increase reverence.

8.  Increase mutual respect and consideration for others.

9.  Decrease contention.

10. Parents will counsel with their children in greater love and wisdom.

11. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents.

12. Increase righteousness.

13. Increase faith, hope and charity.

14. Increase peace, joy and happiness.

15. Strengthened resolve to obey commandments.

16. Strengthen our testimony of Christ.

17. Increased power to avoid temptation.

18. Increased ability to hear the promptings of the Holy Ghost and receive revelation.

19. Increased confidence in ability to overcome the challenges of life.

20. Give direction to our life.

21. Calm an agitated soul.

22. Heal emotional challenges.

23. Accelerate physical healing.

Here are the promises if you hold family home evening. From Joseph f. Smith, if the saints obey this counsel, we promise that great blessings will result. Love at home and obedience to parents will increase. Faith will be developed in the hearts of Isreal, and they will gain power to combat the evil influences and temptations which beset them.

Curious. With the exception of accelerated physical healing, these all seem pretty basic. Did you see others as fantastical?

Probably any of these can be seen as fantastical to someone who is struggling with said thing (testimony, contention in the home, temptation, whatever). I guess i was personally thinking that the last three can be seen as fantastical to people who struggle with those types of trials in their life. Number 11 could certain seem fantastical to someone who has a rebellious teenager.

The scripture that comes to mind for me (and that I was initially too lazy to look up) is D&C 130:20-21 that talks about how we obtain blessings from God “by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.”

I’ve come across a couple of scripture verses that promise mercy to “them that love him and keep his commandments.” (Ex. 20:6 and Dan. 9:4) So that's a cool one.

Probably any of these can be seen as fantastical to someone who is struggling with said thing (testimony, contention in the home, temptation, whatever). I guess i was personally thinking that the last three can be seen as fantastical to people who struggle with those types of trials in their life. Number 11 could certain seem fantastical to someone who has a rebellious teenager.

They are ALL fantastical blessings. All blessings from God are great and fantastic.

-Finrock

They are ALL fantastical blessings. All blessings from God are great and fantastic.

-Finrock

And that's exactly why i chose that word. It has that kind of double meaning, neither of which i can find any disagreement with.

There are some really cool promises associated with fasting and fast offerings in Isaiah 58. Elder Eyring talked about them a bit in his general conference talk during the Sunday morning session.