Invite the bishop?

dahlia

As I mentioned awhile back, my son is getting married. He is actually getting married at the outdoor area of our church (we have a picnic area). The bishop has offered to officiate, but the fiance's father is a minister and will do it.

If the bishop officiated, I would certainly invite him to the restaurant dinner afterward. However, he's just letting us use the picnic area for free. Should I still invite him? The bride's mother is paying for the dinner, but I would pay for the bishop and his wife. It's not the money, it's the etiquette, which I just don't know.

An aside - the bishop 'volunteered' some of the young men to bring chairs out, set up, and move the picnic stuff out of the way. We're only having about 30 people, but still, they're doing some work. I think I should pay the guys about $20 a piece. Nice round number, I can get 20$ bills, they weren't expecting anything, so anything is a bonus, etc.  What do you guys think? I dig the service thing, but I also think if you do a job you should get paid. Thoughts?

As I mentioned awhile back, my son is getting married. He is actually getting married at the outdoor area of our church (we have a picnic area). The bishop has offered to officiate, but the fiance's father is a minister and will do it.

If the bishop officiated, I would certainly invite him to the restaurant dinner afterward. However, he's just letting us use the picnic area for free. Should I still invite him? The bride's mother is paying for the dinner, but I would pay for the bishop and his wife. It's not the money, it's the etiquette, which I just don't know.

An aside - the bishop 'volunteered' some of the young men to bring chairs out, set up, and move the picnic stuff out of the way. We're only having about 30 people, but still, they're doing some work. I think I should pay the guys about $20 a piece. Nice round number, I can get 20$ bills, they weren't expecting anything, so anything is a bonus, etc.  What do you guys think? I dig the service thing, but I also think if you do a job you should get paid. Thoughts?

If I were in your shoes - I would ask my son and his to-by wife if they would like the bishop to be present at their wedding dinner.

For the bishop it would depend entirely on how close you are to him.  It is not an automatic invite thing.

As for paying the YM... the YM leaders are most likely trying to instill the attitude of self-less service in the boys.  Payment might be declined...  That being said the scouting side of the program usually does fund raisers for summer camp and new gear...  Put it as a donation to further their activities (whatever they might be) and you might be able "pay" in a way that furthers the goals of the program.

I think The Traveler had it right...see what the bride and groom would like to do. 

As for the young men, if they volunteered then you could donate some money to the scout program which I'm sure would be appreciated

If they were voluntold then I think some paying them would be a wonderful thing. 

I think you should ask the happy couple if they want the Bishop invited.

I think you should offer money to the young men, and also donate money to the scout program and that you should also make a contribution to the Bishop for the church for using the picnic area.

In other words pay all the way around. 

dc

I'm sorry, I should have said my son & the bride are all right with it. I just wasn't sure if it was expected.

The bishop said they wouldn't take any money from me. If I wanted, I could make a donation to the missionaries, but he won't accept any money from me.

Edited by dahlia

Yes.

Wherever he wants the money to go.  If for the missionaries, then to the missionary fund.

It's not a rental fee, a purchase amount, it's a donation, a gratuity.

dc

Edited by David13

The bishop said they wouldn't take any money from me. If I wanted, I could make a donation to the missionaries, but he won't accept any money from me.

Paying a bishop would be inappropriate, he was right to decline.  However, he might take a gift.

After the Bishop officiated at my wedding, I gave him a gift card to a nice restaurant so he and his wife could have a date.

(Yes, it is sorta bizarre that cash is not ok, but restaurant gift card is).