Old prophets VS new prophets

In LDS perspective what is the difference between old prophets and new prophets? Do Mormons believe that Joseph Smith was the first prophet of God? Or, just one of many prophets of God, like Moses or Nephi (he was a prophet, right?)? I know that other Christian groups acknowledge old prophets in the Bible and was just wondering if LDS gospel sees them as other religious groups? Hope that all made sense.

Joseph Smith was the prophet of the restoration.  A lot of focus is placed on him for translating the Book of Mormon through the gift and power of God, receiving and revealing the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ, writing much of the book of Doctrine and Covenants, and many other wise documents.

The first prophet was Adam.  The greatest prophet was the Lord Jesus Christ.  Latter-Day Saints believe all prophets who have authority given them from God past and present speak God's words.  We believe the Bible to be word of God as far as it is translated correctly.  We believe that Moses, Joshua, Elijah, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Malachi and many other prophets were called and inspired by God.

In LDS perspective what is the difference between old prophets and new prophets? Do Mormons believe that Joseph Smith was the first prophet of God? Or, just one of many prophets of God, like Moses or Nephi (he was a prophet, right?)? I know that other Christian groups acknowledge old prophets in the Bible and was just wondering if LDS gospel sees them as other religious groups? Hope that all made sense.

Joseph Smith was one of many...

That being said we do give greater priority to Living prophets then dead ones.

After all Noah was a prophet and very important but we are not building or getting ready to enter an Ark as the Lord commanded Noah to tell the people to do...  Moses was a prophet and very important, but we don't live the Law of Moses as the Lord commanded Moses to tell the Israelites to do.

So there is a difference but that difference is in understanding that Lord uses prophets to tell people what they need to do right now...  Which commandments after a period of time might no longer apply.

From a talk by Elder Orson F. Whitney (1855-1931) of the Quorum of Twelve Apostles

"...the great distinguishing feature that differentiates God’s Church from all other churches under the sun—in this, that while they are founded upon books and traditions and the precepts of men, this Church is built upon the rock of Christ, upon the principle of immediate and continuous revelation. The Latter-day Saints do not do things because they happen to be printed in a book [of scripture]. They do not do things because God told the Jews to do them; nor do they do or leave undone anything because of instructions that Christ gave to the Nephites….What the Lord said to the Jews and Nephites 2,000 years ago or what He said to the Latter-day Saints 50 or 60 years ago has no force whatever at this time unless it agrees with present-day revelation, with the Lord’s most recent instructions to His people through His chosen or appointed servants or servant;…"

The entire article is very good and can be found here: https://www.lds.org/ensign/2015/03/built-upon-the-rock?lang=eng

So, LDS believe Joseph Smith is a prophet, but he was the first prophet of this time/dispensation.  His responsibility was to restore Christ's church here upon the earth.  Other earlier prophets or present day prophets have had their own responsibilities and works to perform, according to what Christ wanted/needed from them.

Edited by classylady

Quick side question. Are commandments the same as doctrine? I understand that LDS gospel doctrine does not change.

LDS doctrine could change virtually tomorrow if the President Monson received a new revelation today overturning current doctrine. Its not very likely, but it has, and can happen.

As for the difference between commandments and doctrine, I like to think that commandments are instructions from God telling us what to do and what not to do whereas I see doctrine as knowledge/information/teachings. The fact that God has a body of flesh and bone, as tangible as man is doctrine and not a commandment. Thou shalt not kill is a commandment, and in the strict sense, not doctrine. However, many might see things differently and say that the commandments are part of our doctrine. 

One other thing to add, just to stir things up:

Theoretically, as I understand it all past prophets are created equal in authority and inspiration--with one exception.  That's when we start talking about the idea of "dispensations"--in short, the idea that every now and again, the knowledge of the Gospel completely disappears to the earth, the heavens more or less close, and there needs to be a restoration of Gospel knowledge and divine authority and revelation.  When that restoration comes, the following period of revelation (which can last throughout the ministries of several successive prophets, over hundreds or thousands of years) is called a dispensation, and the prophet through whom the restoration came is known as the head of that dispensation.  Mormons often talk of seven major dispensations, headed by Adam, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus Christ, and Joseph Smith; and those heads of dispensations will often get some extra deference. 

Also--just like modern Mormons have apostles they tend to prefer or cite more frequently; certain prophets just tend to get quoted more by other prophets or modern speakers; for a variety of reasons.  Nephi had so much respect for Isaiah that he occasionally doesn't even mention him by name, simply referring to him as "the Prophet".

Quick side question. Are commandments the same as doctrine? I understand that LDS gospel doctrine does not change.

The way I look at it:  Doctrine is simply a fancy word for "truth" (unless I'm dealing with critics of Mormonism who are trying to impute particular outlandish beliefs to me, in which case when I say "doctrine" I mean "accepted and taught by the LDS Church as a whole, as opposed to a small selection of people who happen to be Mormon").  "Commandment", on the other hand, is simply an instruction to do something in order to achieve a particular result. 

By way of analogy:  "doctrine" is a box of Legos and the universe of things I can, or can't, build with the pieces in that box.  "Commandments" are the instructions that came with the set, which really I only need to follow if I want to successfully build whatever's pictured on the front of the box.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Doctrine: the divine truths as we understand them currently.

Commandments: the actions God asks us to take currently.  

---Both of these do change through time---

Doctrine: more truth can be revealed to us / our understanding of previous truths can be clarified.  Note: eternal Truth itself doesn't change, but rather our limited understanding of it changes (aka doctrine).

Commandments: God asks us to do different things as we (individually and as a people mature).  It's very similar to how I ask my daughter to do different things now that she's more capable and understanding now than when she was a baby.

just one of many. he is notable however for being given the task of a few things:

translating the book of mormon

returning the authority to act in god's name to mankind in general

and being given the task of bringing about the works of salvation for the dead.

the first prophet of God on this earth that we know of was Adam (husband to Eve).

Prison chaplain can probably answer for christians a bit better than I could... but i'll try here.

for most non catholic christians the last prophets would be the 12 disciples and Christ. Muslims believe that Mohammed was the last prophet in a line of prophets.

And for some you have the apostolic fathers who're in a position that's held similar to the disciples but not exactly the same but were considered to have the same authority.

however at some point this authority was lost by the time of Joseph Smith. (according to LDS)

LDS doctrine could change virtually tomorrow if the President Monson received a new revelation today overturning current doctrine. Its not very likely, but it has, and can happen.

This is untrue, LDS Doctrine cannot change and if President Monson tried to change our doctrine he would be mistaken. That said President Monson could receive revelation expanding on current doctrine or introduce new doctrine, but cannot change doctrine.

And of course in practice among (some LDS) a difference between old and new prophets in terms of how much attention one pays is sometimes directly proportional to how closely the given prophet's statements adhere to one's current political leaning, or so it appears. 

I'm wondering if you feel your questions were answered to your satisfaction.  I'm thinking that one sometimes runs the risk of asking what time it is and getting told... (I'm sure you know the rest).  :)

no. commandments and doctrines are a bit different from each other but have a lot of overlap

Doctrines are truths and teachings, Commandments are commands from God- so the commandments will be found within the doctrines, but doctrines also have more than just commandments.

This is untrue, LDS Doctrine cannot change and if President Monson tried to change our doctrine he would be mistaken. That said President Monson could receive revelation expanding on current doctrine or introduce new doctrine, but cannot change doctrine.

That depends on what your definition of "doctrine" is?

If by "doctrine" you mean only those principles that will ensure the salvation of those who accept and act upon them (This is my doctrine,...that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me. And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God) then I agree. These principles are fixed and unchanging.
However, if by "doctrine" you include all of the revealed teachings that are either aspects of the doctrine of Jesus Christ or extensions, elaborations, or appendages of it, then I disagree. These can and have changed over time. 
Edited by Capitalist_Oinker