TED Talk" Let's Talk about Parenting Taboos...

Guest LiterateParakeet

As you said, funny.  Thoughtful and thought provoking.  I personally can relate to just about everything this lovely couple had to share.  For me, a significant take-away is that information carries an inherent potential for scariness.  But the benefit-potential is great, and it beats ignorance hands down.  Thanks for bringing this particular TED talk to my attention.  :)

Guest LiterateParakeet

I thought it was thought provoking too. I like their idea about telling the truth. It's better to know.

For example, I teach my kids when they are old enough that yes your mission will be the best two years of your life (thus far), but opposition in all things mean that they will also have some very difficult times.

I thought it was thought provoking too. I like their idea about telling the truth. It's better to know.

For example, I teach my kids when they are old enough that yes your mission will be the best two years of your life (thus far), but opposition in all things mean that they will also have some very difficult times.

Yes, I think I understand your example.  I have observed the unnecessary stress one can get set-up for when unaware of what you just described.  In the talk I particularly appreciated the example of another culture's approach to providing emotional support.  I often find it fascinating to learn about how other cultures build different roads to reach the same destination, so to speak.

Guest LiterateParakeet

In the talk I particularly appreciated the example of another culture's approach to providing emotional support.  I often find it fascinating to learn about how other cultures build different roads to reach the same destination, so to speak.

Oh yes, I'm glad you mentioned that. I really liked that part too.