Why do we need friends if we have God to rely on?

richard7900

Are friends or other mortals significant in our lives concerning the issue of success in life,  in light of the fact that we can call on God to help us succeed in life and overcome?

I ask because I'm rather a failure. And wonder whether I should bother or plan to place some kind of reliance on "mere" mortals to improve my situation.

Edited by richard7900

Are friends or other mortals significant in our lives concerning the issue of success in life,  in light of the fact that we can call on God to help us succeed in life and overcome?

I ask because I'm rather a failure. And wonder whether I should bother or plan to place some kind of reliance on "mere" mortals to improve my situation.

"I'm rather a failure" is a wide open statement. A failure at what? School? Work? Finding love? Finding friends? To which I would respond, nobody is a nobody to the Lord. He died for you and your faults as well as me and mine. You have talents, polish them. You have faults? So do we all. Lose yourself in service to others, seeking nothing  in return and you will will discover friends among the friendless, friends among the helpless, and at times, friends among the hopeless.

The mirror is an enemy, its how your seen reflected in the eyes of others where truth is.

Consider the following verses:

Matt. 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Luke 14:12-14 “Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind: And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.”

Mosiah 4:16 And also, ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish.”

How can one be a failure when they are helping others...often we have a misplaced view of what true success and failure is.

Take care,

John

Guest MormonGator

Yes we need God but friends make your life worth living. I'm the luckiest man in the world, my friends (both online and not) are amazing. 

Blunt truth-Choose to be happy. If you are sullen, cynical, whine all the time and act miserable you have no right to complain about why you are unpopular. 

No, I am  NOT saying you act that way. Just some thoughts. It's been my experience that many people who complain about being friendless are unable to change themselves and like the doom and gloom. 

Edited by MormonGator

Isn't this why God puts us in families... and into ward families... so that we have these types of support groups to help us through life.

C.S. Lewis said, "We need others physically, emotionally, intellectually; we need them if we are to know anything, even ourselves."

Lots of scriptures talk about God wanting us to have good relationships with people. "It is not good that man should be alone". "If ye are not one, ye are not mine".  Others about marriage, fellowshipping, charity, etc. 

One of my favorite passages is when Alma the Younger runs into his old friends, and rejoices that they are still brothers in the Gospel.

He wants us to have companionship and friendship because He knows it's better for us. Relationships push us to positive change. They stretch us to become better people. And we are not meant to be alone. He wants us to be happy.

Most humans are hardwired to be social creatures, needing to love and be loved, to need and be needed by.

If you don't have that wiring, it's no skin off my nose.  But I'd think that for every thousand people trying to talk themselves out of needing friends, 995 of them have just been hurt somehow and don't want to risk further pain, but still have the same regular hardwiring.

Introversion is fine--though American culture does not value it much.  We are commanded to love one another, though.  Christianity (and LDS spirituality even more so, perhaps) is meant to be lived out in community.  However, God may have made you such that your love is expressed in the prayer closet, behind the scenes, and through individually-produced arts, etc.  I'm pretty loud, but I am smart enough to know that quieter people are often closer to God, 'cause when you get that close you don't have to broadcast it.

Are friends or other mortals significant in our lives concerning the issue of success in life, in light of the fact that we can call on God to help us succeed in life and overcome?

God our Father encourages friends and associations, and the command as it relates to those in Church to strengen and edify us...as long as they are doing so and not dragging us down. Calling yourself a failure is not productive as failing only need be a temporary part of life. Also we learn a great deal from our failures...so not always a bad thing. Edited by Pa Pa

Seems to me the entire question is backwards and, likely, the root of the problem.

Worrying about others helping us succeed vs. worrying about helping others succeed...

In other words going about the business of our Father, forgetting ourselves, and doing His will, which is the immortality and eternal life of mankind. Can one be considered "succeeding" with succeeding in this work?

Seems to me the entire question is backwards and, likely, the root of the problem.

Worrying about others helping us succeed vs. worrying about helping others succeed...

In other words going about the business of our Father, forgetting ourselves, and doing His will, which is the immortality and eternal life of mankind. Can one be considered "succeeding" with succeeding in this work?

Interesting: Person (me)  poses question: "Why do we need friends if we have God to rely on?"

Simple question for debate.  But also raises the unfounded speculation that in simply exploring the issue of friendship and it's role in success, this examination of the issue is taken as evidence of the cause of my failures. Such speculation is unwise. For the record, I never seek to blame others for my failures. And thinking about how friends might be helpful in life, is not to taken as a reason for my failures or anyone's for that matter.

Can we just have honest debate on friendhip and it's role in success? Without geetting into unwise speculations.

Edited by richard7900

Most humans are hardwired to be social creatures, needing to love and be loved, to need and be needed by.

If you don't have that wiring, it's no skin off my nose....

Oh, really. Speculating that I'm perhaps  not hardwired to be a social creature. Not wise.  Shows that you are unwise. Stupid speculation. Contentious speculation. Trolling I think.

Edited by richard7900

I totally get your philosophical ponderings. I am very, very introverted—89% according to the Jung typology test. I’ve often wondered to what extent people help and influence others. When I first read the C.S. Lewis quote from my above post, I had a very strong negative reaction to it. I still wonder to what extent he is correct in his statement. Mostly I wonder about my own influence on others as I can easily recognize the influence others have had on me.

Prisonchaplain is right. Introversion is not a highly thought of trait in American culture. Most introverts are all too familiar with that. “You’re SOOOO quite,” is an all too common remark from people at school or work. Or the more to the point remark, “you’re too quite.” I even had a couple of people in the church tell me that being so quiet makes people think you’re a snob. I got to the point where I just shrugged and thought “fine, I’m a snob.” If people want to hold on to their perception of me rather than actually trying to get to know me, then… whatever. There are introverted ideas in the gospel, but there are also plenty of extroverted ones too (as others have pointed out). Both are important, but more often than not the introverted ones get pushed to the side. Actually, the extroverted ones are just easier to see as the introverted ones are mostly meant to be done in solitude. I’m lucky I grew up in the church and have that familiarity. I can’t imagine what it must be like for introverted converts.

I’ve been reading a book called Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain. It’s full of some interesting research and scientific studies and focuses mainly on American culture with its extrovert ideal. You might find it interesting. You can also watch the author’s TED talk on introversion at this link: http://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain_the_power_of_introverts?language=en

Interesting: Person (me)  poses question: "Why do we need friends if we have God to rely on?"

Simple question for debate.  But also raises the unfounded speculation that in simply exploring the issue of friendship and it's role in success, this examination of the issue is taken as evidence of the cause of my failures. Such speculation is unwise. For the record, I never seek to blame others for my failures. And thinking about how friends might be helpful in life, is not to taken as a reason for my failures or anyone's for that matter.

Can we just have honest debate on friendhip and it's role in success? Without geetting into unwise speculations.

Why is your speculation that I'm speculating about the cause of your failures legitimate then?

Please re-read my response carefully. I do not address your status directly at all. I am responding to the philosophical question. If you want honest debate, then you need to avoid defensive implications of criticism and accusation that do not exist as well.

Are friends or other mortals significant in our lives concerning the issue of success in life,  in light of the fact that we can call on God to help us succeed in life and overcome? ...

Since you mentioned elsewhere in this thread that you are interested in honest debate, I'll bite.  You've proposed an issue, i.e. [are friends and other mortals significant concerning success in life?].  I'll take the position, yes they are significant concerning success in life.  Should I presume you wish to debate from the opposite position?  Or, do I have it backward?

Why is your speculation that I'm speculating about the cause of your failures legitimate then?

Please re-read my response carefully. I do not address your status directly at all. I am responding to the philosophical question. If you want honest debate, then you need to avoid defensive implications of criticism and accusation that do not exist as well.

You said: "Seems to me the entire question is backwards and, likely, the root of the problem."

And you are holding out that this statement of yours is not speculation on your part?

You are having everyone believe that you are not alluding to my failures when you say "root of the problem"?

That by saying "Worrying about others helping us succeed vs. worrying about helping others succeed..." you fully expect everyone to believe is not an attempt to speculate as to the cause of any failures I might have? 

Since you mentioned elsewhere in this thread that you are interested in honest debate, I'll bite.  You've proposed an issue, i.e. [are friends and other mortals significant concerning success in life?].  I'll take the position, yes they are significant concerning success in life.  Should I presume you wish to debate from the opposite position?  Or, do I have it backwards?

I'm actually just curious what people might say about the significance of mortals, which may include friends, on a person's success in life. I'm mostly alluding to success associated with the "working part" of one's life. There is a need to be in gainful employment, whether working for another or for yourself.

There isn't probably much to debate about though, when I think about it. I guess it's a no-brainer that the reason why we need friends or other mortals, with respect to our work activities in this life, is that life works out that way better when friends or just people are part of things.

Edited by richard7900

Oh, really. Speculating that I'm perhaps  not hardwired to be a social creature. Not wise.  Shows that you are unwise. Stupid speculation. Contentious speculation. Trolling I think.

You must keep in mind that many times when we respond and say you or  you're etc, it is meant as a general statement and not necessarily directed to the person we are responding to.

You said: "Seems to me the entire question is backwards and, likely, the root of the problem."

And you are holding out that this statement of yours is not speculation on your part?

You are having everyone believe that you are not alluding to my failures when you say "root of the problem"?

That by saying "Worrying about others helping us succeed vs. worrying about helping others succeed..." you fully expect everyone to believe is not an attempt to speculate as to the cause of any failures I might have? 

Seems to me there's only one of us determined to argue here. I'll leave it to you to figure out who it is.

The chip-on-shoulder approach to online discussion is a sure-fire way to get nowhere. If you're so certain I was just attacking you and are entirely unwilling to consider the merit of my point on it's philosophical value...then that's your business. I'm not going to argue with you about it.

Yes people are important in being successful in life, both temporally and spiritually. Our leaders and if you look at other successful people they are well socialized. God helps us when we help our selves, want a good job? you better put yoru self out there, network, etc.

Want a promotion you better put yourself out there....do extra projects, make friends in the work place etc.

You mention that you are a failure...why would you mention this if you don't want anyone to comment on it? sounds a little trollish to me

Yes people are important in being successful in life, both temporally and spiritually. Our leaders and if you look at other successful people they are well socialized. God helps us when we help our selves, want a good job? you better put yoru self out there, network, etc.

Want a promotion you better put yourself out there....do extra projects, make friends in the work place etc.

You mention that you are a failure...why would you mention this if you don't want anyone to comment on it? sounds a little trollish to me

Rather sad when someone says they are a bit of a failure and that gets taken as trolling. Gosh.

Interesting: Person (me) poses question: "Why do we need friends if we have God to rely on?"

Simple question for debate. But also raises the unfounded speculation that in simply exploring the issue of friendship and it's role in success, this examination of the issue is taken as evidence of the cause of my failures. Such speculation is unwise. For the record, I never seek to blame others for my failures. And thinking about how friends might be helpful in life, is not to taken as a reason for my failures or anyone's for that matter.

We were just responding to your entire thread...not just the thread title. Forgive our concern.