Home teachers...

Guest MormonGator

Does anyone else think home teaching is one of the greatest and most underrated programs our church offers? 

My home teachers came over last night and we had a blast. After the lesson we just talked and hung out a bit. I mentioned how odd it was that other churches don't have this type of thing. Isn't it a huge blessing? 

Not sure who my home teachers are for, well, about a year now.

I know it's not the last set that came over, because one of them has been my HT companion for a year.

Wasn't really an issue until we got the new sister missionaries.  They're good, but can't exactly give a blessing if needed.

Guest MormonGator

Sorry to hear that. I'm a bad Latter Day Saint in many ways but I always try to at least email my people every week just to check in. 

We were put to the test here in Houston with the flooding. Everyone was to check in with their families and report back ASAP so that it could be reported to the Stake or so that help could immediately follow. Since I have families that I have good communication with, and communications were not affected, all I needed to do was text them. We also have a "Friends of ____ Ward" page on FB and it was a good tool for everyone to report back on. 

One of my families couldn't drive out of his neighborhood or driveway because the waters were too high in the street, they had electricity, the house wasn't flooded and they had food and were okay. Moving from Utah, we always talked about a disaster plan, but seeing it in action was impressive and I felt good seeing the ensuing attempt to make sure everyone was alright. We were checked up on by my wifes Visiting Teachers, but sadly, I don't think I have Home Teachers. 

The well being of every member is the reason we have Home/Visiting teaching, not just spiritually, but temporally also. Both in times of plenty and in times of need. 

Edited by EarlJibbs

Guest MormonGator

We were put to the test here in Houston with the flooding. Everyone was to check in with their families and report back ASAP so that it could be reported to the Stake or so that help could immediately follow. Since I have families that I have good communication with, and communications were not affected, all I needed to do was text them. We also have a "Friends of ____ Ward" page on FB and it was a good tool for everyone to report back on. 

One of my families couldn't drive out of his neighborhood or driveway because the waters were too high in the street, they had electricity, the house wasn't flooded and they had food and were okay. Moving from Utah, we always talked about a disaster plan, but seeing it in action was impressive and I felt good seeing the ensuing attempt to make sure everyone was alright. We were checked up on by my wifes Visiting Teachers, but sadly, I don't think I have Home Teachers. 

The well being of every member is the reason we have Home/Visiting teaching, not just spiritually, but temporally also. Both in times of plenty and in times of need. 

You are in Texas now? I'm praying for your state. A few of my close friends are there now too and I'm very worried about them. 

Stay safe. 

Does anyone else think home teaching is one of the greatest and most underrated programs our church offers? 

My home teachers came over last night and we had a blast. After the lesson we just talked and hung out a bit. I mentioned how odd it was that other churches don't have this type of thing. Isn't it a huge blessing? 

It can be a sensitive topic for some. I've given unfavorable responses in the forum, in the past. I agree that it can be a powerful program. I think it necessary. I wish it was better administered. I just had my HTs move and they were exactly what I expected or wanted in HT. They came regularly, provided a message and support, and stayed only as long as we were comfortable.

I know it's not the last set that came over, because one of them has been my HT companion for a year.

Wasn't really an issue until we got the new sister missionaries.  They're good, but can't exactly give a blessing if needed.

Sister missionaries don't do home teaching as designed in the home teaching program.

Guest MormonGator

It can be a sensitive topic for some. 

I know what you mean and while I'm sympathetic to that, virtually every topic can be sensitive. Like the famous quote by Aristotle "There is only way to avoid critics-say nothing, do nothing, be nothing" 

Sister missionaries don't do home teaching as designed in the home teaching program.

Neither did either of my last couple sets of HTs.  They mostly just showed up, prayed, helped with something for 20-30 minutes and then checked off my name for the month.

They did tend to bring snacks, though.

And I did have one do the classic show-up-at-11:45-on-the-last-night-of-the-month-chat-for-30-minutes-and-check-off-two-months.  In (some) fairness, he knew I was up late anyway.

Edited by NightSG

Neither did either of my last couple sets of HTs.  They mostly just showed up, prayed, helped with something for 20-30 minutes and then checked off my name for the month.

They did tend to bring snacks, though.

And I did have one do the classic show-up-at-11:45-on-the-last-night-of-the-month-chat-for-30-minutes-and-check-off-two-months.  In (some) fairness, he knew I was up late anyway.

Perhaps you missed my point. Sister missionaries don't do home teaching. So you can't really say that things changed when sister missionaries came into the area.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I think NightSG meant that people always say when you need a blessing "call the home teachers". People with absentee HTS call the Elders. But with Sisters in the ward that Avenue is gone, so who to call for a blessing?

Pesonally, if my husband couldn't do it I would ask a friend.

Edited by LiterateParakeet

I have some really neat families that I Hometeach and I enjoy visiting them. I have mentioned this before .....we have not had a home teacher in our home in over 20 years. I am not making that up. We don't complain ..... If we need a blessing we ask our Son and our son in laws.

I think NightSG meant that people always say when you need a blessing "call the home teachers". People with absentee HTS call the Elders. But with Sisters in the ward that Avenue is gone, so who to call for a blessing?

We do have Spanish Elders, (Spanish speaking but raised on English) but I hate to intrude on their time.  I'm not sure how it looks for them when they're specifically requested for something non-Spanish-speaking.

Pesonally, if my husband couldn't do it I would ask a friend.

It's a small ward; most of my local LDS friends are less-active-to-completely-inactive and most of my active friends are over an hour away.

Edited by NightSG

Guest MormonGator

We do have Spanish Elders, (Spanish speaking but raised on English) but I hate to intrude on their time.  I'm not sure how it looks for them when they're specifically requested for something non-Spanish-speaking.

Believe me my friend, it's not an intrusion in the least. As we all know the priesthood isn't about you, it's about service (yes it's deeper than that). 

If a priesthood holder does act like it's an inconvenience, simply put, I'd tell them to snap out of it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Believe me my friend, it's not an intrusion in the least. As we all know the priesthood isn't about you, it's about service (yes it's deeper than that). 

Oh I have no doubt that any missionary called on to help anyone would be happy to do so, but I don't know how the local leadership would feel if folks started making a habit of it.

Then again, if local leadership would make more of an effort to keep everyone informed as to who their current HT/VTs are, it wouldn't be an issue.  I don't really mind them not showing up monthly, but I would like to be able to call on them at need.

Oh I have no doubt that any missionary called on to help anyone would be happy to do so, but I don't know how the local leadership would feel if folks started making a habit of it.

Then again, if local leadership would make more of an effort to keep everyone informed as to who their current HT/VTs are, it wouldn't be an issue.  I don't really mind them not showing up monthly, but I would like to be able to call on them at need.

How hard is it, really, for you to ask your elders quorum president next Sunday at church?

How hard is it, really, for you to ask your elders quorum president next Sunday at church?

I agree with you ...... We always want to cast blame instead of putting some of that on ourselves. I know who my home teacher is even though they don't come. I find out because I ask who it is.

Guest MormonGator

For me it isn't hard at all but for some it might be. Maybe they view it as pestering him or something. 

Since coming back to church in October, I have seen HTs twice and VTs once. It is what it is. I have a strong social support and many that I know I can turn to when I need a blessing, even without the assigned support. It's nice to know someone has my back in this world.

Ironically, I was assigned my boyfriend a week or two before we started dating, and then ended up teaching me shortly after we started dating (it was scheduled before that occurred). Then the next month, HTs were reassigned due to the shift at the end of the school year in the YSA branch, and now the EQP is my HT.

After I got off my mission I worked for a year, then an opportunity came up for me to teach english in Japan on a 6 month contract. When I got there I quickly found the local ward, went to church and met the members and leaders. The second week at church they introduced me to my home teachers. The third week was the last time that I went to church as I slowly met non-member friends and found other things to do on sundays.

The first, second, third, and fourth month I got no contact from my HT's. At this point I was inactive and not happy about certain choices I had made. I had a picture of Jesus Christ hanging on the wall and I would look at it everyday thinking about how much I loved him but was so sorry for my actions. It felt as though my apartment was dark and gloomy and I noticed that I had cause the spirit to withdraw itself, I remember one time even crying and feeling sad for myself.

During the fifth month I was laying in my living room watching tv, the phone rang and I answered it, it was my hometeacher calling to schedule a visit, his voice carried the Holy Ghost and I felt it through the phone. He and his partner came over the next week and when they walked in they brought the spirit back into my apartment as it was also emanating within them.

This experience was a clear testament to me that home teaching and visiting teaching is of the Lord, when we are on the Lord's errand he is also with us to bless the lives of our fellow saints.

Its sad that us members get too caught up in thinking that it is an "assignment", an "assigned friend" or whatever. It really is a blessing and I didnt realize it until I experienced it first hand.

Edited by priesthoodpower

After I got off my mission I worked for a year, then an opportunity came up for me to teach english in Japan on a 6 month contract. When I got there I quickly found the local ward, went to church and met the members and leaders. The second week at church they introduced me to my home teachers. The third week was the last time that I went to church as I slowly met non-member friends and found other things to do on sundays.

The first, second, third, and fourth month I got no contact from my HT's. At this point I was inactive and not happy about certain choices I had made. I had a picture of Jesus Christ hanging on the wall and I would look at it everyday thinking about how much I loved him but was so sorry for my actions. It felt as though my apartment was dark and gloomy and I noticed that I had cause the spirit to withdraw itself, I remember one time even crying and feeling sad for myself.

During the fifth month I was laying in my living room watching tv, the phone rang and I answered it, it was my hometeacher calling to schedule a visit, his voice carried the Holy Ghost and I felt it through the phone. He and his partner came over the next week and when they walked in they brought the spirit back into my apartment as it was also emanating within them.

This experience was a clear testament to me that home teaching and visiting teaching is of the Lord, when we are on the Lord's errand he is also with us to bless the lives of our fellow saints.

Its sad that us members get too caught up in thinking that it is an "assignment", an "assigned friend" or whatever. It really is a blessing and I didnt realize it until I experienced it first hand.

Thanks for sharing that testimony ......awesome