Skirts and garments

yoyoteacher

I am currently trying to weed through my wardrobe and figure out what I can and cannot wear with my garments. Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my knee length skirts. I worry that I am showing off the hemline of my garments in the back, as I am a teacher and I know my back view is what's seen by many awkward, harshly critical middle school eyes. And when I sit, I can feel where the underside of my garments are exposed due to the nature of sitting in a skirt and how it rides.

Does anyone have any advice as far as what to do to help cover up that area? And maybe it is the garment fabric. I know the drilux I wore yesterday felt shorter in the leg than the drisilque did, and these carinessas feel long in comparison, too. I just don't want to be showing them off to the world, you know?

Might have been here, or elsewhere, but I remember someone mentioning adding lace or some other fabric at the hemline for an additional inch or two. The trick would be to find a material/colour that doesn't make the skirt look tacky.

Play "heads, shoulders, knees, and toes" in front of a mirror to see that everything is covered. I wear opaque tights with my skirts in the cooler months, but in the summer I just make sure my skirts cover the knee. 

Thank you for the advice, Eowyn! I think I am going to just start doing that in the morning before I leave for the day. Trying on my entire wardrobe was a little overwhelming, though it felt productive at the time. I do have three or four items that a clear no; I have a dress that I used to wear with leggings underneath, but it hits so high that I don't feel I could ever be comfortable in it.

They have "short" bottoms, for those with shorter legs, if your legs are of normal length these will ride 2-3 inchs higher

or you could just roll them up...(I AM JOKING) don't do this.

The lady at the distribution center did suggest petite bottoms (with drisilque in particular because of how they looked when she was holding them up to me), but I feel like I would be bending the rules (so to speak) by buying petites as I am 5'7" tall and have fairly long legs that are proportional when it comes to thigh length and calf length (it's not as though my thighs are super short compared to my calves, thus making my thighs more petite).

I actually brought the regulars and the petites of the drisilque with me to the temple and ended up wearing the petites when I left because the regulars were hitting in the middle of my knee caps and were blatantly showing under my dress.

They have "short" bottoms, for those with shorter legs, if your legs are of normal length these will ride 2-3 inchs higher

or you could just roll them up...(I AM JOKING) don't do this.

They do have petite sizes intended for those who actually are.   They are not intended to allow average/taller women to wear shorter skirts.   I know women who are 5' 9" and taller who brag about buying the petite bottoms so that they can wear short skirts and shorts.  Obviously, that is not the intention of making petite sizes available.

My skirts are always mid-knee or just below the knee.  For whatever reason, yes, the different fabrics seem to hit at different lengths.  I just experimented until I figured out which ones work best for me.  Some of the cotton-based fabrics seem to "grow" during the day and end up longer on me later in the day, so I am careful about those. But I do wear Dri-Lux most of the time. They didn't make Carinessa bottoms in petite when I was first endowed, but they do now and I find those to come down the furthest on me of all of the fabrics.

I can't remember any specific names right now, but there are at least a couple of companies that cater to the LDS world that make these slips that have various kinds of material at the bottom to extend your skirt. I know they advertise in LDS Living, but you could probably find them with a Google search.  Some I think aren't so great - it just looks like your slip is showing...badly.  But others look like a layered-skirt effect.  I saw a woman at church one day who really made it work well. It just looked like a cute, layered skirt.

The lady at the distribution center did suggest petite bottoms (with drisilque in particular because of how they looked when she was holding them up to me), but I feel like I would be bending the rules (so to speak) by buying petites as I am 5'7" tall and have fairly long legs that are proportional when it comes to thigh length and calf length (it's not as though my thighs are super short compared to my calves, thus making my thighs more petite).

I actually brought the regulars and the petites of the drisilque with me to the temple and ended up wearing the petites when I left because the regulars were hitting in the middle of my knee caps and were blatantly showing under my dress.

There is also the option of having them made to order.  Body proportions are unique and some people have challenges with the "stock" sizes.   I think Anatess gets her garments this way, so she might have some advice.

I still find it kind of weird that the fit can vary so much from one material to the next, but it is what it is.  When I went to buy garments just before my endowment, I took a friend from the ward and between her and the woman at the distribution center, they did a pretty good job of guiding me.  And the temple worker assigned to me gave me some invaluable advice (feel free to PM me).  Even so, a lot of it boiled down to just trying the different fabrics until I found what works best.  I found I like a wider array of the bottoms than I do the tops. 

Oh....and then just when you have it all figured out....they change the sizing...they change the material....  :)

I'm 5'0". I special order my garments. But, you don't get to choose how long your bottoms are gonna be. This is how it works - they ask you for your measurements and then they send you garments sized to your measurements. So you don't say - I want 15" bottoms... Rather, you tell them the distance from your crotch to your knee and they give you garments.

Of course, you can lie and tell them you're a midget and get short garments... but then, if you're just gonna lie about it, then why bother wearing garments, right?

So anyway, I got my garments and went through my entire wardrobe and boxed up every single flowy skirt I own that doesn't cover my entire kneecaps. I only kept the pencil cuts that go with my suits that fall an inch above my knee. Those ride up with the garments so they're cool.

After a while, I started buying wool skirts that go above my knee. I wear leggings under those, though. Living in Florida, I only wear those a month out of an entire year.

So yeah, my first year with garments was a wardrobe overhaul. I had so many cutesy outfits that was very hard to part with that I had to put away. A lot of them were custom-made outfits from the Philippines that I can't replace (and can't sell in consignment either) and outfits that my mom gave me. But, hey... I put them in the box, gave the box to my nieces and never looked back.

This is actually one of the reasons I buy a variety of styles and fabrics. I agree with those who say you're blurring a line if you are actively seeking to find the shortest possible garments, but I do find different garments wear differently with different clothes and I see nothing wrong with using that to my advantage.

With shorts and knee-length skirts, I find my cotton bottoms are the best as they are not rigidly attached to my thigh. By this  i mean they will hang in a fairly predictable way and move when I bend my knees.

Thanks ladies, for the advice. I'm going to buy a variety tomorrow when I go back to the distribution center.

And, on a side note: is it necessary to wear nylon tights in the temple, or would it be okay to wear long white socks? I would love to eventually knit a pair of socks for temple wear, but I don't know if that is appropriate or would be okay. Just wanted to ask some more knowledgeable individuals on the subject.

• 2 years later...

You might be more comfortable in a teaching environment (did you mean as a profession, or in church?) wearing midi or maxi skirts / dresses, or pants. If you can choose pants, choose pants. If I were teaching middle schoolers I would be dressed purely for comfort and convenience as far to the edge as a professional dress code would allow. You're there to provide instruction, not to look attractive or feel self-conscious about your underwear slipping out.

I don't mean that to sound harsh, just saying that's not something I want to worry about middle schoolers snickering about, because they will.