High Priest class

I recently returned from a two week fishing trip in Alaska, and while the rest of you are at church (and I'm unfortunately at work) I thought I'd relate a little story about my visit to a ward while I was there. 

Because of the Church callings I've had for the past 15+ years I haven't attended a HP group class during that time. Last Sunday I did, and if my memory hasn't failed, not much has changed. 

The subject of the lesson was the Holy Ghost, and with the exception of an opening statement by the instructor I don't recall the Holy Ghost being mentioned during the next hour. 

The discussion began with a note about Father's Day, followed by a discussion of Father's Day gifts, which transitioned into a discussion of tools and home repairs, which somehow morphed into a discussion about old John Wayne movies, which mysteriously evolved into a debate about disciplining children. 

It might sound contradictory, but I found myself amused and depressed at the same time. I should have tried to steer the conversation back to the lesson subject but instead I just kept my mouth shut and watched the clock.

Like I said, it's been 15+ years since I sat in a High Priest class, and it seems like it was much the same back then.

How does it go for those of you who attend regularly in your own wards?
Edited by Capitalist_Oinker

My classes are never like that. I don't recall it ever being so. I did a six year stint in Primary, which I loved, and dreaded going back to HP but it is painful only because the discussion part is too light and it drags the meeting on. I might like a bit of levity in the meeting. I'm not going to hope for it, as I don't want to be the next leader.

Re-reading my post, I hope I didn't confuse by using saying "light" and "levity" in adjoining sentences. I meant to say there is not enough discussion and that leads to a rather somber and boring meeting. 

Edited by sxfritz

I currently meet with the deacons, so I haven't been with the high priests in some time. But I love my high priest group meetings. They occasionally drag, but usually they are filled with interesting, lively conversation and testimony. I have a great bunch of men in my group, and meeting with them has been a highlight of many of my past (and, I hope, future) Sundays.

Guest MormonGator

I currently meet with the deacons, so I haven't been with the high priests in some time. But I love my high priest group meetings. They occasionally drag, but usually they are filled with interesting, lively conversation and testimony. I have a great bunch of men in my group, and meeting with them has been a highlight of many of my past (and, I hope, future) Sundays.

Oh I do too! I love going to church for all three hours, but in particular for Elders quorum.I understand what you are saying completely. 

I visited St George and Torrey Utah in May for services.  I found both places to have a very good and focused high Priest meeting with very excellent teachers who knew the material, the lesson, but kept it very lively by asking questions, asking and allowing brief anecdotes from the members, and also making a moving target (moving out to the sides from the podium).

Basically the same as we have here in the Lomita Ward.

Just good stuff.

Now, I don't know about Alaska.  Who knows what might go on up there.  I'm tempted to say maybe they are all life long members and just bored with the material (know it backward and forward) but certainly in Utah, and also here the vast majority are life long members, and still entirely focused on the material.

dc

The subject of the lesson was the Holy Ghost, and with the exception of an opening statement by the instructor I don't recall the Holy Ghost being mentioned during the next hour. 

The discussion began with a note about Father's Day, followed by a discussion of Father's Day gifts, which transitioned into a discussion of tools and home repairs, which somehow morphed into a discussion about old John Wayne movies, which mysteriously evolved into a debate about disciplining children. 

It might sound contradictory, but I found myself amused and depressed at the same time. I should have tried to steer the conversation back to the lesson subject but instead I just kept my mouth shut and watched the clock.

No offense but I think you might be a little uptight and on that particular sunday your expectations were not met. I think the shock of returning to the HP class after 15 years of absence is what you are dealing with. After a while as you regularly attend you will get back into the groove of things.

Its kind of like the following 2 arguments the anti-mormons say,

1. "I never heard the words 'Jesus Christ' mentioned once during church!"

- well if you listened to every prayer I can guarantee you it was mentioned atleast 8 times in the 3 hour block.

2. "I went to their Gospel Doctrine class and all they talked about was Joseph Smith and his teachings, they dont teach about Christ!"

- this particular year we are studying the Doctrine & Covenants, next year we study old testament, the following year we study the new testament. We also have other activities and resources during the week (outside of the 3 hour sunday service) that we study and worship Jesust Christ.  

"No offense but I think you might be a little uptight..."

Well no offense, but I think you should brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

First off, my 15 year absence has been due to callings which have prevented me from attending HP class, and it will be another two to three years before that possibly changes. Consequently I cannot "get back into the groove of things."

Second, I didn't experience a "shock" from attending the class, and your two arguments aren't the least bit illustrative of the problem. It had nothing to do with my not listening or paying attention. I've been around long enough to recognize when the Spirit is present, and if He was present in that class He was certainly keeping a low profile.

As I said, 15+ years ago when I attended the last HP class I remember it much the same way. My concern was that the problem may be wide spread, but after reading the previous posts I'm happy to say that it appears not to be the case.

No offense but I think you might be a little uptight and on that particular sunday your expectations were not met. I think the shock of returning to the HP class after 15 years of absence is what you are dealing with. After a while as you regularly attend you will get back into the groove of things.

Its kind of like the following 2 arguments the anti-mormons say,

1. "I never heard the words 'Jesus Christ' mentioned once during church!"

- well if you listened to every prayer I can guarantee you it was mentioned atleast 8 times in the 3 hour block.

2. "I went to their Gospel Doctrine class and all they talked about was Joseph Smith and his teachings, they dont teach about Christ!"

- this particular year we are studying the Doctrine & Covenants, next year we study old testament, the following year we study the new testament. We also have other activities and resources during the week (outside of the 3 hour sunday service) that we study and worship Jesust Christ.  

I am sure you will be dismissive of my response because I'm not a guy, but I just have to say....

Uptight?  Really?  I don't see anything in his post that would indicate anything of the sort.

Why drag anti-Mormons into this?  What have they got to do with this topic?  Your comments make it look like that's what you think he is, when he is not.

Did you miss the part about what the subject of the class was?  They were having a lesson on the Holy Ghost yet there were no references to the Holy Ghost during the class.  Much different situation than the example you dragged in out of left field.  I, too, would be confused if I attended a class wherein the topic was X, but X was never mentioned during the class.  Just doesn't make any sense.

As for the things actually talked about during the meeting.....tools, Father's Day gifts and everything but the actual topic of the class...I have to say I have never had an experience like that in any Relief Society meeting I have attended, nor any other class I have attended at church.   The OP's confusion/concern seems like a completely normal reaction, nothing "uptight" or "anti" about it.

As for the things actually talked about during the meeting.....tools, Father's Day gifts and everything but the actual topic of the class...I have to say I have never had an experience like that in any Relief Society meeting I have attended,...

We had one RS meeting when the lesson went poof!. That was when Pres. Hinckley died and the teacher tried to discuss the topic but several people in class was whispering among each other about President Monson getting called as the next Prophet. So the teacher ditched the lesson and talked about the process of "succession" when a prophet dies. But, in all the 15 years I've been going to that ward, that was the only time I remember where the lesson topic did not get discussed.

Edited by anatess

The High Priest Class I attend was quite exciting a few weeks ago ..... I am really stretching the word Exciting. Our HP Group leader told us he knew when the world was going to end. At first I thought he was joking .... He wasn't. I sit there and chuckle as this conversation took up the class time.

The High Priest Class I attend was quite exciting a few weeks ago ..... I am really stretching the word Exciting. Our HP Group leader told us he knew when the world was going to end. At first I thought he was joking .... He wasn't. I sit there and chuckle as this conversation took up the class time.

So what's the answer? When will it end?

How does it go for those of you who attend regularly in your own wards?

Im in EQ and this past year we have combined with the HP group atleast 4 times. Two of the older gentlemen (both of which were former bishops) talk too much and act like they are our wise old grand fathers. I really want to kick them out of the class or send the HP group back into their own classroom! But thats just my wards HP group, different from what your HP experience was but based on your expectations I thinnk you would fit in well with my wards HP group.

Outside of the classroom setting, the HP group members are all cool guys, yes, even those two chatter mouths. I just cant stand them in a classroom setting.

Edited by priesthoodpower

I should have tried to steer the conversation back to the lesson subject but instead I just kept my mouth shut and watched the clock.

Perhpas that was the Spirit nudging you ..? :) Not that it's your sole responsibility to guide the discussion or usurp it... especially when you're just visiting the Ward... still, you have a testimony... would that not invite the Spirit? Also, sometimes when we take a more active part in the discussion that can change how we personally perceive it ..

That being said, I don't know if it's all that unusual for a lesson to occasionally be derailed or lose focus sometimes... Not all teachers are equally adept at keeping discussions on topic.. especially in some wards where the level of experience may not be as deep as in some more "seasoned" wards.. And some High Priests may also have a tendency to ramble now and then (myself included...) :)

Guest MormonGator

t ..

That being said, I don't know if it's all that unusual for a lesson to occasionally be derailed or lose focus sometimes... Not all teachers are equally adept at keeping discussions on topic.. especially in some wards where the level of experience may not be as deep as in some more "seasoned" wards.. And some High Priests may also have a tendency to ramble now and then (myself included...) :)

Bluntly put, some of the best classes we've had have been when the teachers get off topic. 

I'm lucky though, the ward I'm in is filled with truly wonderful people. 

Edited by MormonGator

I recently returned from a two week fishing trip in Alaska, and while the rest of you are at church (and I'm unfortunately at work) I thought I'd relate a little story about my visit to a ward while I was there.

You are seriously going to judge a group of HP men in Alaska? You are not talking about your home wards HP group, or the HP group in some other major city in the greater 48? But a ward located in the boonies of Alaska? Where life is slow and laid back!

You have a screen name with "capitalist" in it and your location is Utah!! Is the rest of the church outside of Utah not living up to your standards?I guess we should all move to Utah and become a part of the true ZION!I hope you dont visit a ward in Japan because when they speak japanese and you cant understand a word you will start looking at the time and be disappointed again.

Bluntly put, some of the best classes we've had have been when the teachers get off topic. 

I'm lucky though, the ward I'm in is filled with truly wonderful people. 

Mormongator the Lord is listneing to people like you...the 2016 curriculum is geared more toward open discussion, spur of the moment, hot topic type of teaching. For example the lessons last week sunday could have been about the new supreme court ruling of same sex marriage. Our members want to talk about it and we will talk about it.

None of this "okay class lets talk about the Holy Ghost....", Hey teacher! we didnt talk about the holy ghost!

I am sure you will be dismissive of my response because I'm not a guy, but I just have to say....

Uptight?  Really?  I don't see anything in his post that would indicate anything of the sort.

Why drag anti-Mormons into this?  What have they got to do with this topic?  Your comments make it look like that's what you think he is, when he is not.

Did you miss the part about what the subject of the class was?  They were having a lesson on the Holy Ghost yet there were no references to the Holy Ghost during the class.  Much different situation than the example you dragged in out of left field.  I, too, would be confused if I attended a class wherein the topic was X, but X was never mentioned during the class.  Just doesn't make any sense.

As for the things actually talked about during the meeting.....tools, Father's Day gifts and everything but the actual topic of the class...I have to say I have never had an experience like that in any Relief Society meeting I have attended, nor any other class I have attended at church.   The OP's confusion/concern seems like a completely normal reaction, nothing "uptight" or "anti" about it.

Hi Leah, Im not dismissive of your response, Im flattered that you like to follow me around on this website and quote me. Have a great week!

C.O.

I should relate an experience I had at a out of town ward I was visiting at Sacrament meeting. It makes your experience seem tame.

It's too long a story, but concerned an extremely wild behaving female, perhaps age 50 or 60 who ominously chose to sit beside me thru' no fault of my own. (Other than there was space in my pew/row.)

Suffice it to say I was able to sneak out after the service when she wasn't looking.

The irony is that the speaker was speaking about how to keep the Sacrament meeting sacred, what not to do in Sacrament meeting, etc., all of which this woman was doing beside me.

I stared straight ahead so as not to see her, seeing the speaker out of the corner of my eye.

dc

Edited by David13

Mormongator the Lord is listneing to people like you...the 2016 curriculum is geared more toward open discussion, spur of the moment, hot topic type of teaching. For example the lessons last week sunday could have been about the new supreme court ruling of same sex marriage. Our members want to talk about it and we will talk about it.

None of this "okay class lets talk about the Holy Ghost....", Hey teacher! we didnt talk about the holy ghost!

Is it different in HP from EQ/RS? My husband teaches EQ and I used to teach RS and I was instructed to stick to the lesson and not veer into controversial stuff.

You are seriously going to judge a group of HP men in Alaska? You are not talking about your home wards HP group, or the HP group in some other major city in the greater 48? But a ward located in the boonies of Alaska? Where life is slow and laid back!

You have a screen name with "capitalist" in it and your location is Utah!! Is the rest of the church outside of Utah not living up to your standards?I guess we should all move to Utah and become a part of the true ZION!I hope you dont visit a ward in Japan because when they speak japanese and you cant understand a word you will start looking at the time and be disappointed again.

What's the matter, PP, did someone push your trike in the ditch?

For whatever reason you seem to have worked yourself into a frenzy over what I consider an innocuous post.

First off, I'm not judging anyone. I have no ill feelings toward HPs in Alaska (or anywhere else for that matter), and as far as being "in the boonies" and "slow and laid back" my home ward would give anyone in Alaska a run for their money.

Second, your verbal tantrum about my screen name, my standards, Utah being the "true Zion", and hypothetical problems I would have in Japan is just pitiful. You should look up the definition of "cheap shot".

I can assure you I have no standards I "expect" everyone else to live up to. My observation had NOTHING to do with the character or righteousness of the men in the class. My amusement and disappointment stemmed solely from the fact that the lesson evolved into discussions of things which provided NO edification whatsoever! I have since looked up and read the lesson (Chapter 12: "Seek the Spirit in All You Do") and I can't find a single reference to tools, home repairs, or disciplining children, much less John Wayne movies.

The lesson on the Holy Ghost was established and recommended by inspired men, and I seriously doubt they would consider it acceptable to discuss John Wayne as a substitute.

And finally, regarding your post to Gator about the curriculum being "geared more toward open discussion, spur of the moment, hot topic type of teaching"; you would do well to read the introduction to the current MP/RS manual (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Ezra Taft Benson) wherein it reads:

"If you are teaching a Melchizedek Priesthood or Relief Society lesson, you should not set this book aside or prepare a lesson from other materials. Prayerfully select from the chapter those teachings that you feel will be most helpful to those you teach."

You would also do well to read the "Teaching No Greater Call" manual, particularly lesson 14, wherein it reads:

"Many topics are interesting, important, and even relevant to life and yet not nourishing to the soul. It is not our commission to teach such topics. Instead, we are to edify others and teach them principles that pertain to the kingdom of God and the salvation of mankind."

NOWHERE does the Church recommend or advocate the substitution of manual lessons for current events or "hot topics".

Even with the new "Come Follow Me" curriculum for youth with its less structured lesson outlines there is NO advocacy for ignoring the listed lesson to give preference to current events or "hot topics".

If in the future your ward substitutes an approved lesson for a discussion about the SCOTUS ruling on same sex marriage, I'll make a prediction---

The Spirit will not be there.

Truthfully, I don't like going to HP. Also truthfully, it's mostly my own fault. 

I am 35 and have been a HP for 5 years. In those 5 years I have only just been able to attend the HP group meetings. I feel very disconnected to the group, since I am by far the youngest of them. I know there are things that I can do to enjoy it, but more often than not, I think of the others around my age with young families attending the EQ and become a little disconnected. Perhaps a little childish of me, but like I said, I know there are things I can do to enjoy them. Now that I have shared that with you good internet folks, I think I will try to make it a good experience.