The one time cold hard cash is gift worthy

Bini

I know that cash isn't considered a warm or sentimental gift but depending on the person it could be suitable. I'm going to a wedding/reception and the couple aren't just starting out. Both have been married before, both have children, both have homes with all the essentials inside. So I'm thinking a gift certificate somewhere is likely not as needed, I mean, why would it be? They don't need a microwave from Target or any one specific item, for that matter. The invitation does not mention any registry or preference for gifts, but being that it's a wedding, I'm pretty sure guests will arrive with something to offer. So maybe money? Any suggestions? (I'm not even going to bother asking the bride what she or her fiance want because the answer will be "Oh please don't feel you need to get us anything." I know that much.) Thanks!

Money is a good gift in this scenario.

The only problem with money is that I always feel like when I give money, I have to put a big amount - like $20 bill for a wedding would not be enough - but a $20 toaster is a lot. Know what I mean?

So, if you'd rather not give money, embroidering their initials on a set of towels work well for newlyweds who has everything.

There is a saying that gifts of money and things are nothing more than cheap substitutes of the real thing.  If you are either unaware of any real needs or aware that there are no real needs - then I would suggest that your attendance and support of their union is the actual need and gift most expected.  If you insist on some token gift and if they are true friends - whatever you get will be more than fine and appreciated.

After reading anatess and traveler's response, I want to add:

I honestly did not expect any gifts at all.  I would have been fine if people just came to our open house and reception to say congrats and wish us well.  I was just so darn happy to get married that a gift wasn't expected.  I knew, though, that most people would feel like they should give something (because that's how I would feel), so I was hoping that if they did that they get us money.  We got a lot of $20/$25 cash gifts.  That adds up, so giving just $20 bill (to me) would be fine.

The gifts that we liked the most besides the cash/gift cards were the ones that were decorative--we got a picture frame with our last name on it, we got a pic frame that had "love, laugh, live" with places for pics, etc.  

Cash is good but a creative, fun gift is better. A favorite but uncommon board game, a humorous book about marriage, a basket of all the ingredients necessary to make cookies or chili or something - with your hand written recipe included, or maybe a gift certificate for one of those photo album creation services? 

Could you and a few other attendees get together and hire another photographer, and then present them with another wedding album sometime after the wedding, perhaps with notes and comments from you and your friends written on the backs of the photos. Given that the photographer would only be like a back up or unofficial photographer, you probably wouldn't need to get someone too expensive. You could instruct the photographer to hunt out all the candid moments when people are not expecting to be photographed, and therefor look most like their natural selves. (Do people still do hard copy photos and photo albums for weddings?) 

I know that cash isn't considered a warm or sentimental gift but depending on the person it could be suitable. I'm going to a wedding/reception and the couple aren't just starting out. Both have been married before, both have children, both have homes with all the essentials inside. So I'm thinking a gift certificate somewhere is likely not as needed, I mean, why would it be? They don't need a microwave from Target or any one specific item, for that matter. The invitation does not mention any registry or preference for gifts, but being that it's a wedding, I'm pretty sure guests will arrive with something to offer. So maybe money? Any suggestions? (I'm not even going to bother asking the bride what she or her fiance want because the answer will be "Oh please don't feel you need to get us anything." I know that much.) Thanks!

money is a good one for marriages.

In all honesty it just does not seem right to receive money gifts from friends that are struggling when one has sufficient and more for their needs.  But one cherished wedding gift came from a struggling friend and artist that took our wedding picture from our announcement and reproduced it by hand burning a replication on scrap plywood.  After over 40 years it is the only gift I remember and still have.

Could you and a few other attendees get together and hire another photographer, and then present them with another wedding album sometime after the wedding, perhaps with notes and comments from you and your friends written on the backs of the photos. Given that the photographer would only be like a back up or unofficial photographer, you probably wouldn't need to get someone too expensive. You could instruct the photographer to hunt out all the candid moments when people are not expecting to be photographed, and therefor look most like their natural selves. (Do people still do hard copy photos and photo albums for weddings?) 

This is a neat idea. I might consider it for someone I'm much closer to.

I thought that in Philippines culture, the cash wedding present was pinned onto the bride's dress while she danced? I guess this isn't a Filipina wedding?

Yes, that is tradition. Even though my husband is not Filipino, my gown was still adorned with pinned money. Oddly, I've attended other weddings non-Filipino and saw the same thing done but they were not westerners, so could be an Island thing or... not sure.

I'm liking the restaurant card idea, might be nice for the two to get away from their kiddos, and dine out somewhere they normally wouldn't go but would like to. Otherwise... maybe the $50 isn't bad since it'll add up with other guests chipping, I think there's about 120 guests going, and counting!