Dreams Visions & Revelations

Servant801

As members of the fully restored gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, How often do we share our personal dreams, visions or revelations? Are even allowed to? Are we allowed to receive personal revelations or would that be only those that are prophets and apostles?

I like the below information:

I heard President Marion G. Romney once counsel mission presidents and their wives. “I do not tell all I know; I have never told my wife all I know, for I found out that if I talked too lightly of sacred things, thereafter the Lord would not trust me.”

We are, I believe, to keep these things and ponder them in our hearts, as Luke said Mary did of the divine events that surrounded the birth of Jesus.  (The Candle of the Lord, Elder Boyd K. Packer)

Are we allowed to receive personal revelations or would that be only those that are prophets and apostles?

Yes. That's the whole point of Mormonism, IMHO: that we can talk to God and have Him talk back.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

And if we're prompted by the holy spirit, are we then allowed to share?

As we begin to face major calamities and changes in our days, I'm finding out that more and more people are spiritually awake. And sharing their Dreams Visions and personal Revelations.

Are we then able to share?

However, we can only receive revelation for ourselves and those in our direct stewardship. 

There is perhaps a subtle detail here. We can receive revelation on many subjects, and the revelation we receive may relate to others not under our stewardship. However, we are not to council those outside our stewardship based on such revelation for according to the economy of God he will reveal it to them if they are to know it. 

There is perhaps a subtle detail here. We can receive revelation on many subjects, and the revelation we receive may relate to others not under our stewardship. However, we are not to council those outside our stewardship based on such revelation for according to the economy of God he will reveal it to them if they are to know it. 

We shouldn't counsel them either.  :P

And if we're prompted by the holy spirit, are we then allowed to share?

With all due respect . . . how could anyone possibly answer anything other than "yes" to your question, framed as it is?

As we begin to face major calamities and changes in our days, I'm finding out that more and more people are spiritually awake. And sharing their Dreams Visions and personal Revelations.

Are we then able to share?

I don't think the Church is significantly more spiritual now than it used to be.  I do think we're a lot more spiritually exhibitionistic than we used to be.  Seems like every Latter-day Saint who has a spiritual experience now feels impelled to write a blog, if not a book, making that experience available for public inspection.  I call it Snuffer-Pontius Spiritual Selfie Syndrome.

Naturally, if the Spirit tells you to share, then share.  But we should bear in mind that there's a strain of "look-at-me'ism" that permeates our culture.  Are we sure we understand what's really motivating us? 

Beware of the philosophies of men mingled with scriptures.  It is a common theme in the sharing of visions and dreams.  If I had visions, and I am not saying if I have or have not, I would be careful who I shared a sacred experience with.  God will not be mocked.  Still Small Voice's post touched on this quite well.

"For some reason, we expect to hear, particularly in welfare sessions, some ominous great predictions of calamities to come. Instead, we hear quiet counsel on ordinary things which, if followed, will protect us in times of great calamity."

Boyd K. Packer in the April 1982 Conference

Edited by mirkwood