If you were dying what would be the last thing you would try to tell those you cared about?

Looking back at the April Conference addresses, Elder Packer's address was headed, "The end of all activity in the Church is to see that a man and a woman with their children are happy at home, sealed for eternity." Elder Perry's address was headed, "Family is the center of life and is the key to eternal happiness."

Just a short time later they would pass away and the Supreme Court would rule in favor of same sex marriage. How profound and insightful their words seem now. Truly we have prophets in these latter-days.

Edited by Average Joe

I would say, "Don't be sad.  This is what Obamacare does to most people."

Seriously, I would bear them my testimony.  I would tell them that when I get to the other side I will help them as much as I could and as much as they (the family members) would let me.  I would tell them if they want to be happy, be humble and obey the prophets.

Edited by Str8Shooter

I have already started this past year putting my life long spiritual experiences into text documents and storing them in my gmail. I just need to figure out how to get it sent to my wife and kids if I unexpectedly die. Maybe Ill print them out and seal it in a folder in my file cabinet.

My written testimony based on real life experiences of the true gospel is the most treasured item I wish for my family to receive because when Im dead and on the other side this will be my only way of helping them to hold on to the iron rod.

I dislike any appearance of the dramatic.  What I would say if I was dying is in essence the same I would say if I was living.  I would also try to find some humor to go along with it all.  I think we take some very funny things too seriously and many very important and serious things without enough humor to enjoy the moment.

I like the idea of the thread, but with regard to its premise: Pres. Packer's son mentioned to the Deseret News that he he had begun working on his October conference talk just a week or two ago. I suppose, when you're a nonagenarian, one goes into every General Conference with the idea that it might be your last. That said, I don't know that we can say Pres. Packer believed himself to be dying during the last conference or had any specialized premonition that this would be his last sermon to the church.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

On another forum a great argument ensued about what should be said at a funeral.  For me, my funeral, I just want the gospel preached.  Like Elder Packer said.

That's the only message I want to leave, just the gospel.  And inspired words like Elder Packers address in April.

Of course they start work on their talk early.  That's why when they give the talk it's in it's best form.  I think the thought comes from inspiration, but they have to put it into words.

dc

Guest MormonGator

If you were dying what would be the last thing you would try to tell those you cared about?

"That wallpaper is terrible. One of us has to go."-Last words of Oscar Wilde. 

I'd tell everyone to lighten up, have fun and smile. People take life and death much too seriously. 

Edited by MormonGator

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be honest.  A little over a year ago, I almost died.  I was, quite frankly, surprised when I woke up in the hospital the following morning.

Nothing witty went through my head.  I just wanted my husband to know that I love him, and for him to let our kids know how much I love them.  More than anything, when I was dying, my mind was filled with thoughts of my family and their welfare.  

I was amazed at how non-threatening dying really is, how peaceful the process is, even when you are in extreme pain.  Dying really isn't nearly as terrifying as we seem to think it is.  Dying is actually quite easy; it's living that's hard.

I found this website of dying words of the famous: http://www.corsinet.com/braincandy/dying.html. Here are some that I specially liked:

It's all been very interesting.
~~ Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, writer, d. 1762

Go away. I'm all right.
~~ H. G. Wells, novelist, d. 1946

Either that wallpaper goes, or I do.
~~ Oscar Wilde, writer, d. November 30, 1900

I owe much; I have nothing; the rest I leave to the poor.
~~ François Rabelais, writer, d. 1553

Get my swan costume ready.
~~ Anna Pavlova, ballerina, d. 1931

I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring.
~~ Richard Feynman, physicist, d. 1988

I've had a hell of a lot of fun and I've enjoyed every minute of it.
~~ Errol Flynn, actor, d. October 14, 1959

P.S. I just read something else on a different page. Apparently Queen Marie Antoinette's last words as she faced the guillotine were: "Pardon me Monsieur, I did not do it on purpose!" (She had just stepped on her executioner's foot.)

Edited by Jamie123

Technically we're all dying to some degree each day.

That's in part why I regularly remind my wife and kids that I love them.

I have also already left behind a fair number of things that document and amplify my testimony.

And I am regularly working on more of the same.

Edited by hagoth