Temple Recommend for Youth?

cdowis

In a recent Family History "The Road to the Temple" Newsletter

Talking to the youth, it says:

Have your own temple recommend. If you go with a group, your name is on a onetime group recommend. After your scheduled session, the recommend is destroyed. But you can also have your own recommend, good for one year. To obtain one, meet with your bishop or branch president

Has anyone tried this?  It makes no mention of the Stake President signature.  Is this a special recommend for youth besides the temporary one?

I am guessing this is a regular recommend but, since it is not signed by the Stake Presidency, it is not validated in the temple computer system.  But what does "valid for one year" mean?  Can it be used for baptisms?

Edited by cdowis

In a recent Family History "The Road to the Temple" Newsletter

Talking to the youth, it says:

Has anyone tried this?  It makes no mention of the Stake President signature.  Is this a special recommend for youth besides the temporary one?

I am guessing this is a regular recommend but, since it is not signed by the Stake Presidency, it is not validated in the temple computer system.  But what does "valid for one year" mean?  Can it be used for baptisms?

It is a recommend extended by the bishop (or counselors), a separate book.  All wards have them, in our ward they are currently being used by the youth as every other week we perform baptisms for the dead with the youth.  This allows them to go with family or even on their own.

Valid for one year is what it means and has the month and year expired.

Edited by Anddenex

Temporary, limited-use recommends are only for baptisms.  They can be issued to  youth or to new converts during the year wait to receive your endowment.  I received mine a week after I joined the church.

"Valid for one year" means exactly that.  I used mine to do baptisms with other adults.  I did not have to do a group recommend and it was good for as many times as I cared to go during the year it was valid.  Of course, in a year's time, I received my endowment and then had a standard recommend.

As I was an adult when I converted, I am not as familiar as others here on how often youth avail themselves of the individual limited-use recommends.  I am sure someone else on the board will chime in.

Edited to add: I see Anddenex responded while I was (slowly) typing.  :)

Edited by Leah

My younger siblings and cousins have all gotten limited-use recommends for when our grandparents visit and want to attend the temple with everyone. And for when we have visited the Nauvoo and Palmyra temples, so that everyone can go perform baptisms together. I wish I had known about this opportunity when I was that young, I didn't get to go to the temple at all until I was 15 because I never went when it wasn't a ward temple trip. We lived overseas and while it was a huge fundraising effort to get the whole YM/YW group on a plane to visit the nearest temple, it wouldn't have been that hard to save up for just my family to go.