What is perfect faith?

I think it relates to faith that has been tried and proven.

"Let us here observe that a religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation. For from the first existence of man, the faith necessary unto the enjoyment of life and salvation never could be obtained without the sacrifice of all earthly things. It is through this sacrifice, and this only, that God has ordained that men should enjoy eternal life. And it is through the medium of the sacrifice of all earthly things that men do actually know that they are doing the things that are well pleasing in the sight of God. When a man has offered in sacrifice all that he has for the truth's sake, not even withholding his life, and believing before God that he has been called to make this sacrifice because he seeks to do His will, he does know, most assuredly, that God does and will accept his sacrifice and offering and that he has not sought nor will he seek His face in vain. Under these circumstances, then, he can obtain the faith necessary for him to lay hold on eternal life." (Joseph Smith, Lectures on Faith, 6:7)

And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith. (Ether 12:6)

To make the concept more concrete, I like to think of it as perfect trust in the Savior, as here:

[Faith is] Confidence in something or someone. As most often used in the scriptures, faith is confidence and trust in Jesus Christ that lead a person to obey him. Faith must be centered in Jesus Christ in order for it to lead a person to salvation. Latter-day Saints also have faith in God the Father, the Holy Ghost, priesthood power, and other important aspects of the restored gospel. (Guide to the Scriptures: Faith)

So at a basic level, when we have developed trust in Him to the point that we would literally do anything He asks, that could be considered perfect faith. That might be oversimplification, but it's enough for me to have something to work on!

Also consider:

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/worldwide-devotionals/2015/01/tasting-the-light?lang=eng

and Ether 3

Edited by Josiah

I use as my avatar the cover of a book called Natiya's Garden. It is a work of fiction intended to demonstrate how faith is aquired and excercised. In your scriptural quote, the meaning of perfect faith is nothing more than where your faith is to be placed, not the quality of your faith. Your actions of repentance and baptism are to be based on the savior and not any other motivating factor (i.e. fear, social acceptance, etc.).

I have a sure knowledge that Joseph Smith was a prophet of the Lord, that the Book of Mormon is the word of God.

I have "perfect faith" in the law of tithing, that we are being led by a prophet today in the church.  Faith comes from a different source than knowledge, and it is based on many things including experience.

I use as my avatar the cover of a book called Natiya's Garden. It is a work of fiction intended to demonstrate how faith is aquired and excercised. In your scriptural quote, the meaning of perfect faith is nothing more than where your faith is to be placed, not the quality of your faith. Your actions of repentance and baptism are to be based on the savior and not any other motivating factor (i.e. fear, social acceptance, etc.).

I don't think it works to dismiss the quality of faith. It certainly matters what your faith is in, yes. But if the faith in that (the Savior) is of low quality...?? Strikes me as problematic too.