Faith/Grace/Works/Obedience/Repentance

Read this great article on faith and grace, etc. It helped me in my ever ongoing quest to increase my understanding of faith and other related topics. It also addresses some of the conflicting ideas I've seen expressed here in this forum. So I thought I'd share it for discussion and enlightenment purposes.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/benjaminthescribe/2015/08/necessary-background-on-grace-faith-works-law-justification-for-the-coming-lds-gospel-doctrine-discussions/

It's a bit of a read, but well worth it.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

• 4 weeks later...

Over three weeks passed and no one responded to this topic. I might be interested in discussing it, but I'm curious to learn what you have in mind. You mentioned that the article helped you increase your understanding of faith. How so?

Over three weeks passed and no one responded to this topic. I might be interested in discussing it, but I'm curious to learn what you have in mind. You mentioned that the article helped you increase your understanding of faith. How so?

Have not seen TFP for a while and BTW I miss his insights.

I will put forward what the article brought to my understanding.   The article is basically around the concepts and relationship between faith and grace.  That is that grace and faith are two sides of the covenant between G-d and man.  This solves several problems in the whole idea of saved by grace or by works.  The idea is that nothing matters without a covenant.  Without a covenant there is no grace and without a covenant faith is dead – or better expressed as non-existent. 

Often the idea of grace among many Christians – is the free gift.  This is translated to our modern times as a gift without strings.  But we all know that with G-d there are always strings.  The strings are what is inclusive in the term “faith”.   Although the terms are somewhat ambiguous on the macro scale – they become specific for individuals or at the micro scale.  In other words being or serving as a bishop is not necessary but serving in some capacity is.  It is necessary because of covenant.  Therefore serving as asked is the expression of faith.

Anyway – that is one thing I got from the article that I plan to add to my understanding.  Along with the idea that works make no difference – except those works we do by faith because we were asked to do them.  I believe this is why Jesus says he does nothing but what the Father asks.  In other words he has faith in G-d the Father and therefore when the Father asks – he does as asked.

Yes. As the OP mentioned, the article touches upon many key aspects of grace and works. I suspect that each thoughtful reader will identify important points that speak to individual needs and challenges--dependent upon where one currently finds one's self. From within my own particular world view I appreciated some of the writer's remarks that shine a light upon the spiritually immature behavior which proabably all of us as God's children display from time to time.