Backpacking in Continental U.S

Bini

I'm not planning on doing this, not any time soon, since I'm pregnant and it'll be a good year before anything like this is remotely doable. But for fun, has anyone just backpacked, like a nomad, throughout the states? I'm literally envisioning carrying nothing more than a backpack on your back, and that's it, and you travel around - setting up tent - and hiking it. The only travel you'd actually do is maybe a direct flight out of your current state and into another, then from there, trek it (maybe bike it). I'm not necessarily even talking about being outdoors all day long, but even city sightseeing, but everything you need is on your back.

So if you've done this, what was your journey? How did your day to day adventure go? Would you say it was enjoyable? Or, maybe not so much enjoyable but a worthwhile experience? 

I know it isn't helpful to comment and to have NOT done what you describe but I have been planning it. I plan to hike as much of the Appalachian Trail as my body can handle. I've done a bit of reading on it and it is well documented. I'd start in Georgia in early Spring, since it will be warm there and head north.

I have friends (an older couple) that did that type of hike on the west coast. The wife had an injury a few weeks in they stopped for a couple of months but did resume. 

I'm hoping to compile good experiences for my fiction writing. 

I did it traveling sometimes on foot and sometimes hitch-hiking in the West.  I carried a back-pack, sleeping bag and a guitar.  Met only nice people, thankfully, and was never harassed.  Since my travels were mostly in rural areas, some of the most enjoyable times were under the starry dark skies at night walking along the highway from one small town to the next.  Some of the rides I remember were with a highway patrolman, a postal carrier, a sheepherder, a family in a Winnebago, and three teen-age girls (and a large dog) in a VW bug.  

I did it traveling sometimes on foot and sometimes hitch-hiking in the West.  I carried a back-pack, sleeping bag and a guitar.  Met only nice people, thankfully, and was never harassed.  Since my travels were mostly in rural areas, some of the most enjoyable times were under the starry dark skies at night walking along the highway from one small town to the next.  Some of the rides I remember were with a highway patrolman, a postal carrier, a sheepherder, a family in a Winnebago, and three teen-age girls (and a large dog) in a VW bug.  

That sounds amazing. Wow. How care-free, as far as, just enjoying the small things.

I'd go with my spouse but if I were to do it alone, I think, maybe I'd have a canine companion to keep me alert :)

I'm not planning on doing this, not any time soon, since I'm pregnant and it'll be a good year before anything like this is remotely doable. But for fun, has anyone just backpacked, like a nomad, throughout the states? I'm literally envisioning carrying nothing more than a backpack on your back, and that's it, and you travel around - setting up tent - and hiking it. The only travel you'd actually do is maybe a direct flight out of your current state and into another, then from there, trek it (maybe bike it). I'm not necessarily even talking about being outdoors all day long, but even city sightseeing, but everything you need is on your back.

So if you've done this, what was your journey? How did your day to day adventure go? Would you say it was enjoyable? Or, maybe not so much enjoyable but a worthwhile experience? 

Sounds good, but wouldn't this be a little hard to do with a new baby to take care of?

Just read your post again, but this time with my glasses on! Makes more sense now that I can read it properly!

Edited by Latter Days Guy

The only things on my bucket list:

1.) Backpack down and up the Grand Canyon through the Havasupai Reservation.

This would be a 2-day event. 1 day to go down 10 miles. Overnight at the reservation. One day to hike up. Putting the babies on a hiking backpack is definitely possible. I know of several people that did this. The trail is very very pretty with waterfalls and such.

2.) Backpack the entire Appalachian Trail.

I know a guy that did this. He said he didn't bring much in his pack because there are many stores and such on the trail and a lot of people that live on the trail also help out with refilling water, etc. his family would meet him on certain parts and he'd spend some time with them before resuming.

3.). Backpack across the Philippines

I never thought of this until I saw this Canadian guy who did this! He captured his trek on YouTube as Becoming Filipino.

4.). Backpack across Europe

I don't know anybody personally that has done this but this seems like a popular thing to do.