What are the guidelines for using church resources?

Bini

Are church resources just for members and investigators? Or, does it extend to inactives and non-members?

I've seen where the RS president will host a baby shower for someone that is inactive or a non-member. Invitations are handed out and RS members are encouraged to participate. In addition, the venue is often on church property, which is, the RS room. Might not always be the case, but I suspect that this is often done as charity work for a financially struggling mother, who was noticed by someone in the ward. I think it's a very kind and generous gesture. But I know not all members feel it right. Could this type of service span over to hosting bigger events, like a wedding for inactives (who've not stepped foot inside an LDS chapel since baptism, exaggeration, but example) or non-members with no intentions of converting?

Slight branch off. I had mentioned before that I'm part of a local online Buy & Sell group, and often times, we'll get people posting that they need free items or a cheap venue for a social event - and members are quick to name the LDS Church as a resource. So what are the guidelines for using church resources? Are there any? Or, is there no official statement on it, and solely up to bishops and leaders to make the call?

Speaking generally there's no requirement that most Church resources/facilities be allocated only to active members, but in some cases there's a cat's cradle of Church guidelines to be complied with (weddings, for example--must be officiated by an LDS bishop, limits on the types of decorations that can be used, etc).

Regarding use of Church buildings specifically--see here.

Are church resources just for members and investigators? Or, does it extend to inactives and non-members?

I've seen where the RS president will host a baby shower for someone that is inactive or a non-member. Invitations are handed out and RS members are encouraged to participate. In addition, the venue is often on church property, which is, the RS room. Might not always be the case, but I suspect that this is often done as charity work for a financially struggling mother, who was noticed by someone in the ward. I think it's a very kind and generous gesture. But I know not all members feel it right. Could this type of service span over to hosting bigger events, like a wedding for inactives (who've not stepped foot inside an LDS chapel since baptism, exaggeration, but example) or non-members with no intentions of converting?

Slight branch off. I had mentioned before that I'm part of a local online Buy & Sell group, and often times, we'll get people posting that they need free items or a cheap venue for a social event - and members are quick to name the LDS Church as a resource. So what are the guidelines for using church resources? Are there any? Or, is there no official statement on it, and solely up to bishops and leaders to make the call?

The short answer is: it depends.  The general guideline is that activities in church buildings should be "worship, religious instruction and other church-related activities" and that other usage is discouraged.  They do list specific things such as things that affect tax-exempt status are not allowed.  Namely this means political things.

Dances, for example, are allowed as long as they are church sponsored.  Wedding receptions and funerals are allowed but have secondary priority after the building's primary usage (i.e. no wedding reception during church hours, etc).  Fees may not be collected for usage of building too, or for persons rendering service (i.e. a bishop performing a wedding).  In terms of whether the person(s) involved are active/inactive/non-member rarely plays into consideration.  I've known of both funerals and wedding receptions held for non-members.

Ultimately it will fall to either Bishop or Stake President approval for the church building to be used for non church related activities.

Edited by f1lbr

Handbook 1, 8:4

8.4 Policies on Using Church Buildings and Other Property
Church buildings and other property are to be used for worship, religious instruction, and other Church-related activities. Church property should not be used for commercial or political purposes, which would violate laws that permit its tax exemption. Nor may property be used for other purposes that would violate these laws. The following list provides examples of uses that are not approved:
  1. 1. 

Renting or leasing Church facilities for commercial purposes.

2. 2. 

Promoting business ventures or investment enterprises, including posting commercial advertising or sponsoring commercial entertainment.

3. 3. 

Buying, selling, or promoting products, services, publications, or creative works or demonstrating wares.

4. 4. 

Holding unauthorized fund-raising activities (see Handbook 2,13.6.8).

5. 5. 

Hosting speakers or instructors who are paid a fee, who recruit participants, or who solicit customers or clients while giving seminars, lessons, aerobics classes, and so on. Exceptions may be made to use meetinghouse pianos and organs for paid private instruction (see Handbook 2, 14.7).

6. 6. 

Holding organized athletic events that are not sponsored by the Church, including practices.

7. 7. 

Holding political meetings or campaigns. As an exception, Church facilities may be used for voter registration and as polling places at the request of voting officials if:

1. a. 

There is no reasonable alternative.

2. b. 

The officials and voters maintain Church standards in the building.

3. c. 

The event will not pose physical danger to the building.

4. d. 

The event will not harm the image of the Church.

The use of Church property should not pose a significant risk of harm to participants or to the property. Nor should it unduly expose the Church to liability or disturb surrounding neighbors.

For more detailed instructions on using and caring for Church buildings and other property, see Facilities Management Guidelines for Meetinghouses and Other Church Property or contact Church headquarters or the assigned administrative office.

I performed weddings for less actives in the building ....either the Relief Society room or the Cultural Hall. If the chapel is used always have to let them know that in the chapel you can't take pictures or video and no burning of candles in the building at all.