Need advice for breaking the law of chastity

acgp06

I broke the law of chastity about a year ago (I had sex with my boyfriend), and I confessed to my bishop about it. For months now, I strived to stay worthy after I repented; I magnify my callings, work with missionaries, read scriptures, did my personal progress and all. Now I'm processing my mission papers and all is well until I broke it again.. but this time we just fondled and petted, no sex.. I still feel so bad though.. Im almost done with my papers, and Im afraid to tell our bishop bout it.. I keep telling myself that I dont need to tell him, and that I just have to confess to God directly.. but I dont really know what I should do.. please help, Id really appreciate it

I agree with what Just_A_Guy said.

Elder Holland gave a talk in Priesthood Conference a few years back titled, "We are all Enlisted" and the video that was made based on the talk really sums up your need to talk to the Bishop.

Video: Stay Within the Lines

Edited by Daybreak79

I'd imagine you know from last time how much better you will feel after you confess. The Savior can heal you and help you, but you have to do what it takes to let Him. Right now, that's confession to the bishop as well as to God.

There's nothing to fear. Things will get better if you do it Christ's way.  :)

Edited by Josiah

I think we can all understand your feelings.

The reality is that the Lord already knows and if He were to appear in your room and discuss it with you I'm sure He would put His arms around you and express his deep Love for you, tell you that everything will be fine, encourage you to go forth and sin no more, and then counsel you to meet with your Bishop so that the Holy Ghost can truly be your constant companion on your mission.  

The Bishop is His servant and the Bishop's calling is to help you be worthy of all the Lord has to bless you with. He will not be disappointed in you, but will rejoice that you came forward with a broken heart and contrite spirit. It is the right thing to do.

The funny thing is that we often fear the reaction of the Bishop, our parents, or our friends more than God. God wants to forgive you, He loves you. He has already suffered to pay for the sins you've committed, He earnestly desires for you to take advantage of His Priesthood authority through the Bishop's administration.

Confessing to your Bishop is the wonderful way to "confess to God directly" and receive the Lord's personal revelation for you at this time. Don't delay, it's a blessing waiting to happen!

You need to ask yourself how and why?   Why this now, when you've been able to resist before?  You need to really understand not just what you did, but where you are and how you got there in order to know whether you should continue with your mission papers or not.   And whether you  should continue to see the person you are involved with.  

I do not believe that people generally are required to confess sexual sins short of all the different ways there are to be intwined.   But yours is a different case since you have represented yourself as ready for a mission, when  you do not appear to be, so you need to correct that impression so the bishop can help you figure out whether serving a mission is right for you now.

The other big advantage of confessing to the bishop is that he can help hold you accountable for whatever you and the Lord figure out you need to change in order to avoid the temptation again.   (I'm not so sure you will feel relief and love when you confess this to the bishop ---- you may not be yet far enough in the repentance process to have had the mighty change of heart.  When you confess and you aren't yet there, that can still be good for you, but it isn't always a kumbaya moment.  Repentance can be pretty hard.  OTOH, you did stop short of the sin you have previously committed, so you have made some progress.)

Edited by thoughts

2. See your bishop, but go in knowing that your mission will be delayed. I'd say about 6 months plus or minus.

Nobody can say that but the bishop. Only he would judge. I personally wouldn't disqualifier her for petting. She is repentent and remorseful. That would be enough in my book. As I said, he is the judge.

... Im almost done with my papers, and Im afraid to tell our bishop bout it.. I keep telling myself that I dont need to tell him, and that I just have to confess to God directly. ...

This thread is missing something pretty important. It's missing a conversation where you respond. May I ask you a question, or two? Will you answer?