Senator Reed Votes to Block a Bill Banning Late-term Abortions

cdowis

Again, I will not judge this person, but our friend Harry Reed has now gone down a very dark road ==>>

There was a bill that banned late-term abortions, after 20 weeks where it has been proven that the unborn baby feels pain.  Brother Reed voted against cloture, basically killing the bill.

I'm sure that he could use his finely tuned rhetorical skills to justify his actions, at least to himself.  After all, he didn't actually vote against the ban, but only to prevent it from coming up for a vote.

http://dailysignal.com/2015/09/22/senate-democrats-block-bill-banning-late-term-abortions/

Edited by cdowis

I am so disgusted that there are no words I can say here regarding Reid that would not get me banned.

What is more, I am greatly disturbed by some of the apathy towards fighting abortion that I see among members of the church, who seem to have given up on actively fighting abortion and just accept it as a part of American life. We are dealing with the murder of one million unborn babies per year right here in America... I would love to see the entire church mobilize Proposition 8 style to get the abomination known as Planned Parenthood defunded.

Edited by DoctorLemon

No surprise in his actions  :rolleyes:

I am surprised that he is still considered a member of the church. I don't know if he has a temple recommend or has been or is under church discipline...I hope that "political stature" doesn't qualify as a "pass." If it does, then its time for the church to have a cleansing of the inner vessel.  

It's still an enormous (not to mention dangerous) leap to say that he says he's a Mormon, he voted badly, and thus the church leadership needs to be "cleansed". Wow. 

For all we know, he's inactive, or doesn't hold a temple recommend, or has been called in but doesn't respond, or HAS been disciplined, but didn't turn it into a photo op as the likes of Kelly and Dehlin did. We just don't know anything but what the press tells us about his voting record. I find it alarming that you'd jump right to "maybe the church needs to clean its inner vessel". 

Interesting that this was laid at the feet of Reed - something that requires a simple majority that in the Senate - a majority that is Republican.  If Reed started the ball rolling it is the Republicans that made sure it rolled through the Senate in a manner that individual votes would not be taken.  That way senators like Hatch would not have to be accountable (to donors or contributes) for their contributions to what took place.

I don't think the church is really into dictating and judging one's voting record.

Even someone who has had an abortion is not going to be called into a church court.

perhaps not but there is a temple recommend question concerning honesty in your dealings with your fellow men which his actions are hard to reconcile with.

perhaps not but there is a temple recommend question concerning honesty in your dealings with your fellow men which his actions are hard to reconcile with.

Of course there is...  And guess who answers it...  The interviewee.   Reed can answer that question however he wants.  As a matter of agency we are allowed to condemn ourselves.

I am quite sure there are people who go to the temple that lied to get there (either to themselves or to the bishop).

Just because this happens to bishops and stake presidents no way justify the idea of "Cleansing the Inward vessel" that you proposed

I don't see how this question relates to him and his political leanings

It is a hard thing to accuse a man without hearing his side of the argument, I am no Harry Reid fan but his standing in the church is between him and his ecclesiastical leaders not us interweb heroes.

Also something to think about, the church is typically silent on the subject and legislation of abortion, their standing is well documented and they choose not to pursue it beyond that. Maybe you should work that out before you start beating your drum

It's still an enormous (not to mention dangerous) leap to say that he says he's a Mormon, he voted badly, and thus the church leadership needs to be "cleansed". Wow. 

For all we know, he's inactive, or doesn't hold a temple recommend, or has been called in but doesn't respond, or HAS been disciplined, but didn't turn it into a photo op as the likes of Kelly and Dehlin did. We just don't know anything but what the press tells us about his voting record. I find it alarming that you'd jump right to "maybe the church needs to clean its inner vessel". 

my original quote said exactly that - "I don't know if he has a temple recommend or has been or is under church discipline...I hope that "political stature" doesn't qualify as a "pass."

Please don't pillory me with my own words because I included - "I hope that "political stature" doesn't qualify as a "pass." If it does, then its time for the church to have a cleansing of the inner vessel." The term "if it does" is a conditional phrase. But be that as it may, Better men then I have called for a cleansing:

"I say, rather than that apostates should flourish here, I will unsheath [sic] my bowie knife, and conquer or die! [Great commotion in the congregation, and a simultaneous burst of feeling, assenting to the declaration] Now, you nasty apostates, clear out, or judgment will be put to the line, and righteousness to the plummet! [Voices, generally, 'go it, go it.'] If you say it is right, raise your hands! [All hands up.] Let us call upon the Lord to assist us in this, and every good work!" - Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses 1:83

"Should the Lord decide at this time to cleanse the Church-and the need for that cleansing seems to be increasing-a famine in this land of one year's duration could wipe out a large percentage of slothful members, including some ward and stake officers. Yet we cannot say we have not been warned." - Ezra Taft Benson, Apr 1965 (emphasis mine). 

So whether or not you approve of me or anyone else calling for a cleansing, you best get ready because it is coming:

Behold, vengeance cometh speedily upon the inhabitants of the earth, a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of desolation, of weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation; and as a whirlwind it shall come upon all the face of the earth, saith the Lord. And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth, saith the Lord; First among those among you, saith the Lord, who have professed to know my name and have not known me, and have blasphemed against me in the midst of my house, saith the Lord. (D&C 112:24-26, emphasis mine)

Edited by Average Joe

Of course there is...  And guess who answers it...  The interviewee.   Reed can answer that question however he wants.  As a matter of agency we are allowed to condemn ourselves.

I am quite sure there are people who go to the temple that lied to get there (either to themselves or to the bishop).

Just because this happens to bishops and stake presidents no way justify the idea of "Cleansing the Inward vessel" that you proposed

and of course if some of his dealings are illegal and/or unethical and a matter of public record and his bishop and/or stake president decide not to talk to him about it because he's (currently) the senate minority then thats fine and dandy with you. OK, have a nice day :)

Edited by Average Joe

I don't see how this question relates to him and his political leanings

It is a hard thing to accuse a man without hearing his side of the argument, I am no Harry Reid fan but his standing in the church is between him and his ecclesiastical leaders not us interweb heroes.

Also something to think about, the church is typically silent on the subject and legislation of abortion, their standing is well documented and they choose not to pursue it beyond that. Maybe you should work that out before you start beating your drum

First, I've never been a hero.

Second, while his abortion vote got this post rolling, Mr. Reid has more than this vote on his dance card.

Third - and the point EVERYONE is ignoring in their breathless anxiousness to comment on "cleansing the inner vessel"  - are my exact words:

"I don't know if he has a temple recommend or has been or is under church discipline...I hope that "political stature" doesn't qualify as a "pass." If it does, then its time for the church to have a cleansing of the inner vessel."

​I am not going to apologize for saying the church needs cleansing IF people (and not just Mr. Reid) are given a pass because of wealth, power or "fame" that a poor, just getting by, unremarkable member would not get.

I feel like putting up a poll here to ask if everyone considers themselves a Pharisee or a Sadducee but then someone would start crying because Essences wasn't an option too,  :rolleyes: 

Edited by Average Joe

First, I've never been a hero.

Second, while his abortion vote got this post rolling, Mr. Reid has more than this vote on his dance card.

Sure he does, you and I may not agree with his standing on many subjects, bu this has no reflection on his standing in the church. At the very least none that we can tell.

and of course if some of his dealings are illegal and/or unethical and a matter of public record and his bishop and/or stake president decide not to talk to him about it because he's (currently) the senate minority then thats fine and dandy with you. OK, have a nice day :)

You complain about people reading more then you intended and then you go an pull this stunt..

I am fine and dandy trusting that the men God has called to watch over his flock (including Senator Reed) are doing their job.  And if they are not then that the Lord himself will handle it in his own way in his own time.

I am not fine and dandy with people second guessing the Lord's anointed.   After all sustaining the Leaders of the church is also a recommend question.   So if I publicly question if the leaders are following the Lord will (verses say seeking some political advantage) ... I am no longer able to say I Sustain the Leaders of the church.  And I would then be the one unworthy to hold the recommend

You complain about people reading more then you intended and then you go an pull this stunt..

I am fine and dandy trusting that the men God has called to watch over his flock (including Senator Reed) are doing their job.  And if they are not then that the Lord himself will handle it in his own way in his own time.

I am not fine and dandy with people second guessing the Lord's anointed.   After all sustaining the Leaders of the church is also a recommend question.   So if I publicly question if the leaders are following the Lord will (verses say seeking some political advantage) ... I am no longer able to say I Sustain the Leaders of the church.  And I would then be the one unworthy to hold the recommend

Stunt?

"Should the Lord decide at this time to cleanse the Church-and the need for that cleansing seems to be increasing-a famine in this land of one year's duration could wipe out a large percentage of slothful members, including some ward and stake officers. Yet we cannot say we have not been warned." - Ezra Taft Benson, Apr 1965 (emphasis mine). 

Guess Pres. Benson wasn't talking about the Lord's anointed either -  but he did include "some ward and stake officers.' And I have no problem seconding that notion. :)

Stunt?

Guess Pres. Benson wasn't talking about the Lord's anointed either -  but he did include "some ward and stake officers.' And I have no problem seconding that notion. :)

It was "Elder" Benson at the time.  And, if you're named to fill one of the vacancies in the Q12 this Saturday, I daresay you will be quite welcome to come back to these forums and, in your own name and under your newfound authority, call hellfire down on Reid and his ecclesiastical leaders 'til the cows come home.

Until then, though--not really any of our stewardships.

Drinking alcohol will cause you to lose your temple recommend.

Question:

Do you believe that any Mormon Congressman in either State of Federal congress who did not support the State bans on alcohol as well as the 18th amendment should have lost their temple recommends?

Do you believe that any Mormon Federal Congressman who supported the 20th amendment should have lost their temple recommends?

Stunt?

The Stunt was accusing me of being OK with illegal and/or unethical practices...  That is bull crap that was uncalled for.  You owe me an apology.

But instead you ignore the offense  and you try to hide behind the words of a prophet.  You are no prophet.  You don't get to hide your burning desire to hurt Senator Reed in anyway you can, under the guise prophetic pronouncements.

It was "Elder" Benson at the time.  And, if you're named to fill one of the vacancies in the Q12 this Saturday, I daresay you will be quite welcome to come back to these forums and, in your own name and under your newfound authority, call hellfire down on Reid and his ecclesiastical leaders 'til the cows come home.

Until then, though--not really any of our stewardships.

Sorry your taking this so personally (at least that's how it seems from what I'm reading - words are subjective). This is the web, not the real world. If my comments have offended, I apologize. That's not a hard thing to do. If you don't think my personal righteousness is good enough, that's fine, God will judge. If my comments/opinions are at variance with yours, that's life. I'm done with this thread. I do sincerely hope you have a nice day :)

Edited by Average Joe

Sorry your taking this so personally (at least that's how it seems from what I'm reading - words are subjective). This is the web, not the real world. If my comments have offended, I apologize. That's not a hard thing to do. If you don't think my personal righteousness is good enough, that's fine, God will judge. If my comments/opinions are at variance with yours, that's life. I'm done with this thread. I do sincerely hope you have a nice day :)

And I can just image Brother/Senator Reed repeating that back to you "If you don't think my personal righteousness is good enough, that's fine, God will judge. If my comments/opinions are at variance with yours, that's life."

Are you willing to grant Brother/Senator Reed the same as you ask of us?