My Post Conference Resolution

Caffeine has gotta go.

I kicked it once. Then decided to, limitedly, introduce it back into my world. I've kept it moderately limited, but I still feel -- all the time -- like I should have kept off it. During conference I felt it again. I finally gave in and accepted that the Spirit was telling me something and I wasn't listening.

I'm not suggesting that I need to treat caffeine like it's one of the big 4. But I use it every day (primarily in work-out substances). And every day, to me, is riding the line of abusive and addictive.

However, unlike last time. I'm not going to cold turkey quit. I need to back out a bit slower. Cold turkey caffeine withdrawal is unpleasant. ;) So I've made a plan to back out of it over the next two weeks.

Feel free to share, if you'd like, your conference resolutions -- if you feel it is appropriate and you are comfortable doing so.

I may have more. Gotta review my notes, pray, etc. We'll see.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

Ponderize.  My oldest daughter said the one thing she would like to do is ponderize the scriptures.  So, as a family, after scripture study we will ponderize a verse of scripture as a family.  One each week.

I'm considering this. But we were also taught to listen to the Spirit's next thing for you (kind of a one at a time thing it seemed -- or a few at a time...not running faster than able, and whathaveyou), line upon line, etc...and I don't want to take on too much (meaning I already have a ton of initiatives going on from past conference suggestions, etc). But I really, really liked the idea of this. So maybe I should just jump in!

Guest LiterateParakeet

Count me in on Ponderize.  When he first started talking about it, I was reluctant. But as he continued, the Spirit nudged me to do it too.  Part of the reason I love the idea (other than the obvious) is that I plan to share my scripture of the week with my two missionary sons.  I'll ask them and the rest of the family to do the same as a form of extended family scripture study.  

For me conference was more of a conformation rather than something new.  About 7 years my wife was diagnosed as diabetic.  We were advised (badly) that being diabetic does not require any life changes - just that she requires various amounts of insulin with everything she eats.  Since she became diabetic weight gain has become an ever increasing problem.  About a month ago she determined diet change was inevitable in order to be healthy.  Though reluctant at first I have commuted to support her and eat the same diet as her.  The diet is entirely organic (I have previously thought all food was in essence organic).  Everything is fresh and all processed foods are taboo.  There is no processed sugars - only fruits.  The diet is heavy with meat and raw veggies.  Very little carbs - no dairy and almost no bread - I really miss breads, cheeses and milk.

Because of my personal covenants when I was younger and competed (cycling) I refused the caffeine boosts other were using - I was truly unique.  I was always competitive but never exceptional.  I still maintain training and I have been concerned for the new diet that without the carbs my cycling performance would decline.  Something incredible has happened over the last couple of weeks.  My performance has taken a quantum leap.  Part of my time trials overlap the Tour De Utah and I have even beaten on segments some of my friends that road the Tour.   I am doing much better; especially with hill climbs.

My post conference resolution is to clean up my spiritual diet and like my physical diet go to what I would call an organic spiritual diet without all the processed stuff.

I like to cue Steve Martin.

Maybe I need to be a little kinder to others.

Maybe I need to take my life more seriously.

Maybe I should be more forgiving and accepting of others' weaknesses.

Maybe I should subject myself to further self-examination.

Maybe I should repent more deeply and more often.

Maybe I should show more love and compassion to those around me.

NAAAHH!

I like to cue Steve Martin.

Maybe I need to be a little kinder to others.

Maybe I need to take my life more seriously.

Maybe I should be more forgiving and accepting of others' weaknesses.

Maybe I should subject myself to further self-examination.

Maybe I should repent more deeply and more often.

Maybe I should show more love and compassion to those around me.

NAAAHH!

Be courteous, kind, and forgiving
Be gentle and peaceful each day
Be warm and human and grateful
And have a good thing to say

Be thoughtful and trustful and childlike
Be witty and happy and wise
Be honest and love all your neighbors
Be obsequious, purple and clairvoyant

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
Be dull and boring and omnipresent
Criticize things you don't know about
Be oblong and have your knees removed

Diet sodas are a nasty friend. 

And I stand by my reply. Fat is nastier. :)

Incidentally...as to the actual point...presuming you mean that it tastes nasty, rather than as a cancer-scare type point....I do not like regular Dr. Pepper. Diet is much better. I also (sadly) do not like caffeine free as well (taste-wise). But perhaps over time I'll change.

Only the wrong kind of fat tastes nasty.  Bacon is probably the most perfect food on the planet.  Cheese is a close second.  So, what about bacon with cheese sauce?

--No, I do NOT weigh over 200 lbs.

Edited by Guest