Quebec soon to be LDS salutes you!

Chantale43

Hi hi! I've met a couple of times with the missionaries and i think it's safe to say, that we're on a very good road. They were a bunch of them this morning at my place( since i'm alone) and i made blueberry muffins for all. Needless to say that they seem to miss good ol home cooking! We had a nice and meaningful time.

Next step is going to church on Sunday and see if my impression is the right one. 

So, all is good so far:)

The only thing though is that none of these missionaries seem happy! I don't know if they are tired perhaps?

I feel bad for them.

Also it's a pity that the church counts only 50 active members, maybe even less. It could change , you never know though!

Have a great day:)

Hi hi! I've met a couple of times with the missionaries and i think it's safe to say, that we're on a very good road. They were a bunch of them this morning at my place( since i'm alone) and i made blueberry muffins for all. Needless to say that they seem to miss good ol home cooking! We had a nice and meaningful time.

Next step is going to church on Sunday and see if my impression is the right one. 

So, all is good so far:)

The only thing though is that none of these missionaries seem happy! I don't know if they are tired perhaps?

I feel bad for them.

Also it's a pity that the church counts only 50 active members, maybe even less. It could change , you never know though!

Have a great day:)

Wow. I'm surprised and sorry to hear that the missionaries don't seem happy. I have known very few missionaries who were not happy and who didn't radiate that happiness.

Anyway, nice to have you here.

Guest MormonGator

I LOVE Quebec! I am originally from New England so I go to Canada all the time! I also love the Montreal Canadiens!! You've made my day! 

Welcome! Bon Jour!   

Edited by MormonGator

Welcome!

I wonder how many missionaries you have met so far and how many times? If it was just this group, perhaps they all just come off like that? 

I have met several missionaries that seem, at first, to be unhappy. Usually by the 3rd meeting or so you get to know them enough to realize that is just their personality. And some open up after a bit. But for the most part, they have all been cheerful. 

Please let us know how your visit this Sunday goes!

Guest MormonGator

Welcome!

I wonder how many missionaries you have met so far and how many times? If it was just this group, perhaps they all just come off like that? 

I have met several missionaries that seem, at first, to be unhappy. Usually by the 3rd meeting or so you get to know them enough to realize that is just their personality. And some open up after a bit. But for the most part, they have all been cheerful. 

I testify to this. Some of them are just young and shy. 

Welcome!

Two different groups, both the same impression! But it's okay, happiness is sometimes more from within, a quiet thing. I'm more on the extraverted side of it :)

I have family in Quebec, but none are LDS. Being an a small ward, or branch has challenges and blessings. I hope you feel comfortable and your journey continues well.

I am certain of one thing: I'm gonna bring my presence, and it worths 20 ppl. lol

Me too, seriously. Finding a church that suits you is no easy task for me. I was always longing for a closer relationship with the church and God. What i'm hoping here, is that LDS faith doesn't replace Jesus with Joseph Smith. Because the son of God will always remain THE one for me that matters most. Also the Bible will always remain the first testament i'm gonna rely on to live my life. I don't wanna replace the teachings of Jesus on earth with the teachings of J.S.

That's just what i hope.

I am certain of one thing: I'm gonna bring my presence, and it worths 20 ppl. lol

Me too, seriously. Finding a church that suits you is no easy task for me. I was always longing for a closer relationship with the church and God. What i'm hoping here, is that LDS faith doesn't replace Jesus with Joseph Smith. Because the son of God will always remain THE one for me that matters most. Also the Bible will always remain the first testament i'm gonna rely on to live my life. I don't wanna replace the teachings of Jesus on earth with the teachings of J.S.

That's just what i hope.

Good to hear!

Although Joseph Smith is regarded as pivotal and has a special place in the hearts of many in the church, he is in no way a replacement of Christ. You are only right not to replace the Lord with any other. 

As far as the Bible is concerned, the teachings of the Book of Mormon go hand in hand and are not meant to replace, as you read it, you will come to know that they are also the teachings of Jesus, not Joseph Smith. 

That's just what i hope.

Chantale,

Bienvenue.  Une joie sans melange.

As long as you don't listen to our detractors, no we don't replace Jesus with Joseph Smith.  Jesus is our savior.  Joseph is his servant.  While we would show respect for Joseph as a brother who has done much to bring us to Christ in a way not available before, we worship Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior.

Hence the saying: If Joseph were to enter the room, we'd stand up to shake his hand.  If Jesus were to enter the room, we'd all bow down to kiss his feet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised and sorry to hear that the missionaries don't seem happy. I have known very few missionaries who were not happy and who didn't radiate that happiness.

As Chantale implied, the mission where she lives is not the fruitful field of Mexico. It's a lot harder to be happy all the time when your efforts are not producing visible fruit. Missionaries are, by and large, very young, and have too little experience with disappointment.

I served in a mission where the average 2 1/2-year mission saw 2 conversions (and many of those were young Francaises who thought that baptism was a possible entrance into America rather than the kingdom of God). Even though there were three people who accepted the Gospel due, at least partially, to my efforts, there were days, and weeks when the emotional stresses were little short of depressing.

I must say, however, that teaching the Olive family was far from depressing, and I suppose my companion and I radiated happiness for those five weeks (and many afterwards). The other three or four times when we had active, serious investigators would have been the same, even though the eventual result was not optimal.

The Gospel is the Gospel of joy, but the work is hard (even when the sheaves are numerous), and no one likes his garden to fail dispite the effort he's put into it.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

If you are happy to learn about the church even with unhappy missionaries, then thumbs up to you! :animatedthumbsup:

There are unfortunately folks only interested in the church because of happy missionaries. Once the happy missionaries disappear, they stop going to church. Sounds like you are putting your interest in the church "first" and the missionaries "second"...this is a much better path to success anyways. Love the message more than the messengers - Good luck!