Joke: How can you tell...

How do you tell if you're talking to an engineer, a mathematician, or an accountant?

You ask them what 2+2 is.

Engineer: Four.

Mathematician: It depends on which theoretical plane you're working in.

Accountant: What do you want it to be?

Edited by Guest

How do you tell if you're talking to an engineer, a mathematician, or an accountant?

You ask them what 2+2 is.

Engineer: Four.

Mathematician: It depends on which theoretical plane you're working in.

Accountant: What do you want it to be?

I know its only a joke, but isn't this expressing a little too much confidence in engineers? :) 

Being an engineer myself, I'm not sure which way you are taking us.

1) Engineers are not that bright and may not actually know that 2+2 = 4.

2) Engineers are just as much in la-la land as mathematicians and accountants that they may also come up with something bizarre.

Now I'm analyzing the merits and accuracy of a joke. :rolleyes:

My physics teacher at school used to tell this joke:

(If this sounds laddish, please bear in mind that physics classes in those days were almost exclusively male.)

A mathematician and an engineer are at a party together. The mathematician notices a gorgeous blonde at the other side of the room whom he really wants to get to know better. He says to his friend "Wish me luck; I'm going to try to schmooze with that girl over there."

The engineer replies "You don't want to seem too interested. You'll turn her right off! Saunter nonchalantly half way over to her and have a root beer. Then go half the distance again and have another drink. Keep on going until you reach her." 

The mathematician thinks about this for a moment and says "But this is Xeno's arrow! I'm never going to reach her!"

"No," replies the engineer. "But you'll get close enough for most practical purposes!"

Edited by Jamie123

My physics teacher at school used to tell this joke:

(If this sounds laddish, please bear in mind that physics classes in those days were almost exclusively male.)

A mathematician and an engineer are at a party together. The mathematician notices a gorgeous blonde at the other side of the room whom he really wants to get to know better. He says to his friend "Wish me luck; I'm going to try to schmooze with that girl over there."

The engineer replies "You don't want to seem too interested. You'll turn her right off! Saunter nonchalantly half way over to her and have a root beer. Then go half the distance again and have another drink. Keep on going until you reach her." 

The mathematician thinks about this for a moment and says "But this is Xeno's arrow! I'm never going to reach her!"

"No," replies the engineer. "But you'll get close enough for most practical purposes!"

Wasn't there a scene in IQ where they basically disproved Zeno?

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Wasn't there a scene in IQ where they basically disproved Zeno?

I'm not sure what "IQ" is, but you're right, it's "Zeno" not "Xeno".

I'm thinking of "Xena Warrior Princess"!

post-17997-0-53889000-1444764010_thumb.j

P.S. Oh, you mean that movie where Walter Matthau plays Einstein? I saw it but a long, long time ago! I shall need to re-watch it.

Edited by Jamie123