Sacrament Meeting Talk

mirkwood

This is the talk I gave in Sacrament Meeting this week.

Conference was really good.  There were a lot of great messages.  Several things jumped out at me as I listened to the various sessions. 

I liked the tribute paid to the Latter Day Saint women of the world.

Elder Nelson, an apostle, described you as stalwart women.  The definition of that word includes valiant and steadfast.

He went on to say: 

“It would be impossible to measure the influence that such women have, not only on families but also on the Lord’s Church, as wives, mothers, and grandmothers; as sisters and aunts; as teachers and leaders; and especially as exemplars and devout defenders of the faith.”

“We need women who are organized and women who can organize. We need women with executive ability who can plan and direct and administer; women who can teach, women who can speak out. …

“We need women with the gift of discernment who can view the trends in the world and detect those that, however popular, are shallow or dangerous.”

“Let me add that we need women who know how to make important things happen by their faith and who are courageous defenders of morality and families in a sin-sick world. We need women who are devoted to shepherding God’s children along the covenant path toward exaltation; women who know how to receive personal revelation, who understand the power and peace of the temple endowment; women who know how to call upon the powers of heaven to protect and strengthen children and families; women who teach fearlessly.

“My dear sisters, whatever your calling, whatever your circumstances, we need your impressions, your insights, and your inspiration. We need you to speak up and speak out in ward and stake councils. We need each married sister to speak as “a contributing and full partner” as you unite with your husband in governing your family. Married or single, you sisters possess distinctive capabilities and special intuition you have received as gifts from God.”

I am blessed to have had two women in my life like this.  First was my mother, who without exercising these traits, I would not be here as an active member of the church today.  Second is my wife, who helps keep me on track and has been a magnificent influence on our sons.  She is far better then she gives herself credit.

I have also been blessed to have the associations of other women in this ward who engender the same traits.  I am sure that all the Sisters of this ward have these traits and are far better then you may think you are.  If you don’t believe that…well…an apostle has said you are. Brethren we can learn from the women in our lives.

Another thing that stood out to me was the leadership at the head of our Church.  There is a current of what I will call Mormon Gnosticism that has entered into our faith.  They question our leaders.  They question our history and our faith.  But they don’t end there.  Brothers and sisters, there is nothing wrong with questions.  But when we let our questions turn to doubt and our doubts turn to arrogance and disregard for the leadership the Lord has appointed, we tread on dangerous ground.  Our very salvation is at stake.

The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve are the appointed leaders and mouthpieces of the Lord for us in these days.  They tell us what we need to know.  They guide us and counsel us on paths that will lead us to safety, both spiritually and temporally.  The gentle reminders of how leadership in our church is established and operates are timely in this day.

Elder Ballard reminded us with this statement:

“During my nearly 40 years of close association, I have been a personal witness as both quiet inspiration and profound revelation have moved to action the prophets and apostles, the other General Authorities, and the auxiliary leaders. While neither perfect nor infallible, these good men and women have been perfectly dedicated to leading the work of the Lord forward as He has directed.

And make no mistake about it: the Lord directs His Church through living prophets and apostles. This is the way He has always done His work. Indeed, the Savior taught, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me.”  We cannot separate Christ from His servants.”

He continued with a prophetic statement.

Twenty years ago, the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles issued “The Family: A Proclamation to the World.” In that inspired document, we concluded with the following: “We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.”

As Apostles, we reaffirm this solemn warning again today.

Solemn is also defined as serious or earnest.

Our church is not one of doomsday preppers.  We are a people of faith.  We believe in God.  We believe in modern revelation that is pertinent to us in our days. 

We would be as the foolish virgins to ignore a warning when one is given to us. 

That fact that an apostle just reaffirmed a warning during General Conference was not insignificant. 

I testify to this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen