Open House announced for Tijuana, Mexico Temple

pam

A free public open house for the Tijuana Mexico Temple will be held from Friday, November 13, through Saturday, November 28, 2015, and run every day except Sundays, November 15 and 22. A cultural celebration will be held Saturday, December 12, and the temple will be dedicated in three sessions on Sunday, December 13.

The dedicatory sessions at 9:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m., and 3:00 p.m. will be broadcast within the temple district, and the three-hour block of meetings for those congregations will be cancelled for that Sunday.

No tickets required for this open house.

https://www.lds.org/church/events/open-house-and-dedication-dates-announced-for-tijuana-mexico-temple?lang=eng&cid=facebook-shared

Are interior photos online anywhere?

To me, the Church's temples (post-Victorian era, anyways) have typically been models of "restrained good taste", and it strikes me that they're kind of throwing that away with this temple.  Frankly, the exterior reminds me of an overdone fairy castle that a robber-baron would build for his over-pampered adolescent daughter as a birthday present.  

If it blends into the local architecture, all well and good, I suppose; and I'm sure that the quality and craftsmanship are top-notch and that the Lord will accept it as a worthy sacrifice.  But--while it's obviously not my call--I hope this temple's design remains "unique" among Church temples.  

They are all unique.

And what's in Tijuana, perhaps all of Mexico is unique. 

I'm tentatively planning on going.

But I suspect that it resembles few other buildings in that area, other than generally, some other churches here and there.

I mean, there is not another similar church there across the street.

But it's kind of a Mexican style, like churches there, but still unique.

Anyway, from what I see, it is quite beautiful. 

And maybe it might be good to look at photos of all of the Temples, as none of them are the same.  Each one is unique.

dc

J a g

To be more specific, I think your assessment is way off.  Unless you haven't spent much time in Mexico.

Edited by David13

Frankly, the exterior reminds me of an overdone fairy castle that a robber-baron would build for his over-pampered adolescent daughter as a birthday present.  

It looks very reminiscent of high class (By this I mean well done) Spanish influenced architecture of the region.

You can see the same influence in many buildings in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California. Or even spending time watching a few old westerns, Zorro (old or new).

To me it actually looks like a fusion of that influence with what the Nauvoo temple looks like.

Yeah, I grew up in central California so I saw a lot of (pseudo-) Spanish colonial; and (my parents being school teachers) I saw quite a few of the old Spanish missions as well. 

Obviously that doesn't make me an expert in architecture or anything; but . . . while I see elements of well-done Spanish colonial architecture (the tower appears to be nearly a copy of the one in the San Xavier del Bac mission in Arizona), it seems to me that that sort of architecture typically emphasizes clean, horizontal lines; wide, low arches; and a proportionate-sized tower or two placed at the front of the building (not rising out of the roof in the center) (not to mentioned a sloped, clay-tiled roofline). 

Here we've got a beautiful and slightly oversized tower smack dab in the middle of the building, rising from a flat roofline with finials galore and double-height arches.  The whole thing is coated with the traditional white stucco but pierced with windows that are almost Gothic in their narrowness.  If that's "Spanish Colonial", it's a remarkably ostentatious application of the concept; and to me, at least, the effect is very jarring.  :shrug:

Edited by Just_A_Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Chula Vista?  You are only a few blocks from the Temple in Chula Vista.

Anyway, I just got back.

I went down last night and stayed in San Ysidro. 

And this morning drove over.

It is a most beautiful Temple, and as usual, has been done first class all the way by the Church.

It appears new, but has a Spanish/Mexican style to it with thick walls and all wood doors and trim.  And all quality wood, just beautiful construction all the way.  Very reminiscent of the old missions or buildings.

The interior did remind me a bit of the Payson Temple, sort of the newest style interior.  In February I'll have to compare the Provo Center Temple interior.  But it appears they use a similar theme or color scheme. 

And murals.  Murals all around and many large landscapes, all suggestive of the area of Mexico, but with no development.

There were a sufficient number of missionary sisters there.  But not a lot of volunteers.  Nothing like Payson where there was a volunteer every 5 or 10 feet. 

It is a smaller Temple, I didn't look at square footage or such details, but smaller. 

With only 25,000 members there to serve, it ought to be adquate. 

The visitors appeared to be high percentage of church members.  Looking at license plates, they all appeared to have Mex plates, but many were American, or if Mexican, seemed to speak perfect English.

So I don't know where they were coming from.

Appeared to be members:  They all had suits and ties, even dressing the kids in suit and tie or at least white shirt and tie in the parking lot.

The Temple is in a fair neighborhood, it looked like a fairly adequate area.  The property is circled by a high spiked fence of thick metal design, most beautiful.  With plenty of parking, with a courtyard with a fountain.  The adjacent buildings will house apartments so there will be a presence at all times. 

Landscaping was excellent, just beautiful.

I came back thru' Tecate where I had lunch. 

Most enjoyable.

dc

Edited by David13

17 miles.  Or as they say here, 15 minutes.  Some people go further than that to go to the supermarket.

dc

Yep I know. I grew up in the Chula Vista area and just south of it.  In fact I've known ScDoyle's mother in law since I was about 7 years old.