Would you travel to Europe right now?

classylady

My husband, son, and I have been planning on traveling over to Germany the first week of December.  We are just traveling for fun, wanting to visit the Christmas Market in Nuremberg, and a few other popular tourist attractions over there.  I haven't been too overly concerned about traveling and our safety, until the US State Department issued a travel warning.

If we cancel our trip we are not out any money since we fly standby, and we haven't yet reserved our hotels and rental car.  I was going to do that this week.  Now, I'm having second thoughts.  So, what say ye?  Would you go?

BTW, I love Germany.  I try to get over there every other year.  Germany is where I served my mission.  And, I really, really, want to visit a Christmas Market in Bavaria.  We chose Nuremberg because it is the most well known.  We could always choose a different Christmas Market that isn't as touristy.

Guest MormonGator

I would totally, 100%, without any doubt go to Europe.

If you decide not to go, can I have your tickets?

Vort beat me to it. I'm traveling with him. Two of us, one plane, one parachute. Sounds like a good joke, huh, Vort?  ;) 

Yes, no question. I'd go in a heartbeat. Immediately. Yes. 

Living in fear is letting the bad guys win. Just walk your walk, to quote Joan Jett. 

Edited by MormonGator

I would totally, 100%, without any doubt go to Europe.

If you decide not to go, can I have your tickets?

Fortunately for me, I have flight benefits since I'm a retired airline employee.  All my domestic travel is 100 percent free.  But,  with international flights there are some taxes I pay.  My spouse and children up through age 26 are on my flight benefits.

Fortunately for me, I have flight benefits since I'm a retired airline employee.  All my domestic travel is 100 percent free.  But,  with international flights there are some taxes I pay.  My spouse and children up through age 26 are on my flight benefits.

Wow, I am so jealous right now. I would go to Germany in a New York minute. Or Bulgaria. Or Italy. Or Greece. Or Spain. Or England. Or....you get the picture.

Wow, I am so jealous right now. I would go to Germany in a New York minute. Or Bulgaria. Or Italy. Or Greece. Or Spain. Or England. Or....you get the picture.

I highly recommend you add Prague to that list.  I'd suggest Kenya, but I'm seriously unsure how safe that would be anymore.

I would love to go to Prague and Bucharest. Oh, and Moscow and St. Petersburg. And about a kabillion other places on Earth...

Can't recommend Moscow (lived there 3 years).  But St. Pete is worth it.  From there you can take the train to Tallinn and hop over to Helsinki (great place to try every kind of food on the planet)!

The thing is, I have the option to fly anywhere my airline flies.  It is a major US airline so it flies most places, and I even have flight benefits with other airlines at highly discounted rates.  My problem, even though I can get places for almost nothing, it still costs once I get there!!!  Motels, car rentals, trains, food, are not free.

My vacations changed drastically after I started working for the airlines.  My vacations used to be camping, visiting relatives, Disneyland, etc.  Now it's usually international travel unless I'm going to visit my son in the Seattle area.

A number of years ago, after I started working for the airlines, I asked my 9 year-old son where he wanted to go, and he said "Paris".  I asked him why Paris? And it was because he had just watched the cartoon movie "Rugrats in Paris" and that's where he wanted to go.  So, our next trip, that's where we went!  I can fly to almost anywhere in the world for the same amount, or less, than what it would cost me to fill up my pick-up with a tank of gas.  And, if first class is open we get first class seats.  International first class is wonderful.  My husband is spoiled.  If we don't get first when traveling internationally, he doesn't want to go.  lol  

Edit:  There are some drawbacks.  We fly standby, so if the flight is full, we don't get on.  We have been stranded overnight a number of times at the airport.  You learn to not let it stress you.  There are some who can't handle that stress.  But, it's the reason I try to fly off-season.

Edited by classylady

This is why I became nervous about flying over:

"Extremists have targeted large sporting events, theatres, open markets, and aviation services.  In the past year, there have been multiple attacks in France, Nigeria, Denmark, Turkey, and Mali.  ISIL/Da’esh has claimed responsibility for the bombing of a Russian airliner in Egypt. 

U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using transportation.  Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid large crowds or crowed places.  Exercise particular caution during the holiday season and at holiday festivals or events."

We are definitely visiting a holiday festival that is very popular.

Edited by classylady

Guest LiterateParakeet

I wouldn't go. 

I try not to live in fear, but the warning from the State Department cinches it for me.  I think it is important to listen to warnings from "people in the know".  I would heed the warning, and wait to visit Europe another time.

It's kind of like seat belts.  When I get in my car, I don't put my seat belt on because I have a great concern of getting in an accident.  I put it on because people in the know--in this case police officers who have seen fatalities caused by car accidents--recommend it.  I might never get in another car accident, but still it doesn't hurt to put on my seat belt.

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Extremists have targeted large ...

Sorry.  I know this is going to start a thread jack.  But I believe it is a valid answer to the question.

The current administration is, on the surface, completely inconsistent when it comes to the issue of Islamic terrorists.  But as we delve deeper, we realize it is being completely consistent.  All statements & activities are not about protecting anyone (them or us).  It is about making sure US citizens are afraid, uneasy, and angry.

Let Syrian refugees in even though there is no way to screen who is and is not a threat. --makes people uneasy.

Issue a travel warning.  --makes people afraid.

Talk a lot about taking our guns away (BTW, he never has -- yet). --makes people angry and uneasy.

Bluster about GUN violence.  --makes people afraid.

Say ISIS is contained a week before several major attacks.  --makes people afraid, uneasy, and angry.

Call ISIS the JV team just before they show numerous beheadings. --makes people...

Encourage racial tensions. --makes people angry and confused.

That is all the travel warning is about.

I would not make decisions based on anything the government does or does not say.  Make your decision based on all other information you can get your hands on.

Edited by Guest

These kinds of things are all perception.  If you approach it logically, maybe you'll see that the perception doesn't really match reality.  Here are some logical things that might help you.

Right now, the odds of dying from a terrorist attack in Europe is 1 in 2 Million.

The odds of dying from a plane crash is 1 in 11 Million.

The odds of getting murdered in America is 1 in 18,000.

The odds of dying in a car crash in America is 1 in 18,000.

The odds of getting hit by lightning 1 in 600,000.

So, if you're still living in America and driving a car in America, you'd be much safer getting out of the streets of America and staying in the Market in Germany.

Edited by anatess

These kinds of things are all perception.  If you approach it logically, maybe you'll see that the perception doesn't really match reality.  Here are some logical things that might help you.

Right now, the odds of dying from a terrorist attack in Europe is 1 in 2 Million.

So, if you're still living in America and driving a car in America, you'd be much safer getting out of the streets of America and staying in the Market in Germany.

There are some logical flaws in your logic.

My husband, son, and I have been planning on traveling over to Germany the first week of December.  We are just traveling for fun, wanting to visit the Christmas Market in Nuremberg, and a few other popular tourist attractions over there.  I haven't been too overly concerned about traveling and our safety, until the US State Department issued a travel warning.

If we cancel our trip we are not out any money since we fly standby, and we haven't yet reserved our hotels and rental car.  I was going to do that this week.  Now, I'm having second thoughts.  So, what say ye?  Would you go?

BTW, I love Germany.  I try to get over there every other year.  Germany is where I served my mission.  And, I really, really, want to visit a Christmas Market in Bavaria.  We chose Nuremberg because it is the most well known.  We could always choose a different Christmas Market that isn't as touristy.

supposing someone else paid for my way out and back i certainly would.

^^^^ this

Seriously.. Go! To Syria... No. To Germany, yes!

I would go and I think if you keep basic travelling safety tips in mind, you should be fine, for the most part. Just be aware of yourself, your belongings, and your surroundings. Have a plan B for in the event that your family becomes separated. Sounds like a super fun trip! I have never been where you're going. I'd love to.

This is why I became nervous about flying over:

"Extremists have targeted large sporting events, theatres, open markets, and aviation services.  In the past year, there have been multiple attacks in France, Nigeria, Denmark, Turkey, and Mali.  ISIL/Da’esh has claimed responsibility for the bombing of a Russian airliner in Egypt. 

U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using transportation.  Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid large crowds or crowed places.  Exercise particular caution during the holiday season and at holiday festivals or events."

We are definitely visiting a holiday festival that is very popular.

We've been given this same warning at others times as well.  I think as it states we need to be aware of our surroundings and be more vigilant. But I don't think it means cancelling all of our plans.