Pure Religion

Today's Sunday School lesson focused on James 1:27 ("pure religion and undefiled before God...").  The instructor started asking for definitions.  When we got to "pure" I looked it up the dictionary.  One definition stood out to me.

Pure: (science) abstract or theoretical (as opposed to applied).

I guess I knew this already.  But the juxtaposition of this definition of science with the verse from James made it all the more stark.  Science is mostly theoretical.  Religion is practical.  We usually tend to think of them the other way around.  But it is that would be inaccurate.

We need only do some service out of the pure love of Christ to know it is good and has an edifying effect on our souls.  Science must have additional factors of safety to employ it in actual application to give man any real or dependable benefit.

I guess I should qualify my comments as referring the common mentality that science will tell us where religion is wrong (when we depend on the arm of flesh)..  I'd like to think of true or pure religion telling us where "science" has messed up or is incomplete (depending on the arm of the Lord).

In the end, religion wins. :twothumbsup:

Edited by Guest

I do agree with what you have said "I'd like to think of true or pure religion telling us where science has messed up or is incomplete"

I also think a lot of the conflict between science and religion comes from people having an inaccurate or incomplete understanding of true pure religion.  They think they know were science is wrong and it is more a incomplete understanding that they may have of pure religion.

Pure, in the context of biblical religion, would be that which is clean--undefiled.  NO?  In other words, it's not corrupt, not mingled with sin, and, of course, it presents the straight forwards truths of God.

Pretty much this is what the term means for me.