Trivia -- Prophet Baptism

OK, I've got two this time.

1) Which Prophet in this dispensation was the first to be baptized in an actual dedicated font?

2) Which Prophet was baptized on his own behalf on two separate occasions by a bonafide Priesthood holder?

Edited by Guest

Hooray, more trivia!  I had a "Friend" help out on this one, so... this time I won't answer and give others a chance first. 

Not 100% sure on #1, but think I've nailed number #2. I know early on there were several "members" re-baptized...

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

1) Which Prophet in this dispensation was the first to be baptized in an actual dedicated font?

I can't answer the question, but I suspect that it was Ezra Taft Benson, since Spencer W. Kimball was baptized in an irrigation canal (or something similar) after having been baptized in a washtub (which his father, obviously, could not have stood in at the same time).

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers
Correct a typo

I just looke over your answer.  Were you trying to answer #1?  'cause it was the correct answer.

Yes, President Kimball was first baptized in a watering trough that the family used as a bath tub.  Because it was so small, his father was unable to "stand in the water" with him.  Someone made a fuss about that procedural anomaly (which I'd have to agree with).  So he was later baptized in a stream (could have been an irrigation canal).

So, on to #2...

No, it was not Pres. Benson.

Edited by Guest

When the church was organized in 1830, those who had been baptized for the remission of sins were rebaptized as members of the newly formed church.  It was also not uncommon for people to request rebaptism for the remission of sins, which was eventually halted in favor of the less cumbersome sacrament.  So I think Joseph Smith qualifies for answer 2, as he was baptized on May 15, 1829 and April 6, 1830.

Edited by bytebear

Doing a bit of research, and it seems the First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles were also rebaptized, including Brigham Young and Wilford Woodruff upon entering the Salt Lake valley as a sign of rebirth of the church.

On this day the Twelve were re-baptized. Why? Because the Church, having broken old ties in the East was, in a way, experiencing a new birth. Because, owing to conditions of life on the plains, regular Church routine could not always be observed. For this reason for non-observance of certain regulations were made by the people and accepted by their leaders. But now those who stood at the head of the Church wanted a gesture of support to themselves and a sign that willing obedience would be given to the rules of the Church. This was affected by re-baptism.

(Wilford Woodruff Journal, August 6, 1847.)

21 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I just looked over your answer.  Were you trying to answer #1?  'cause it was the correct answer.

No, I answered the first question only, but was not sure, as I said: "I can't answer the question". It was only a guess, based on what I had read decades back about President Kimball's baptism.

Not strictly related, but few people know that Jimmy Carter was the first USmerican president born in a hospital. He's relatively new in a historical sense ('course, hospital births are new, too, and rarely necessary), so I used the same perspective to deduce who could possibly have been that first one baptized in a font.

Lehi

On my mission, we were able to baptize in the ocean and a lake. It was not common, so we thought it was the coolest thing since sliced cheese (as a missionary would think).

I did find a list giving the "known" locations of where the prophets were baptized. Apparently, being baptized in an actual dedicated font was not the norm. I'm sure this had to do with actual accessibility to a dedicated font.

Lesellers: I tried to convince my wife to stay at home and give birth... that lasted about...oh 15 seconds. Her burning eyes of "you're nuts" never penetrated so deep into my soul before. Off to the hospital we went. ;)

Bytebear,

You've found a loophole that I had not considered for the trivia question.  And it is certainly true.

But to do some backpedaling:  Pres. Kimball was baptized twice "for the same purpose".  But one was considered invalid because of procedure.  So the question might be rephrased.  But since the answer (that I had intended) was revealed by Lehi, it is answered.

So, who was first baptized in a font?  So far the guesses were Benson and Hinckley.  Gee, just guess Monson & Hunter and we'll have them all from Kimball onward.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, LeSellers said:

No, I answered the first question only, but was not sure, as I said: "I can't answer the question". It was only a guess, based on what I had read decades back about President Kimball's baptism.

Not strictly related, but few people know that Jimmy Carter was the first USmerican president born in a hospital. He's relatively new in a historical sense ('course, hospital births are new, too, and rarely necessary), so I used the same perspective to deduce who could possibly have been that first one baptized in a font.

Lehi

I got the questions mixed up.  You had inadvertently answered #2 when reasoning out #1.  But no, it was not Benson.

10 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

I tried to convince my wife to stay at home and give birth... that lasted about...oh 15 seconds. Her burning eyes of "you're nuts" never penetrated so deep into my soul before. Off to the hospital we went. ;)

Well, I suggest reading the book MALePRACTICE: How Doctors Manipulate Women by Robert S. Mendelsohn, M.D.

Hospitals are totally unnecessary in 98% of all births, and only needed in half the rest. Prenatal care is critical, doctors, not so much at all, for most women.

We've heard the stories about cord-around-the-neck, and serious bleeding, but, for nearly all of those, a midwife is more than adequate, and probably better than an Emergency!!-get-'er-in-the-operating-room-oriented MD.

My wife's great grandmother delivered hundreds of babies and never lost a mother or a child. That was in the late XIX-earlyXX.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

Yes, I did see something different.   My source says he was baptized in "the swimming pool of the old Deseret Gymnasium, located north of Temple Square".  It at least agrees on the date. 

No footnotes are present.  I guess I'll have to bow to the fact on LDS.org as opposed to another source.  

I wrote to the individual saying it was a pool.  His source was a "personal conversation between Pres. Hinckley and my father".  He has agreed that the official Church information is probably more accurate.

We both thank you.

Edited by Guest