Reasons To Get Excommunicated

bunnzy

A court has to occur for a disfellowship. HOWEVER, if the person accused does not show up, then the court will be held without their presence.

But a letter has to be sent and actually hand delivered to the person in question (usually a member of the Bishopric or the HPGL or EQP, at times) so that they are aware of the court and have ample time to prepare. In fact, a letter has to go out for any court, as far as I remember. It is a way to avoid people claiming they didn't know about the court.

Not being in your friend's last ward or privy to what happened, I'd be amiss to even conjecture what happened...

ok thank you. That helps a lot.

In the USA, a "one night stand" is considered a "common-law marriage." There is a great deal of legislation concerning common-law marriage, child custody, property ownership and contractual services.

I think you're way off on this one. It's not as thoughtless as you suggest. From what I've read many of the States do not acknowledge "common-law" as valid.

Common-law marriage (or common law marriage), sometimes called informal marriage or marriage by habit and repute is, historically, a form of interpersonal status in which a man and a woman are legally married. The term is often mistakenly understood to indicate an interpersonal relationship that is not recognized in law. In fact, a common law marriage is just as legally binding as a statutory or ceremonial marriage in some jurisdictions — it is just formed differently.

The essential distinctions of a common law marriage are:

1. Common law marriages are not licensed by government authorities.

2. Common law marriages are not necessarily solemnized.

3. There is no public record of a common law marriage (i.e., no marriage certificate).

4. Cohabitation alone does not amount to common law marriage; the couple in question must hold themselves out to the world to be husband and wife.

5. In some jurisdictions, a couple must have cohabited and held themselves out to the world as husband and wife for a minimum length of seven years (in Arkansas) for the marriage to be recognised as valid.

The parties must mutually consent to be married, be of legal age or have their parents' permission.

There is no such thing as "common law divorce". Once a marriage is validly contracted, whether according to statute or according to common law, the marriage can only be dissolved by a legal proceeding in the pertinent trial court (usually family court or probate court).

Since the mid-1990s, the term "common-law marriage" has been used in parts of Europe and Canada to describe various types of domestic partnership between persons of the same sex as well as persons of the opposite sex. Although these interpersonal statuses are often, as in Hungary, called "common-law marriage" they differ from true common-law marriage in that they are not legally recognized as "marriages" but are a parallel interpersonal status, known in most jurisdictions as "domestic partnership" or "registered partnership".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common-law_ma...e#United_States

Read further to see the global specifics.

M.

they have only been going out for 6 months and so i dont think she would be consiodered for 'common-law' marriage, besides i do noit think they have such a thing in australia.

question though... what are the differences in probation, disfellowship and excommunication? by my understanding it is:

Probation (formal or informal, whats the diff?) Must have regualr appts with bishop, cannot say prayers in church or partake of the sacrament, give talks etc...

Disfellowship... i have no idea how this is different from probation.

Excommunication, Does not hold preisthood, or baptismal and temple covenants plus everything from probation. If they want to come back to church they have to attend for a number of years before it is taken to the First Presidency and they (maybe, depending on revelation) are rebaptised. (Can excommunicated members still receive revelation?) Excommunicated members are still encouraged to attend all meetings and be as involved as possible.

My Aunty on my mums side, my uncle on my fathers side and my Father in law all have been or are currently excommunicated for different matters. So this is a topic very close to me, and i have alot of questions about it.

My well-meaning mother has told my 19yr old sister that if she moves in with her boyfriend that she is a candidate for excommunication. I had never heard of this.

Is this really a legitimate reason for excommunication?

What other reasons are there for excommunication?

You've never heard that immorality and breakage of baptismal and sacramental covenants are grounds for excommunication?

What religion are you?

Those of you that have served in Bishoprics, pls correct me if I am wrong:

Pam, I believe that disfellowship requires a court. A Bishop has 4 tools at his discretion to help someone repent and be forgiven in the eyes of the church:

Informal Probation

Formal Probation

Disfellowship

Excommunication

You forgot Double-Secret Probabtion.

All you who speak so authoritatively on the excommunication topic, explain this:

a friend of mine was an adulterer, boozer, and liar. He was called to be a stake high counsellor. He admitted to his SP his past deeds. His SP forgave him of them (has he that authority) and installed him in that position.

I don't think so.

Unless the SP was the one against whom the wayward member was sinning... forgiveness would come from God or from he/she against the sin was committed.

<div class='quotemain'>

Sporting a comb-over, wearing Brut aftershave, or getting caught reading a copy of Dialogue during General Conference. B)

I thought those were death penalty infractions.

In the USA, a "one night stand" is considered a "common-law marriage."

Not in this universe/reality.

You must be thinking of the alternate parallel universe where Spock and Captain Kirk has evil alter-beings.

Just a thought...If the couple were to move in together, but had great willpower and just co-habited as friends, not having sexual relations or sharing the same bed, would they be trusted on this, or would this still possibly make them subject to disfellowshipment or excommunication?

Just a thought...If the couple were to move in together, but had great willpower and just co-habited as friends, not having sexual relations or sharing the same bed, would they be trusted on this, or would this still possibly make them subject to disfellowshipment or excommunication?

something about avoiding the very appearance of evil comes to mind. . . .

I wish I had a dollar everytime someone told me that..... :money:

<div class='quotemain'>

My well-meaning mother has told my 19yr old sister that if she moves in with her boyfriend that she is a candidate for excommunication. I had never heard of this.

Is this really a legitimate reason for excommunication?

In the USA, a "one night stand" is considered a "common-law marriage." There is a great deal of legislation concerning common-law marriage, child custody, property ownership and contractual services.

Since you are not in the U.S., you need to ascertain that information about your country.

Not sure what part of the country you live in but I have never heard that about one night stands.

they have only been going out for 6 months and so i dont think she would be consiodered for 'common-law' marriage, besides i do noit think they have such a thing in australia...

In Australia the term de facto marriage is often used to refer to relationships between men and women who are not married but are effectively living as husband and wife for a period of time, however common-law marriage is sometimes heard. The Federal parliament has power to legislate for marriages, which it first did in 1959 with respect to divorces and separation with the Matrimonial Causes Act (covering divorces, etc.) which has now been replaced by the Family Law Act, 1975. The Marriage Act, 1961 provides for the formalities required for a lawful marriage. The Marriage Act does not recognize 'common law marriages'. The Federal parliament has no power over de-facto marriages, and thus all Australian states and territories have legislation covering aspects of de-facto marriages, such as property distribution, and spouse maintenance if a relationship ends (however children born out of wedlock are covered by the Family Law Act 1975 as a result of the states remitting this power to the Commonwealth). Most laws dealing with taxation, social welfare, pensions, etc. treat de-facto marriages in the same manner as solemnized marriages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common-law_marriage#Australia

M.

If a member came to me and confessed something to me...we would talk about it an then I would set up a return appt. This would allow me to have some time to think about what was said and to come to some sort of a desicision. If the member is endowed I then have to speak with my Stake President about it to make him aware of it. We then talk about the member and what was said. If its of a serious nature and they are endowed the stake may handle the disicpline. Or they will tell me to take care of it. I can put them on probation with conditions etc. We then get back together over time to find out how person is doing and if they is no improvement I can then go to a formal probation with the understanding they could be called to a Bishops council and them disfellowshipment or excommunication could take place. Once the desicion is reached a report is filled out and sent to the Stake then to salt Lake.

About 2 times a year a Bishop gets a report from Salt Lake with names of current members or ex'd members who are living in your area. This is a private report and for the Bishop and Stake President only. When I say current members....I am meaning those who are disfellowshipped.

About 2 times a year a Bishop gets a report from Salt Lake with names of current members or ex'd members who are living in your area. This is a private report and for the Bishop and Stake President only. When I say current members....I am meaning those who are disfellowshipped.

Does this list include members who have had their names removed from Church records?

<div class='quotemain'>

Does this list include members who have had their names removed from Church records?

No it does not....

<div class='quotemain'>

geee...afraid yer name is gonna show up somewhere?

i still havent really had my questions answered regarding the differences between disfellowhip, probation and excommunication.

and not every one in a common law marraige (or de facto or whatever) is excommincated so excuse me if ive never heard of it before. Besides which, i have made immoral choices myself out of wedlock and not been disfellowshiped or excommunicated.

Im in a bad mood tonight so if i come off a bit harsh im sorry. kinda.

i still havent really had my questions answered regarding the differences between disfellowhip, probation and excommunication.

and not every one in a common law marraige (or de facto or whatever) is excommincated so excuse me if ive never heard of it before. Besides which, i have made immoral choices myself out of wedlock and not been disfellowshiped or excommunicated.

Im in a bad mood tonight so if i come off a bit harsh im sorry. kinda.

bunnzy having been put on probation and disfellowshipped (yes I was a bad girl)

I was put on probation through talking with my bishop at the time, I couldn't partake of the sacrament, say prayers, give talks, or hold a calling.

When I was disfellowshipped a few years later it was through the bishop courts and I had the same rules apply to me as being probation.

I had to talk regularly with my bishop for both, and let them know about my progress.

After I was married I had to have another court held to reinstate me from being disfellowshipped.

when I was on probation it was only for a certain amount of time that my bishop felt was long enough.

all things are up to the bishop but from what i experienced being one probation was informal and only for a short amount of time. being disfellowshipped required a court on both ends and lasted approx. a year.

I haven't been ex'd so I don't know what that is all about.

But I was sealed in the Temple a year after I was married and I haven't has a problem since.

Does anyone have an official stance on this. I didnt live with my boyfriend, but Ive slept in the same bed as many of my male friends when we used to crash over each others houses, including boyfriends. If I stayed over, we slept in the same bed, tho nothing ever happened. My closest friends are male and i stayed over my mates one night and we all slept in the same bed together, me in the middle, two blokes either side of me. We were elbowing each other all night saying 'move over!' and 'get off!!' hardly sexual, like sharing a bed with your brother. Me and Rob shared a hotel room when we got stranded one night after we missed the last train home. They had one room with a double bed (i kid u not!) we thought it was stupid for rob to sleep on the floor so we cuddled up in bed. nothing ever happened. so is it bad? I know we should avoid the appearance of evil or whatever yadda yadda-but is actually sharing a bed an 'offense'? Ive never confessed any of this to a bishop. Rob knows I shared a bed with other guys as he was there half the time before we were going out. sp is it officially bad??

<div class='quotemain'>

Does anyone have an official stance on this. I didnt live with my boyfriend, but Ive slept in the same bed as many of my male friends when we used to crash over each others houses, including boyfriends. If I stayed over, we slept in the same bed, tho nothing ever happened. My closest friends are male and i stayed over my mates one night and we all slept in the same bed together, me in the middle, two blokes either side of me. We were elbowing each other all night saying 'move over!' and 'get off!!' hardly sexual, like sharing a bed with your brother. Me and Rob shared a hotel room when we got stranded one night after we missed the last train home. They had one room with a double bed (i kid u not!) we thought it was stupid for rob to sleep on the floor so we cuddled up in bed. nothing ever happened. so is it bad? I know we should avoid the appearance of evil or whatever yadda yadda-but is actually sharing a bed an 'offense'? Ive never confessed any of this to a bishop. Rob knows I shared a bed with other guys as he was there half the time before we were going out. sp is it officially bad??

I am married and my wife was in college when we dated. I went up to visit her one weekend and we fell asleep on the couch watching a movie. Slept the whole night together. She was worried that we had done something wrong; her father refrenced us to a scripture in the new testament "...all things are pure to them who are pure." (cant remember the refrence sorry!) and explained that we had not intended to fornicate or to even sleep together (just sleep) so we had done nothing wrong nor made any wrong choice. Although not wise to place yourself in a bad situation, if your intent is pure, you have not sinned!!!!

I am married and my wife was in college when we dated. I went up to visit her one weekend and we fell asleep on the couch watching a movie. Slept the whole night together. She was worried that we had done something wrong; her father refrenced us to a scripture in the new testament "...all things are pure to them who are pure." (cant remember the refrence sorry!) and explained that we had not intended to fornicate or to even sleep together (just sleep) so we had done nothing wrong nor made any wrong choice. Although not wise to place yourself in a bad situation, if your intent is pure, you have not sinned!!!!

I am curious to know why on earth an adult woman would think that sleeping is a sin.