Church goer shoots a fellow parishioner

NightSG

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

How about a more elegant weapon from a more civilized age?

images.jpg.f7dfeac99f79ca54d46275b0b6f29

That should brighten up the conversation.:D

This is the greatest comment in the history of the internet. 

3 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

This is the greatest comment in the history of the internet. 

Thank you, Gator.  I'll be sure to call you if I ever run for Emperor.

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

Thank you, Gator.  I'll be sure to call you if I ever run for Emperor of the Planet.

I'm a Jedi. You saw what we did to the empire. 

Yeah, he's my role model.  I think I would have been much more emotionally stable if I'd listened to more banjo music growing up instead of Neil Diamond or Simon & Garfunkel.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

Hey, he's my role model.  I think I would have been much more emotionally stable if I'd listened to more banjo music growing up instead of Neil Diamond or Simon & Garfunkel.

Have you read Martin's bio Born Standing Up? I enjoyed it but it made me a bit sad - he could have used the gospel

@tesuji

No, I haven't.  I have read "The Compleat Steve Martin".  I can't link to it.  It revealed a side of him that the public just doesn't see.  He doesn't seem very happy with the life he's chosen.  But now he's getting more into banjo performance rather than comedy.  And he's bringing in the crowds.  He seems much happier.

What was Born Standing Up like?

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

@tesuji

No, I haven't.  I have read "The Compleat Steve Martin".  I can't link to it.  It revealed a side of him that the public just doesn't see.  He doesn't seem very happy with the life he's chosen.  But now he's getting more into banjo performance rather than comedy.  And he's bringing in the crowds.  He seems much happier.

What was Born Standing Up like?

It's his autobiography. I enjoyed it, because I didn't know anything about his life.

Although, unfortunately, after seeing the movie Shop Girl (he wrote the novel version) I now kinda see him as that creepy old guy he plays in the movie. I'm afraid it might be a little too close to the truth?

Anyway I love love his comedy. (The clean stuff anyway.)

38 minutes ago, tesuji said:

unfortunately, after seeing the movie Shop Girl (he wrote the novel version) I now kinda see him as that creepy old guy he plays in the movie. I'm afraid it might be a little too close to the truth?

I get the same impression.  But Steve partially admits and partially dillutes the notion.

As a man I've had many experiences in my life, and I certainly draw upon them. I've had those relationships. I have some experience in that area, but this is a role. Anything you make is partly autobiographical, but the story is not based on me. It's based on anecdotes from others and a lifetime of observation. It's an accumulation of interests, conversations and experience.

I've been through many stages in my life, and certainly one stage was like Ray Porter - being emotionally unavailable and afraid of intimacy. It's a brief stage, but it's a potent one. I was essentially on the road from age 25 until I was 40, and it's a very, very lonely life. You're in a town for one or two days and you're always packing a suitcase and you sort of adapt to that kind of life.

He once spoke of how he once had an affair with a shopgirl "Back when I was a celebrity".  He even asked her why she was willing.  She said,"So I can tell my friends about it."  Yeah, he didn't appreciate that response.

So, how many tangents can this thread take?

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

How about a more elegant weapon from a more civilized age?

images.jpg.f7dfeac99f79ca54d46275b0b6f29

That should brighten up the conversation.:D

There was a time when I had a crisis of faith and almost left the Mormon church.

You see, I had heard there was a Church of the Jedi starting up in Britain. I wanted to join, but they told me they couldn't teach me to build an actual real lightsaber. Talk about a false church.

Edited by tesuji

15 minutes ago, tesuji said:

There was a time when I had a crisis of faith and almost left the Mormon church.

You see, I had heard there was a Church of the Jedi starting up in Britain. I wanted to join, but they told me they couldn't teach me to build an actual real lightsaber. Talk about a false church.

And I wanted to join the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.  But then I found out that I don't get free spaghetti for life.  What kind of church is this?  I mean I was somewhat disappointed when I found out that a "Steak Center" was actually a "Stake Center."  What next?

Edited by Guest

Sheesh, go away for a few hours and you miss all the fun...

4 hours ago, unixknight said:

Well it certainly has cool points of its own, no doubt.  Still, as the descendant of a Crusader knight, I gotta go with the weapon of choice.

Here are some Templar swords for you to choose from: https://darksword-armory.com/medieval-weapons/templar-sword/

3 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Y'all keep this in mind the next time you want to argue about reserved seats in sacrament meeting.

Especially if the other guy happens to have a sword...

Light saber would be less painful, I think.

Steve Martin: All of Me is one of my favorite movies of all time.  "Back in bowl?" :crackup:

Guest MormonGator

3 minutes ago, zil said:

Steve Martin: All of Me is one of my favorite movies of all time.  "Back in bowl?" :crackup:

He wrote a really good book called "The Pleasure of My Company"