Guest LiterateParakeet

That's awesome!  

My favorite talks are the ones that share something about themselves.  So my suggestion is to think of a personal story that you would feel comfortable sharing about how you have felt the Savior's love in your own life (maybe something about your conversion, or some other time).  Then maybe add a quote from one of the Brethren and/or a scripture and you're done.  

Edited by LiterateParakeet

4 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

That's awesome!  

My favorite talks are the ones that share something about themselves.  So my suggestion is to think of a personal story that you would feel comfortable sharing about how you have felt the Savior's love in your own life (maybe something about your conversion, or some other time).  Then maybe add a quote from one of the Brethren and/or a scripture and you're done.  

I'll second that too. 5 minutes will f-l-y by super quick. You don't have time to give any form of an all encompassing talk, so yes, a personal experience would work best. Just remember, no one expects you to get up and wow everyone with historical facts or deep doctrine. You sharing a personal experience will bring the Spirit to the meeting and that is all that is needed and hoped for. Good luck AI!!

11 hours ago, An Investigator said:

Hi!

I have been asked to give a quick five minute talk in sacrament about how does Jesus show his love.. It's such a broad topic I have absolutely no idea what to write about, does anyone have any advice please x

Congrats!

Having a broad topic doesn't mean you have to cover the whole thing, but rather you get to pick which sub-topic you talk about.  So, how do you feel the Savior's love?   (5 minutes is actually super short, and don't worry at all about being a perfect speaker- I'm sure you've seen your ward members be less than perfect speakers lots of times).

35 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

ward members be less than perfect speakers lots of times).

It would be fun, in a nice loving way, if there were cartoon characters made for the different types of Sacrament Speakers. I can think of few I've seen repeatedly over the years: 

1. The "Quoter": Entire talk is made of 30-40 quotes and sits down without giving any personal commentary. 
2. The "You Got Me": The person who gives 90% of their talk on how the Bishop got them to talk, hunted them down and how they shouldn't need to do this again for another 10 years.
3. The "Droopy*": They read from the their paper in a monotone voice and never look up once from the paper. *Hanna Barbera cartoon

So on and so on. Just having a little fun. I realize many folks would rather walk in oncoming traffic than give a talk, so props to all that brave it.

Edited by NeedleinA

Thanks!

I'm not too bothered about the talking bit I used to do presentations for my degree.  It was how to answer the question which was perplexing.  I'm not really that great with sharing personal stuff, I think it's from my Catholic upbringing?

Anyway.. Yes there are some pretty significant moments in my life when I have really felt the saviours love,  none of them I would feel comfortable sharing in sacrament tbh as alot of its to do with my mums death as she died in my early twenties.

So... What I'm going to do is talk about how I grew up in the Catholic Church confusing intellectual knowledge with a knowledge of God and that I viewed God as a fire and brimstone, God of judgement.

Then I'm going to talk about 2 Nephi 2:25 and how awesome the atonement is and how Jesus paid the ultimate ransom an expression of love so pure that we find it difficult to comprehend so that we can live with Heavenly Father again.

Does that sound OK?

To prepare I would review a summary of the things Jesus did. Everything he did shows his love. Including his atonement. It shouldn't be hard to find examples. You can also google something like "Lds how jesus showed his love" - it should bring up articles on lds.org.

Also, look at the chapter in the book Gospel Principles about Jesus. Should be enough in there for a 5 minute talk. If you can't find this book on lds.org, let me know and I'll find the link.

Our granddaughter is being baptized this coming Saturday. She's asked me to give the talk on the Gift of the Holy Ghost. (With 24 other grandchildren and 7 children of our own, this is not the first time I've given his talk.)

One of the things I'll be doing is grabbing the piano bench, sitting on it, and talking directly to Eeee. Now, this is not going to work in Sacrament Meeting, at least not the piano bench. But I have talked directly to one person in the congregation, sometimes I identify the person (a child works best for this), sometimes not (to the point of not even letting people know I'm doing it). That way, I don't have to care if anyone else "gets anything from it", but I target the message, the final goal to that person. It makes it more like a (one-sided) conversation with someone I know needs a specific "lesson".

If others benefit, all the better.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

2 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

1. The "Quoter": Entire talk is made of 30-40 quotes and sits down without giving any personal commentary. 

30-40 quotes?  Most of ours only use one; an entire Ensign article, verbatim.  Sometimes even the photo captions and copyright notice.

Occasionally one of the thinkers will compile a talk from 2-3 articles.

1 hour ago, An Investigator said:

So... What I'm going to do is talk about how I grew up in the Catholic Church confusing intellectual knowledge with a knowledge of God and that I viewed God as a fire and brimstone, God of judgement.

Then I'm going to talk about 2 Nephi 2:25 and how awesome the atonement is and how Jesus paid the ultimate ransom an expression of love so pure that we find it difficult to comprehend so that we can live with Heavenly Father again.

Does that sound OK?

I felt the Spirit just reading this summary - stretch those two things into 5 minutes and you've got it!

1 hour ago, zil said:

I felt the Spirit just reading this summary - stretch those two things into 5 minutes and you've got it!

I think that there will be little or no need to "stretch" these topics. Quite the contrary, it'll take a lot of work to pare them down to five minutes.

Lehi

20 hours ago, An Investigator said:

Thanks!

I'm not too bothered about the talking bit I used to do presentations for my degree.  It was how to answer the question which was perplexing.  I'm not really that great with sharing personal stuff, I think it's from my Catholic upbringing?

Anyway.. Yes there are some pretty significant moments in my life when I have really felt the saviours love,  none of them I would feel comfortable sharing in sacrament tbh as alot of its to do with my mums death as she died in my early twenties.

Does that sound OK?

Wish i could be there for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2016 at 2:19 PM, NeedleinA said:

It would be fun, in a nice loving way, if there were cartoon characters made for the different types of Sacrament Speakers. I can think of few I've seen repeatedly over the years: 

2. The "You Got Me": The person who gives 90% of their talk on how the Bishop got them to talk, hunted them down and how they shouldn't need to do this again for another 10 years.
3. The "Droopy*": They read from the their paper in a monotone voice and never look up once from the paper. *Hanna Barbera cartoon

So on and so on. Just having a little fun. I realize many folks would rather walk in oncoming traffic than give a talk, so props to all that brave it.

we had a missionary version of this (depicting the different types of elders) from one of our elders who like to doodle and do cartoony things of that sort for a hobby.

• 2 months later...

You will do fine, in fact you may even find that 5 minutes are not enough. 

hang in there =) divine inspiration might reach you, if you wanna read about that, it is the latest post in shared talks on the forum. maybe you find somethign there you want to borrow =)