People walk out of church after biblical teaching on LGBT

prisonchaplain

There are many strings on this site about how the church is grappling with LGBT issues--remaining true to God, yet showing love and sensitivity.

Turns out even conservative Evangelical churches are paying a price for holding to truth.  http://www.trunews.com/assemblies-god-pastor-walkout-after-lgbt-rebuke/

8 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

There are many strings on this site about how the church is grappling with LGBT issues--remaining true to God, yet showing love and sensitivity.

Turns out even conservative Evangelical churches are paying a price for holding to truth.  http://www.trunews.com/assemblies-god-pastor-walkout-after-lgbt-rebuke/

Interesting quotes:

the Assemblies of God has a long tradition of being one of the bedrock denominations when it comes to Biblical values

What Is the Position of the Assemblies of God on Homosexuality?

Officially, the Assemblies of God believes strongly that God has declared great displeasure and opposition toward homosexual conduct. However, He yearns to restore and forgive all who come to Him, including homosexuals. Unfortunately, many today mislabel those who speak out against the sin of homosexuality as hate-mongers and prejudiced people seeking to oppress and take away the rights of homosexuals. But these persons view homosexuality from a skewed social perspective devoid of true biblical morality. The Church, however, is called to be faithful to God’s Word in all things. For this reason the Assemblies of God opposes homosexuality and the gay lifestyle recognizing such as sin. But we encourage all members to reach out in love to homosexuals extending to them the grace that leads us all to Christ’s forgiveness

Gee, why does that sound familiar?

I have a Catholic buddy who got his kids out of Boy Scouts after the recent decision, and subsequent lack of action from his church.

Our community church across the street had a much-loved yearly vacation bible school thing.  They received some mandate from higher up regarding LGBT-friendly curriculum that must be taught, and chose to dump the program instead.

Bishopric meeting has it's share of discussing abysmal Friends of Scouting donations, members or former members disaffected by the church's stance on not baptizing kids in certain households.

Yeah, there's lots of this going around.  

The pattern I see is I guess the bizarro world.  The bizarro world grows and develops and encompasses all things.

Right becomes wrong, and wrong becomes right until everything is turned around, backward. 

And ultimately, Satan reigns.

dc

Edited by David13

39 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Does anyone see a pattern here that extends to the Any Opposed?

17 minutes ago, David13 said:

The pattern I see is I guess the bizarro world.  The bizarro world grows and develops and encompasses all things.

Right becomes wrong, and wrong becomes right until everything is turned around, backward. 

And ultimately, Satan reigns.

And people say USA is not dead.

The land of promise, whose purpose is to worship Jesus Christ. When we don't …

Lehi

10 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

Not sure I'd call that paying a price; shake off the dust from your feet and focus your efforts on the ones willing to hear the Gospel.

I hear you @NightSG but there's a string on this site right now about why people leave the church.  It hurts because we care about souls.  Also, it's one thing to leave an area that is unreceptive, and quite another to see ones we called brothers and sisters shake the dust off their feet against us.  Still--you are right.  It's just sad.

You are hardly talking about all of the sinners with this thread prisonchaplain.  There are vast armies of them out there today.  We are quite a small minority.

And then there are the "easy" churches. 

The cafeteria Mormons.

It's all sad, yes, but no one ever said it was going to be easy.

dc

I don't know whether to read to much into it, but I noticed that Bates said

Bates says that the people who were most likely to walk out on a message on the Biblical stance of homosexuality are those people with relationship connections with those in the LGBT community.  Be it a son, daughter or parent,

Are we too quick to assign motives behind these people walking out? I recall the time shortly after my son was stillborn, I walked out of several church meetings (usually talking or highlighting something to do with the joy of parenting or children or families) during that time just because it was too painful to sit through the meeting. If the report is accurate, Pastor Bates has observed that those walking out are the ones closest to the conflict between "love this type of sinner - hate this type of sin". Is it possible they are walking out, not in some kind of protest or disapproval of the message, but because it is just difficult?

@MrShorty possible, but perhaps less likely. Our emphasis on the Holy Spirit's presence makes it more common, perhaps, for there to be some expressions of emotion during services. Additionally, it is not uncommon for there to be "altar services" at the end, where people will go up front to pray, to be prayed for, etc.  So, if someone were struggling with the pain of having loved ones caught up in the LGBT lifestyle, they might actually anticipate this time at the end, as an opportunity to seek God's help and comfort. 

All that to say "walking out" would nearly always be an act of protest or even anger against what was being said.  It is not impossible that one person might walk out due to being emotionally overcome, but not several.

21 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

Thank you for posting.

It is my opinion that souls leaving churches will soon become a minor issue concerning this trend.  I thought to give an opinion of what the future might hold but I have so underestimated this day from not so long ago.  My single greatest concern is that rationality has left the discussion and been replaced with emotions centered on selfishness and desire.  The patients have taken over the asylum with the intent to “cure” everybody else.

The Traveler

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

It is my opinion that souls leaving churches will soon become a minor issue concerning this trend.  I thought to give an opinion of what the future might hold but I have so underestimated this day from not so long ago.  My single greatest concern is that rationality has left the discussion and been replaced with emotions centered on selfishness and desire.  The patients have taken over the asylum with the intent to “cure” everybody else.

The Traveler

I don't know how to interpret your remarks.

dc

21 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

I hear you @NightSG but there's a string on this site right now about why people leave the church.  It hurts because we care about souls.  Also, it's one thing to leave an area that is unreceptive, and quite another to see ones we called brothers and sisters shake the dust off their feet against us.  Still--you are right.  It's just sad.

Here, though, we need to consider the difference between leaving (or not attending in the first place) a church service (or a specific congregation) and leaving the Gospel.  One may avoid a congregation for a myriad of reasons not relating to their acceptance of the Gospel.  They might be getting bullied or gossiped about, or even just be allergic to the perfume someone there bathes in.  Maybe they're just avoiding an ex girlfriend.  Those are the people we can help,  When they reject core tenets of the Gospel, however, there's not much we can do unless waterboarding or shock therapy is legalized.