Food storage, application?

nuclearfuels

Got a question about food storage, like is it supposed to be like 1 Kings 17 - Elijah and the Widow of Zarephath wher we keep eating from it and sharing it and it never runs out - or is it supposed to be like for realsies / on the real / like each family will live on that supply for 12 months - or is it like we consecrate it via the law of consecration - at, say the nearest stake center or Temple, and then take only what we need (if this is the case, I'm not sure I understand how this rewards those who prepared vs. those who didn't, liek the Parable of the 10 Virgins...) - or is it like we can provide meals for our neighbors during disasters like LDS people with food storage did in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina?

2 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

Got a question about food storage, like is it supposed to be like 1 Kings 17 - Elijah and the Widow of Zarephath wher we keep eating from it and sharing it and it never runs out - or is it supposed to be like for realsies / on the real / like each family will live on that supply for 12 months - or is it like we consecrate it via the law of consecration - at, say the nearest stake center or Temple, and then take only what we need (if this is the case, I'm not sure I understand how this rewards those who prepared vs. those who didn't, liek the Parable of the 10 Virgins...) - or is it like we can provide meals for our neighbors during disasters like LDS people with food storage did in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina?

1 hour ago, Eowyn said:

Yes.

Yes and no.

Brigham Young had two years worth of food for his family when he left Nauvoo. Three days later, he was as hungry as everyone else around him.

We are privileged to share, but it is a commandment that we all store food, clothing, fuel (where legal and possible), and money for at least three months or, preferably, two years. When some ignore the commandment in favor of boats, jeeps, stamp collections, bigger-than-necessary houses, fancy cars, and so on, it will be they who incur the just wrath of an offended God, and, even though those who do follow that commandment will pay an obvious temporal price (e.g., death of spouses and children by starvation), it will be the former who pay the spiritual price.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers