Why do I secretly hate sundays?

nineoreos

So, I love the Church, I love the Gospel, don't get me wrong, but for some reason I am more disagreeable, tired, upset, and ornery on Sunday than any other day of the week. It's been like this for about two years now, and I have no idea why. I keep the Sabbath Day holy, go to church for three hours as often as I can (with an 18 month old who usually naps during sunday school times its hard to stay all three hours some days), etc etc.

Please share if you've been in this predicament before. And hopefully some of you have been in this predicament and you have advice... My wife is getting a little tired of me always being disagreeable on sunday :P

I'm not sure it's that you hate Sundays.  For many of us, it's go go go go go every other day of the week.  When we finally have a down day, I find myself a little more ornery than other days for some reason. 

Going to church in those months before your toddler is ready for nursery is a test of faith, I'm convinced. It feels so pointless for awhile. It would be easier to take care of them at home, you're not getting anything out of church, it's hard to see the point. But trust me, you are not only planting seeds for your little one, but you are solidifying your own faith and resolve, even though you're probably too tired to see it right now. Hang in there. It does get better. In other seasons, you'll enjoy church again. Pregnant/baby/toddler season is tough at church.

And I could totally go for 9 Oreos right now. 

If it's due to wrangling your child, then yes, just hang in there. 

One idea: No matter what talk or lesson you listen to, pretend you are hearing the concepts for the first time. Our Zen friends call this "beginners's mind."

Are you feeling the Holy Spirit in church? For me that's when church becomes rewarding, when it re-connects me with the Spirit after a week of being "out in the world."

Also, using church as an opportunity to serve and lift other people. That's always rewarding.

Maybe your spiritual muscles have gotten flabby. If you're not already, remember to read scriptures and pray every day during the week.

Just some ideas - let us know more details and maybe we can give more specific advice.

I spent 10 years without hearing a Sacrament Meeting talk because of my two small kids - too distracting, having to be taken out, etc. Hang in there.

Edited by tesuji

12 hours ago, nineoreos said:

So, I love the Church, I love the Gospel, don't get me wrong, but for some reason I am more disagreeable, tired, upset, and ornery on Sunday than any other day of the week. It's been like this for about two years now, and I have no idea why. I keep the Sabbath Day holy, go to church for three hours as often as I can (with an 18 month old who usually naps during sunday school times its hard to stay all three hours some days), etc etc.

Please share if you've been in this predicament before. And hopefully some of you have been in this predicament and you have advice... My wife is getting a little tired of me always being disagreeable on sunday :P

I'm in a similar predicament - only I've had an aversion to Sunday and going to church all of my life. I've always associated it with being a wasted day that I can't do anything enjoyable.

Only now with a ten month old who will only nap at home and needs to nap about ten minutes before Sacrament meeting is through and doesn't wake up until 10 minutes before Sacrament meeting starts and is grumpy if waken early (it takes 15 minutes to get to church) let's just say that my lifelong struggle with the Sabbath has become exponentially greater. My wife and I get nothing out of suffering through going and can't stay, and yet we keep trying hoping one day we'll get a different result - isn't that about the definition of insanity.

You're certainly not alone, I think all new parents go through this to some extent.

Guest LiterateParakeet

You said you've felt this way for about two years...and your child is about two . . .  I would highly suspect that is your answer. :)  Hang in there, it gets better. 

This is in bad taste I know, but it made me laugh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RTJ4vHoYUs

(You've gotta like Alan Partridge!)

Seriously though: the dictionary definition of "ornery" could be the way I am on a Sunday. I certainly was yesterday. I don't know how my wife puts up with me sometimes!

Edited by Jamie123

For me? 

Thursday & Friday are the busiest days of my week when it comes to work and errands. I *need* Saturday to recover, especially since I usually don't get time to eat more than a single meal on Friday and so my blood sugar's in the dumps. Thing is, I rarely get Saturdays off since there's usually something going on. 

By the time Sunday rolls around, I'm so exhausted that I can barely stay awake in services. 

On 7/17/2016 at 10:59 AM, nineoreos said:

I can relate (or at least I could).  I do enjoy Sunday's much more currently than I used to.  I'd confer with your spouse and see how she feels about Sundays.  If she feels the same maybe you need to mix it up a little bit and make it less mundane.  It sounds like you and your wife both need a few hours to decompress each Sunday.  Sex helps.  When our kids got older and we lived just a few minutes drive from the ward, occasionally we would skip Sunday School and head home for a little ... and then drive back in time for Priesthood and Relief Society.  I can work fast. :)

I also found when I was in jobs that I dreaded going to work on Monday that when Sunday night rolled around I got depressed and moody.  When I had jobs that I enjoyed it made Sunday evenings much better.

On 7/17/2016 at 11:59 AM, nineoreos said:

So, I love the Church, I love the Gospel, don't get me wrong, but for some reason I am more disagreeable, tired, upset, and ornery on Sunday than any other day of the week.

Do you eat well on Sundays?  Some people get very grumpy when they don't have enough to eat.

Most Sundays the schedule is all messed up from that of the regular week, so people just don't think about eating.  And it seems such a trivial thing that we tend not to think that would cause emotional distress.  But it does.

Guest MormonGator
22 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

I started bringing almonds and mozzarella cheese sticks to church. Suddenly the 3 hours is more bearable.

I bring Silly Putty and my Kindle. 

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

You snack on silly puddy?  You've got to improve your diet, buddy.

Lol. I bring both just so I can stay awake. I chew gum during ward after sacrament.  

I have found that appreciating the Sabbath is something of an art, and the key for me was filling it with fun, Sabbath-appropriate activities instead of just waiting for it to end.  I have a little girl who is 4 years old, and the Sabbath has become our day - I play with her, read to her, and snuggle with her for hours on the Sabbath (and, as I have started to realize just how fast children grow up, having this kind of time for her is truly wonderful).   Other great Sabbath activities can include spending time with family, reading religious or even appropriate non-religious books, taking naps, painting, playing musical instruments, going on meditative walks, having a "church movie marathon", meditating, stargazing, playing board games with friends/family, taking a hot bath . . . the list goes on and on of things that are totally Sabbath appropriate, yet relaxing and fun.  Be creative, and find something that works for you!  

Also, never underestimate how much better the Sabbath can be with a good dinner in the evening.

Edited by DoctorLemon

5 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

I have found that appreciating the Sabbath is something of an art, and the key for me was filling it with fun, Sabbath-appropriate activities instead of just waiting for it to end.  I have a little girl who is 4 years old, and the Sabbath has become our day - I play with her, read to her, and snuggle with her for hours on the Sabbath (and, as I have started to realize just how fast children grow up, having this kind of time for her is truly wonderful).   Other great Sabbath activities can include spending time with family, reading religious or even appropriate non-religious books, taking naps, painting, playing musical instruments, going on meditative walks, having a "church movie marathon", meditating, stargazing, playing board games with friends/family, taking a hot bath . . . the list goes on and on of things that are totally Sabbath appropriate, yet relaxing and fun.  Be creative, and find something that works for you!  

Also, never underestimate how much better the Sabbath can be with a good dinner in the evening.

How wise of you! I am sure that Sunday be your daughter's favorite day forever.

Edited by Sunday21