5 hours ago, An Investigator said:

Ive heard of the CES letter but I have no desire to read it if I'm honest. 

There's no reason to read the CES letter, unless you have a desire to watch somebody get upset because they were too lazy to do research.

Edited by Jane_Doe

9 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

but hope it doesn't damage my testimony of Joseph Smith

I've not read the book, but my opinion is that the proper sequence should be: 1) Solidify testimony, 2) Read books which might shake a weaker testimony

8 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

holy crap

Sorry, the only throne for this is earthly.

Guest MormonGator
10 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

I'm ordering Rough Stone Rolling, but hope it doesn't damage my testimony of Joseph Smith. Then again I read the CES Letter twice and I still have strong faith in Joseph Smith.

I am of the school of thought that says you should read both sides of an argument and come to your own conclusion. I'm certainly no genius and I had no testimony when I read every possible book on the church and I still joined. I know I'm not alone. 

2 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

There's no reason to read the CES letter, unless you have a desire to watch somebody get upset because they were too lazy to do research.

I've read it.  There's nothing new in it.  It's just the same old tired arguments I've read on a dozen other sites. Why he thought he was "on to something" that no one had heard before is beyond me.

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I've read it.  There's nothing new in it.  It's just the same old tired arguments I've read on a dozen other sites. Why he thought he was "on to something" that no one had heard before is beyond me.

That's my issue with a lot of "anti's". They think they are the first ones to figure this stuff out when in reality, we (members, believers, etc) have been thinking about these things for years. 

3 hours ago, zil said:
11 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

holy crap

Sorry, the only throne for this is earthly.

:clap::roflmbo:.  I need a tissue.  ...er... for the tears, not the... uhm...  So, how's your day?

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

Dunno about that, just not bothered reading it, I've read the rebuttal to it on Fair Mormon so i have a fairly good idea what it contains...  I'm probably just too lazy, it's taking me ages to read this book haha 

Well... This book has beaten me, I have tried so hard as I feel as a member of the Church I should be aware of the history of the Church but to be honest it's just so dull... After the 4th time of walking up from a nap with this book pressed against my face I have given up ? 

20 minutes ago, An Investigator said:

to be honest it's just so dull

Joseph was, in spite of being a prophet, quite an ordinary man. It's just that he did extraordinary things when God commanded him to.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

1 hour ago, An Investigator said:

Well... This book has beaten me, I have tried so hard as I feel as a member of the Church I should be aware of the history of the Church but to be honest it's just so dull... After the 4th time of walking up from a nap with this book pressed against my face I have given up ? 

Hey, I have read it either :)  A person can be educated and a good member of this church without forced yourself through the massive volume which is RSR.  Cheer up.

8 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Hey, I have read it either :)  A person can be educated and a good member of this church without forced yourself through the massive volume which is RSR.  Cheer up.

I'm not upset about it.. Although it was quite an expensive book in the UK.    I just find it funny it keeps sending me to sleep ?

3 hours ago, An Investigator said:

I'm not upset about it.. Although it was quite an expensive book in the UK.    I just find it funny it keeps sending me to sleep ?

I'll have to suggest it to my wife.  She's been having trouble getting to sleep lately.

Guest MormonGator
11 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

I agree with An Investigator. I am 130 pages into the book and it's an effort to continue. The book has so many boring parts.

Book tastes (like all tastes in art) are so subjective, aren't they? 

I seriously hope no one feels guilty that they didn't like the book. Even though I loved it, I don't expect everyone to have the same literary tastes as I do! 

12 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I seriously hope no one feels guilty that they didn't like the book. Even though I loved it, I don't expect everyone to have the same literary tastes as I do! 

Oh please!  You just like being bored.  Admit it.  If there were a town called "Dullsville", you'd move right in the middle of town! ;)

PS: IMO, if sufficient people find your book boring, it's not because they have different tastes, it's because you didn't write it well.  (Feel free to run me out of Dullsville. :lol: )

16 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

So, what does the book taste like?  ... Chicken?

6 minutes ago, zil said:

Oh please!  You just like being bored.  Admit it.  If there were a town called "Dullsville", you'd move right in the middle of town! ;)

PS: IMO, if sufficient people find your book boring, it's not because they have different tastes, it's because you didn't write it well.  (Feel free to run me out of Dullsville. :lol: )

Well, chicken is pretty boring stuff.  But enough people like that.  Of course, I prefer the rotisserie seasoning that you get on your Sam's club or Costco chicken.

All kidding aside, David McCullough knows how to write history and make it interesting.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

So, what does the book taste like?  ... Chicken?

Apparently like dry, boneless, skinless chicken baked all by itself (no spices, herbs, veggies, etc.).

3 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Well, chicken is pretty boring stuff.  But enough people like that.  Of course, I prefer the rotisserie seasoning that you get on your Sam's club or Costco chicken.

And there's your answer.  If your book is boring, you may need some literary seasoning, a rotisserie, some sauce, a side dish, something.

5 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

All kidding aside, David McCullough knows how to write history and make it interesting.

I'm not trying to say otherwise - I wouldn't know - but the rule stands, IMO.  A good writer knows how to make even boring stuff interesting.

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

So, what does the book taste like?  

Human flesh. 

8 minutes ago, zil said:

PS: IMO, if sufficient people find your book boring, it's not because they have different tastes, it's because you didn't write it well.  

Sometimes. Moby Dick was considered incredibly dull (and in some parts, it certainly is) when it was first published and went nowhere. Now it's correctly viewed as a landmark of American fiction and in some ways, the first truly great American novel aside from The Scarlet Letter. 

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

251 pages in. It picked up with the chapter on exaltation. The doctrine parts I lime, the history daily life is what I struggle through.

See I'm the opposite. I like the history stuff and the doctrine is just "eh" to me! Lol.