Are the Neuro drinks against the word of wisdom?

mt_mck7

So, there's these neuro drinks that have a bunch of different flavors. There's the sonic (that gives you energy), bliss, and I think sleep is one of them too. I've had them every so often, and I usually have the sonics because that gives me more energy and I'm able to be more focused. I don't have them everyday, but I just got one of them from the grocery store this morning, and it wasn't until now that I looked at the ingredients. One of the ingredients it L-Theanine (L-TeaActive), so I looked it up. It said that L-Theanine is an ingredient in tea that comes from the tea-leaf, and I was wondering that since that's in it, it might be against the word of wisdom (the word of wisdom is where members of the LDS church are encouraged not to drink tea, coffee, beer, or anything that can take away our free agency). Are the Neuro drinks against the word of wisdom?

2 hours ago, mt_mck7 said:

So, there's these neuro drinks that have a bunch of different flavors. There's the sonic (that gives you energy), bliss, and I think sleep is one of them too. I've had them every so often, and I usually have the sonics because that gives me more energy and I'm able to be more focused. I don't have them everyday, but I just got one of them from the grocery store this morning, and it wasn't until now that I looked at the ingredients. One of the ingredients it L-Theanine (L-TeaActive), so I looked it up. It said that L-Theanine is an ingredient in tea that comes from the tea-leaf, and I was wondering that since that's in it, it might be against the word of wisdom (the word of wisdom is where members of the LDS church are encouraged not to drink tea, coffee, beer, or anything that can take away our free agency). Are the Neuro drinks against the word of wisdom?

Not specifically against it, but certainly these drinks break the spirit of the WOW.

You're asking a question that is at the heart of the reason why the Church doesn't just publish a tome of all the things on the "disapproved list" of the WoW.  There are simply too many things that are in a gray area and you really have to do some research and soul searching and praying for guidance on a matter like this.

L-Theanine by itself is a simple amino acid.  None of the amino acids that we eat are against the WoW by themselves.  But what if you were to break down all the components of a tea leaf and say - hey, none of these is against the WoW.  So, now I'll just mix them up together and I'm ok, right?  Really?  This is why I'd research into just how much of the tea is actually in the drink rather than derived from the tea.

But in the end, just pray about it and make up your own mind about it.  Remember that the WoW is not just a list of do's and don'ts.  It is about good, sound practices.  It's about abiding by covenants and receiving blessings from obeying them.  It's about having a personal relationship with the Lord in such mundane things such as eating.  Do you feel like you're appreciating the Lord with his gift of food and drink?

On August 18, 2016 at 6:38 AM, mt_mck7 said:

There are a lot of drugs between these drinks, unless you are taking them as treatment or medication i would do my best avoid them.