Food storage Challenge

pam

I friend of mine posted on facebook a challenge to be done during the month of December.  It was a food bank advent.  Each day you put in an item and then on Christmas eve donate it to the food bank.  Great idea!  But it got me to thinking about our own food storage and how we could use this daily concept as well.

All of us should be putting together a 72 hour kit, 3 months of items you use daily and a longer term storage plan.

So what if you started easily on any of these and put in 1 item per day?   It could be anything from a can of chicken noodle soup to a roll of toilet paper. But at least put in 1 item per day. That adds up to 365 items by the end of the year. Think of how much closer you would be.  Most of us could afford to put at least 1 item into any of our storage plans each day.

@mirkwood

3 hours ago, pam said:

I friend of mine posted on facebook a challenge to be done during the month of December.  It was a food bank advent.  Each day you put in an item and then on Christmas eve donate it to the food bank.  Great idea!  But it got me to thinking about our own food storage and how we could use this daily concept as well.

All of us should be putting together a 72 hour kit, 3 months of items you use daily and a longer term storage plan.

So what if you started easily on any of these and put in 1 item per day?   It could be anything from a can of chicken noodle soup to a roll of toilet paper. But at least put in 1 item per day. That adds up to 365 items by the end of the year. Think of how much closer you would be.  Most of us could afford to put at least 1 item into any of our storage plans each day.

@mirkwood

Skip the 72 hour kit and go straight to your food storage.  The church teaches us self reliance, which includes food storage, not 72 hour kits.  72 hour kits are a FEMA concept and quite foolish if you replace your food storage preparations with a 72 hour kit.  They do have their purpose which you can find in the link below.

I taught a food storage in my ward for years and now I'm working the prep stuff at the stake level.  The lesson I taught is at this link:  http://preppercop.blogspot.com/

On 8/27/2016 at 11:23 PM, mirkwood said:

Skip the 72 hour kit and go straight to your food storage.  The church teaches us self reliance, which includes food storage, not 72 hour kits.  72 hour kits are a FEMA concept and quite foolish if you replace your food storage preparations with a 72 hour kit.  They do have their purpose which you can find in the link below.

I taught a food storage in my ward for years and now I'm working the prep stuff at the stake level.  The lesson I taught is at this link:  http://preppercop.blogspot.com/

Unless you're in coastal Florida.  72-hour grab-and-go kits are great for mandatory evacuation.

1 hour ago, mirkwood said:

72 hour kits DO NOT replace food storage.

Of course it doesn't.  They serve 2 different purposes.  You can't evacuate with your 1-year food supply... but the 72-hour kit is not designed for long-term living.

Edited by anatess2

16 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Living out in the middle of nowhere, we have food storage, bug out bags, and each car has a get-home bag.  We've used all three.

When we got evacuated for a forest fire, we left the food storage at home, and had bug-out and get-home bags.  

NT, I am dangerously close to calling you my clone again.  But I miss the elephant... er... ibis... er... albatross.  I cant' get past the pony.:animatedthumbsdown: