Lds Civil Wedding Ceremonies Are Lame.

Jason

What's more important, being married to a wonderful spouse or having cute decorations or ceremonies?

It's my belief that LDS weddings are kept simple to allow those present to focus on what's really important: a civil union between two adults who are committed to each other. Whether you get married in an extravagant chapel or in your bathroom, the marriage is equally valid.

If I might, the Priesthood has never been removed from the earth at any time. And while your temple ceremonies bring you spiritual blessings, they are not necessary for anyone's exaltation.

Then I can only say to you what I have said to others, which is, "Look me up in a hundred years and we will discuss it more in detail then."

<div class='quotemain'>by my bishop. he did the ring ceremony

I'm confused. I thought the bishop did not do a ring ceremony. Have I misunderstood?
the only restrictions there were to the wedding was no filming or takign pictures during the actual ceremony itself, but everything was fine, you coudl also aduio-record the ceremony if you like, but no video taping or pictures. Which is understandable.
Why couldn't there be film or video in the Relief Society room? The CHI Jason posted only say in the Chapel. Perhaps that's been updated?

I attended my MIL's wedding in the Relief Society room 17 years ago and they took pictures.

Thanks for any clarifications you can offer.

Elphaba

You can take picutres and video if its in another room or in a home ,etc...just not in the Chapel....yes there is a ring ceremony you can use to go along with the ceremony itself. I would usually stand in the front of the room or chapel and once the bride and groom were in front of me I would begin by offering an opening prayer. I always had a talk or speech prepared before I started the actual ceremony. My reason for this was.....knowing its a short service I would try to stretch it out. I would then go into the ceremony and before doing the Ring exchange...that was always a good place for a special musical number. Then go on with the ring exchange. Its not rocket science , just use some imagination. Of all the marriages I performed, doing the Ceremony of my oldest daughter and her husband was the greatest!!!!

There are many couples who cannot afford a multi-dollar wedding and reception. It is nice that they can get married without starting their new life in debt for a wedding that they could not afford.

If the parents want a large expensive wedding then they need to pay for it. I believe that in any church, you can ask for the person that you want to perform the service.

Just remember that it is the bride & grooms wedding regardless of who is paying for it.

I would rather attend a simple wedding than to have a couple so intimidated that they cannot afford a wedding that they resign to living together without being married.

I would not insult any man or woman ordained to perform a wedding ceremony or any other spiritual ordinance.

The priesthood holders of the LDS Church are respected by most church authorities regardless of their denomination.

To insult the one who performed the marriage ceremony is inexcusable. A letter of apology should be sent.

You can take picutres and video if its in another room or in a home ,etc...just not in the Chapel....yes there is a ring ceremony you can use to go along with the ceremony itself. I would usually stand in the front of the room or chapel and once the bride and groom were in front of me I would begin by offering an opening prayer. I always had a talk or speech prepared before I started the actual ceremony. My reason for this was.....knowing its a short service I would try to stretch it out. I would then go into the ceremony and before doing the Ring exchange...that was always a good place for a special musical number. Then go on with the ring exchange. Its not rocket science , just use some imagination. Of all the marriages I performed, doing the Ceremony of my oldest daughter and her husband was the greatest!!!!

Hey thanks Pale! And your story about your daughter and SIL made my heart twitterpate! :wub:

Elphie

What is it about Mormonism that mandates civil ceremonies should stink? Is someone afraid that people will discover just as much beauty or more in a non-temple wedding as they do a temple wedding? And in case someone retorts they don't have to stink, I here provide you with the CHI on the matter:

Because the idea that a simple "till death do you part" ceremony is almoast laughable in comparison to a ceremony that has the power to beat Death and Time. Utlimately, if the couple does not get sealed, they marriage, love, and relationship with eachother was one of futility. Harsh, but true.

Because the idea that a simple "till death do you part" ceremony is almoast laughable in comparison to a ceremony that has the power to beat Death and Time. Utlimately, if the couple does not get sealed, they marriage, love, and relationship with eachother was one of futility. Harsh, but true.

Our relationships need not be, and probably are not, till death do us part. Each successive life we live on this earth brings us into contact with those we knew previously.

What is it about Mormonism that mandates civil ceremonies should stink? Is someone afraid that people will discover just as much beauty or more in a non-temple wedding as they do a temple wedding? And in case someone retorts they don't have to stink, I here provide you with the CHI on the matter:

Jason,

The Church Handbook of Instructions is a copyrighted publication of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and to publish any part of it on the internet without specific permission from the Church is a violation of that copyright. With that knowledge, I hope that all who post here will try to respect that right.

<div class='quotemain'>

Jason,

The Church Handbook of Instructions is a copyrighted publication of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and to publish any part of it on the internet without specific permission from the Church is a violation of that copyright. With that knowledge, I hope that all who post here will try to respect that right.

The Church copyrighted this text so that nobody could read it. That's just dumb. Besides, US Copyright laws don't apply in the Netherlands.

If I might, the Priesthood has never been removed from the earth at any time. And while your temple ceremonies bring you spiritual blessings, they are not necessary for anyone's exaltation.

I'm afraid that I don't understand what you mean by the last seven words in your statement above.

<div class='quotemain'>

Our relationships need not be, and probably are not, till death do us part. Each successive life we live on this earth brings us into contact with those we knew previously.

I didn't know you believed in reincarnation. You learn something new every day.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Jason,

The Church copyrighted this text so that nobody could read it. That's just dumb. Besides, US Copyright laws don't apply in the Netherlands.

When did you move to the Netherlands? And, I"m pretty sure the reason it's copyrighted is not to keep people from reading it.

<div class='quotemain'>

I'm afraid that I don't understand what you mean by the last seven words in your statement above.

What's not to understand? Let me try saying it with seven different words: The Endowment and Sealings are not essential.

In your opinion.

edited for spelling

So can the chapel be used for a ring exchange ceremony for non-member parents of those that are sealed in the temple?

Unless it's been changed, if a couple wants a ring exchange ceremony, that can be done at a reception in the cultural hall of the ward building after a Temple marriage, or another place of their choosing. The chapel area of the building itself is used for Sacrament meeings, funerals, or other worship and instructional meetings of the Church.

I got volunteered to perform the music at one of my wife's friend's wedding by pushing play and pause on an I-Pod. My duties were to simply plug in my I-Pod, push pause and play at the right times, and be out. Flawlessly executed, my duty was done, but the father of the bride rushed to the head of the congregation and asked that two nephews or cousins or something sing a last minute special song to the newly weds.

He said to me: 'Sound guy, can you get them set up.'

I looked around and tried to explain that it wasn't I that had set up the microphones or had anything to do with that sort of thing. But he didn't listen and began talking all over me about how this was my job and stuff. As I tried to rig the set up for their song (out of good will), the mic was cutting in and out and making noise. The guy just got more and more mad. I was just trying to help.

Finally I got the thing up as best as possible and the kids started to sing. The whole place started to say: 'Turn it up!' I would try, but the mics would just blare in feedback.

The kids were practically whispering into the mic.

I kept saying: 'Sing louder.'

More people started to frown at me and the father came up started to curse and rant. He stopped the song and began to say things like: 'Who in here can get these mics set up? Apparently this sound guy can't do his job!'

I finally had to just walk out because none of them would let me explain that I was not hired to do sound and that they had cheaped out and had the minister wire it all up (he was hiding by this time). Plus, I didn't dare say their kids couldn't sing loud enough for the mic to pick them up with the volume so high I could hear the conversations of people on the 4th row coming through.

At the reception I had to continually apologize and try to be nice to lots of offended old people I didn't even know. I had paid for my family to travel out of state to be at the wedding of a couple I barely knew at all and had done what little work I did there out of good will and favor. Still, I was shunned like some kind of slacker who was scamming the father of the bride.

After the liquor set in, it was all forgotten and the party went all night (this wedding was in the middle of nowhere Arkansas). We drove home and arrived just after dawn the next day. I don't let the wife volunteer me anymore.

-a-train

<div class='quotemain'>

What's not to understand? Let me try saying it with seven different words: The Endowment and Sealings are not essential.

I see. Not essential for what?

I got volunteered to perform the music at one of my wife's friend's wedding by pushing play and pause on an I-Pod. -a-train

Moral: No good deed goes unpunished.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Jason,

No Jason, copyright laws establish ownership of printed material. You may think that the law is dumb, but you are still breaking the law, even in Wyoming. I can check the Netherlands, but since you have violated the copyright on a website in the U. S., I suspect that you are violating U. S. law in the U. S.

So can the chapel be used for a ring exchange ceremony for non-member parents of those that are sealed in the temple?

Yes, as far as I know. My brother was sealed in the Temple and before the reception they had a ring ceremony in the chapel for her parents and any non-memeber friends. Of course that was 15 years ago.

Unless it's been changed, if a couple wants a ring exchange ceremony, that can be done at a reception in the cultural hall of the ward building after a Temple marriage, or another place of their choosing. The chapel area of the building itself is used for Sacrament meeings, funerals, or other worship and instructional meetings of the Church.

Maybe it's a Canadian LDS allowance. I've attended a ring ceremony in the chapel; a very personal and lovely ceremony, if I may say. It is afterall a ceremony, what better place to have it than in the chapel?

M.

No Jason, copyright laws establish ownership of printed material. You may think that the law is dumb, but you are still breaking the law, even in Wyoming. I can check the Netherlands, but since you have violated the copyright on a website in the U. S., I suspect that you are violating U. S. law in the U. S.

Fair use

Fair use is a doctrine in United States copyright law that allows limited use of copyrighted material without requiring permission from the rights holders, such as use for scholarship or review. It provides for the legal, non-licensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test. It is based on free speech rights provided by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. The term "fair use" is unique to the United States; a similar principle, fair dealing, exists in some other common law jurisdictions. Civil law jurisdictions have other limitations and exceptions to copyright.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

M.