Lds Civil Wedding Ceremonies Are Lame.

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 gabelpa

gabelpa

• Registered Users
  • 627 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:11 PM

In England, a Temple sealing is not seen as legal partnership so anyone being married in England has to have a civil ceremony first. In Scotland a Temple marriage would be recognised as on equal footing as a civil marriage, except we don't actually have a Temple in Scotland.

When me and my wife got married, we had to have a civil ceremony before we could go get sealed. Our wedding was nice, we had to bend our Branch President's will a bit so we could have a full ring exchange ceremony (he was only willing to have me give her a ring, not her to me as well). We had some lovely flower arrangements done by our next door neighbour (a member), and the cake was done by my wife's best friend (not a member). It was a simple ceremony, but it was certainly not lame.

#22 Aphrodite

Aphrodite

Banned

• Banned
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:56 PM

If you are refering to Aphrodite, she did get married in the Temple but because she lives in the UK, marriage laws are different. She had a lovely Civil ceremony and then later in the day (I believe) she and her husband were sealed in the Temple.

M. [/b]

Thanks for clarifying that M :)

My wedding was very spiritual. Everyone said for weeks afterwards the love and the spirit that was present at our wedding. So many people were crying including me and my husband. Even my non member friends said it was unlike any other wedding they had been to before. A civil wedding does not mean the wedding is devoid of spirit and emotion. It was the most spiritual experience in my life that everyone could share in, which a temple marriage does not allow. It seems different bishops have different rules which seems unfair to me. What one could have, another can not.

#23 Old Tex

Old Tex

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:59 PM

My wife and I were married in 1954 by our Baptist preacher, with her sister and another couple attending. Very simple. We had three small children when the missionaries first called on us in the early 1960s. We joined the LDS Church in 1963. In 1966 we drove about 2000 miles to reach a LDS Temple.

We received our endowments and our marriage was sealed. Our three little angels, all dresses in white, were brought in by the temple workers and sealed to my wife and I. That day concluded what we had been working toward for three years.

That was 41 years ago. We have been married for 53 years, and grand kids, and great grand kids, have been added. Now we have a temple only 80 miles from our house. My wife and I attend often. We are still doing proxy work for ancestors that we research.

I'm saying this for those here who don't understand what eternal marriage is, and for those who don't seem to treasure it. We are living in a time that the prophets only dreamed of. The Priesthood is among the people again. The saving ordinances have been restored and are available in our day in the Temples.

The stone has been cut from the mountian without hands, and has began rolling forth to fill all the earth. The building of Temples has just begun, and it will continue. The days that Isaiah saw are begining and will continue throughout the 1000 years of peace that will soon start.

"And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem".

#24 Canuck Mormon

Canuck Mormon

• Members
  • 2838 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:14 PM

If you are refering to Aphrodite, she did get married in the Temple but because she lives in the UK, marriage laws are different. She had a lovely Civil ceremony and then later in the day (I believe) she and her husband were sealed in the Temple.

M. [/b]

Thanks for clarifying that M :)

My wedding was very spiritual. Everyone said for weeks afterwards the love and the spirit that was present at our wedding. So many people were crying including me and my husband. Even my non member friends said it was unlike any other wedding they had been to before. A civil wedding does not mean the wedding is devoid of spirit and emotion. It was the most spiritual experience in my life that everyone could share in, which a temple marriage does not allow. It seems different bishops have different rules which seems unfair to me. What one could have, another can not.
[/b]

My parents, who are English & Scottish respectively, were married civilly, then they had to wait a week before they could go to the Temple, so they celebrate 2 anniversaries.
Check out my blog!!!

http://www.gmc72.blogspot.com/

#25 Jason

Jason

Banned

• Banned
  • 3177 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:20 PM

I'm saying this for those here who don't understand what eternal marriage is, and for those who don't seem to treasure it. We are living in a time that the prophets only dreamed of. The Priesthood is among the people again. The saving ordinances have been restored and are available in our day in the Temples.

The stone has been cut from the mountian without hands, and has began rolling forth to fill all the earth. The building of Temples has just begun, and it will continue. The days that Isaiah saw are begining and will continue throughout the 1000 years of peace that will soon start.

I suggest that those in this forum who have found various things that you disagree with concerning the Temples to try to understand what is happening. Are you like one of the five wise virgins who's lamps are full of oil and are prepared for when the Bridegroom willl come, or are you like one of the five foolish virgins who have used up the oil in you lamps and your lamps have ceased to provide light?

[/b]

If I might, the Priesthood has never been removed from the earth at any time. And while your temple ceremonies bring you spiritual blessings, they are not necessary for anyone's exaltation.
<div align="center">Click Here</div>

#26 the_jason

the_jason

• Registered Users
  • 959 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:28 PM

What's more important, being married to a wonderful spouse or having cute decorations or ceremonies?

It's my belief that LDS weddings are kept simple to allow those present to focus on what's really important: a civil union between two adults who are committed to each other. Whether you get married in an extravagant chapel or in your bathroom, the marriage is equally valid.
I'm cool and you know it.

#27 Old Tex

Old Tex

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:50 PM

If I might, the Priesthood has never been removed from the earth at any time. And while your temple ceremonies bring you spiritual blessings, they are not necessary for anyone's exaltation. [/b]

Then I can only say to you what I have said to others, which is, "Look me up in a hundred years and we will discuss it more in detail then."

#28 Palerider

Palerider

I don\'t own a horse-Senior Member

• Members
  • 17390 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:35 PM

[quote]
<div class='quotemain'>by my bishop. he did the ring ceremony [/b][/quote]I'm confused. I thought the bishop did not do a ring ceremony. Have I misunderstood?

[quote]the only restrictions there were to the wedding was no filming or takign pictures during the actual ceremony itself, but everything was fine, you coudl also aduio-record the ceremony if you like, but no video taping or pictures. Which is understandable.[/b][/quote]Why couldn't there be film or video in the Relief Society room? The CHI Jason posted only say in the Chapel. Perhaps that's been updated?

I attended my MIL's wedding in the Relief Society room 17 years ago and they took pictures.

Thanks for any clarifications you can offer.

Elphaba
[/b][/quote]
You can take picutres and video if its in another room or in a home ,etc...just not in the Chapel....yes there is a ring ceremony you can use to go along with the ceremony itself. I would usually stand in the front of the room or chapel and once the bride and groom were in front of me I would begin by offering an opening prayer. I always had a talk or speech prepared before I started the actual ceremony. My reason for this was.....knowing its a short service I would try to stretch it out. I would then go into the ceremony and before doing the Ring exchange...that was always a good place for a special musical number. Then go on with the ring exchange. Its not rocket science , just use some imagination. Of all the marriages I performed, doing the Ceremony of my oldest daughter and her husband was the greatest!!!!
As Long As I Am Here......It Doesn't Matter Where Here Is.....

Governments tend not to solve problems, only to rearrange them....Ronald Reagan

The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has.......Will Rogers

#29 Annabelli

Annabelli

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:16 PM

There are many couples who cannot afford a multi-dollar wedding and reception. It is nice that they can get married without starting their new life in debt for a wedding that they could not afford.

If the parents want a large expensive wedding then they need to pay for it. I believe that in any church, you can ask for the person that you want to perform the service.

Just remember that it is the bride & grooms wedding regardless of who is paying for it.

I would rather attend a simple wedding than to have a couple so intimidated that they cannot afford a wedding that they resign to living together without being married.

I would not insult any man or woman ordained to perform a wedding ceremony or any other spiritual ordinance.

The priesthood holders of the LDS Church are respected by most church authorities regardless of their denomination.

To insult the one who performed the marriage ceremony is inexcusable. A letter of apology should be sent.

#30 Elphaba

Elphaba

• Members
  • 6592 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:47 PM

You can take picutres and video if its in another room or in a home ,etc...just not in the Chapel....yes there is a ring ceremony you can use to go along with the ceremony itself. I would usually stand in the front of the room or chapel and once the bride and groom were in front of me I would begin by offering an opening prayer. I always had a talk or speech prepared before I started the actual ceremony. My reason for this was.....knowing its a short service I would try to stretch it out. I would then go into the ceremony and before doing the Ring exchange...that was always a good place for a special musical number. Then go on with the ring exchange. Its not rocket science , just use some imagination. Of all the marriages I performed, doing the Ceremony of my oldest daughter and her husband was the greatest!!!![/b]

Hey thanks Pale! And your story about your daughter and SIL made my heart twitterpate! :wub:

Elphie

Failing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged.

Missing me one place, search another.

I stop somewhere waiting for you.

~~Walt Whitman

#31 FrankJL

FrankJL

• Registered Users
  • 725 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:13 AM

So can the chapel be used for a ring exchange ceremony for non-member parents of those that are sealed in the temple?

#32 Canuck Mormon

Canuck Mormon

• Members
  • 2838 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:00 AM

Yes, as far as I know. My brother was sealed in the Temple and before the reception they had a ring ceremony in the chapel for her parents and any non-memeber friends. Of course that was 15 years ago.
Check out my blog!!!

http://www.gmc72.blogspot.com/

#33 antispatula

antispatula

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:55 PM

What is it about Mormonism that mandates civil ceremonies should stink? Is someone afraid that people will discover just as much beauty or more in a non-temple wedding as they do a temple wedding? And in case someone retorts they don't have to stink, I here provide you with the CHI on the matter:
[/b]

Because the idea that a simple "till death do you part" ceremony is almoast laughable in comparison to a ceremony that has the power to beat Death and Time. Utlimately, if the couple does not get sealed, they marriage, love, and relationship with eachother was one of futility. Harsh, but true.

#34 Jason

Jason

Banned

• Banned
  • 3177 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:02 PM

Because the idea that a simple "till death do you part" ceremony is almoast laughable in comparison to a ceremony that has the power to beat Death and Time. Utlimately, if the couple does not get sealed, they marriage, love, and relationship with eachother was one of futility. Harsh, but true.
[/b]

Our relationships need not be, and probably are not, till death do us part. Each successive life we live on this earth brings us into contact with those we knew previously.

#35 Old Tex

Old Tex

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:48 PM

What is it about Mormonism that mandates civil ceremonies should stink? Is someone afraid that people will discover just as much beauty or more in a non-temple wedding as they do a temple wedding? And in case someone retorts they don't have to stink, I here provide you with the CHI on the matter: [/b]

Jason,

The Church Handbook of Instructions is a copyrighted publication of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and to publish any part of it on the internet without specific permission from the Church is a violation of that copyright. With that knowledge, I hope that all who post here will try to respect that right.

#36 Jason

Jason

Banned

• Banned
  • 3177 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:56 PM

[quote]
<div class='quotemain'>

What is it about Mormonism that mandates civil ceremonies should stink? Is someone afraid that people will discover just as much beauty or more in a non-temple wedding as they do a temple wedding? And in case someone retorts they don't have to stink, I here provide you with the CHI on the matter: [/b][/quote]

Jason,

The Church Handbook of Instructions is a copyrighted publication of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and to publish any part of it on the internet without specific permission from the Church is a violation of that copyright. With that knowledge, I hope that all who post here will try to respect that right.
[/b][/quote]

The Church copyrighted this text so that nobody could read it. That's just dumb. Besides, US Copyright laws don't apply in the Netherlands.

#37 Old Tex

Old Tex

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:06 PM

[quote] [quote]

If I might, the Priesthood has never been removed from the earth at any time. And while your temple ceremonies bring you spiritual blessings, they are not necessary for anyone's exaltation. [/quote]

I'm afraid that I don't understand what you mean by the last seven words in your statement above.

#38 Jason

Jason

Banned

• Banned
  • 3177 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:10 PM

I'm afraid that I don't understand what you mean by the last seven words in your statement above.
[/b]

What's not to understand? Let me try saying it with seven different words: The Endowment and Sealings are not essential.

#39 john doe

john doe

Head Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 9648 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:47 PM

[quote]
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Our relationships need not be, and probably are not, till death do us part. Each successive life we live on this earth brings us into contact with those we knew previously.
[/b][/quote]

I didn't know you believed in reincarnation. You learn something new every day.

[quote]
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

What is it about Mormonism that mandates civil ceremonies should stink? Is someone afraid that people will discover just as much beauty or more in a non-temple wedding as they do a temple wedding? And in case someone retorts they don't have to stink, I here provide you with the CHI on the matter: [/b][/quote]

Jason,

[/b][/quote]

The Church copyrighted this text so that nobody could read it. That's just dumb. Besides, US Copyright laws don't apply in the Netherlands.
[/b][/quote]

When did you move to the Netherlands? And, I"m pretty sure the reason it's copyrighted is not to keep people from reading it.

[quote]
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

What's not to understand? Let me try saying it with seven different words: The Endowment and Sealings are not essential.
[/b][/quote]

In your opinion.

edited for spelling
Pressure: It can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond, or an average person into a perfect basketcase.
-from despair.com

Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, & communism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!
From protestwarrior.com

#40 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy

• Registered Users
  • 2292 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:20 PM

wyoming....netherlands...outer darkness..all the same place? :dontknow: :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq