• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Aluwid

Aluwid

• Inactive with Posts
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:02 PM

Now that Prospective Elders are assigned to the High Priest Quorum (I assume this is a church wide policy) I'm curious how other Wards handle it with new male members of the church? In this case they will be attending the Elders quorum and will eventually become an Elder, yet they are being home taught by High Priests so they might not have the strong bonds that new members can form with their home teachers within the Elders Quorum itself. Any ideas? It seems like it might be helpful to ask the High Priest home teacher to sit in the Elders quorum temporarily until the new member is comfortable, but I'd like to hear what other quorums are doing.

#2 poulsenll

poulsenll

• Inactive with Posts
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:18 PM

Now that Prospective Elders are assigned to the High Priest Quorum (I assume this is a church wide policy) I'm curious how other Wards handle it with new male members of the church? In this case they will be attending the Elders quorum and will eventually become an Elder, yet they are being home taught by High Priests so they might not have the strong bonds that new members can form with their home teachers within the Elders Quorum itself. Any ideas? It seems like it might be helpful to ask the High Priest home teacher to sit in the Elders quorum temporarily until the new member is comfortable, but I'd like to hear what other quorums are doing.[/b]

I am the first assistant in our High priests group and our Bishop assigns new converts to both qouorums based on their age group so that they have the opportunity to develop friendships with others with similar goals and needs. About half of the active members in our group are prospective Elders and are well on their way to becoming Elders and eventually High Priests. I think some Bishops assign them to the High Priests group thinking that High Priests will be more consistent in Home Teaching them. This may be true in some Wards but not in many that I know. It may also depend on the number of converts in your Ward. We consistently have between 40 and 80 recent converts (confirmed in the last two years) to look after. Dividing between the two groups helps to distribute the load.

Larry P

#3 Daniel

Daniel

• Inactive with Posts
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:37 PM

Now that Prospective Elders are assigned to the High Priest Quorum (I assume this is a church wide policy) I'm curious how other Wards handle it with new male members of the church? In this case they will be attending the Elders quorum and will eventually become an Elder, yet they are being home taught by High Priests so they might not have the strong bonds that new members can form with their home teachers within the Elders Quorum itself. Any ideas? It seems like it might be helpful to ask the High Priest home teacher to sit in the Elders quorum temporarily until the new member is comfortable, but I'd like to hear what other quorums are doing.[/b]

Your High Priests do this for you all? Ours won't touch a Perspective Elder or Convert unless they are 50+. I think thats a good idea to have their home teachers sit in class with them every once in awhile.

#4 avatar4321

• Inactive with Posts
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:47 AM

Being part of a singles branch our Elders quorum doesn't have the luxury of passing prospective elders to the high priests because we dont have any high priests. I cant imagine that it wouldnt be more effective to split the efforts though.

#5 Aluwid

Aluwid

• Inactive with Posts
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:53 AM

Interesting, I was assuming that this was a church wide policy but apparently not. Or are your Wards the exceptions to the rule?

#6 J Green

J Green

• Inactive with Posts
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:15 AM

This is indeed a Church-wide program instituted by a letter from the First Presidency. This would have been in 2004 or 2005, because I had returned home from a deployment in Iraq and was serving as HP Group Leader at the time. However, the letter does not assign all prospective elders to the HP Group, it simply makes the group leader (as opposed to the EQ Pres) responsible for their spiritual development--basically setting a spiritual development plan for each individual. How that plan is developed is left to each group leader as he counsels with his quorum leader (Stake President) and coordinates with the EQ president, although page two of the letter did make a few suggestions and give ideas ranging from having the PE attend HP Group or be assigned as a home teaching companion with a HP if appropriate. You will see this policy carried out differently across stakes and within wards as group leaders make plans for each PE based on that person's age, spiritual development, personal needs, etc.

#7 rmpoulsen

rmpoulsen

• Inactive with Posts
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:52 AM

Some of the quidelines are that if the prospective elder would be better served by having an Elder as home teacher, assign it that way. What they are trying to accomplish is activation of some of the hard-core inactives that probably wont be reached except through extra care that will, hopefully, be provided by the High Priest.

#8 Jigglysaint

Jigglysaint

• Inactive with Posts
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:48 AM

What do they do with prospective elders who don't get the priesthood in like 10 years?

#9 rmpoulsen

rmpoulsen

• Inactive with Posts
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:39 PM

Just keep working on them. It is best to just be a friend letting them know that you care and who you represent. I currently teach two men in thier 70s who have no priesthood and aren't interested in the church, but I enjoy visiting with them.

#10 Jigglysaint

Jigglysaint

• Inactive with Posts
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:43 PM

BTW, I've been a member for six years and still haven't been able to advance in the priesthood. That's why I'm asking.

#11 poulsenll

poulsenll

• Inactive with Posts
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:21 PM

BTW, I've been a member for six years and still haven't been able to advance in the priesthood. That's why I'm asking.[/b]

You will, but dont worry about it, nobody is going to kick you out. My father had a very good friend who was married to my mother's cousin. He was not a member of the Church but sent his sons on missions and attended Church regularly. He even paid tithing but could not ever feel he was worhty to be baptized. finally after about 40 years of this, some good senior missionaries taught him in such a way that he realized he needed to be baptized. Someday something will change in your life and you will do what ever is necessary to advance in the priesthood. I am assuming that you have not been ordained an Elder, but if you have been then there is no need to worry about becoming a High Priest, It will happen in its own good time.

Larry P

#12 Jigglysaint

Jigglysaint

• Inactive with Posts
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:13 PM

Yeah, I haven't been ordained an Elder. It's an ongoing struggle, and it's hard when you see people who've been in the church for only a few months become more ready than I am to recieve the Priesthood. I actually fear holding it because I am fearful of abusing it's power. I understand that no power ought to be maintained by virtue of the Priesthood, but I am fearful of crossing that boundry and fear the wrath of God. I allready do have a slight problem with blasphamy(taking sacred things lightly). That's not the major problem, but it may affect it. Also I am scared of the Stake President. Ever got banned from sitting in the front row in Stake Conference for fidgiting too much? Arround him I don't know if I could ever stop feeling like a child seeking attention.

#13 avatar4321

• Inactive with Posts
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:59 AM

Don't let fear stop you. I've struggled alot from fear too. But fear doesnt come from God. Sometimes it just takes faith. And dont be too scared of the Stake President. I am sure he wont bite.

#14 Marmonboy

Marmonboy

• Inactive with Posts
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:53 PM

Also I am scared of the Stake President. Ever got banned from sitting in the front row in Stake Conference for fidgiting too much? Arround him I don't know if I could ever stop feeling like a child seeking attention.[/b]

Oh, ya big baby--sit in the back with the rest of us!! :lol:

#15 Lightbearer

Lightbearer

• Inactive with Posts
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:34 AM

Yeah, I haven't been ordained an Elder. It's an ongoing struggle, and it's hard when you see people who've been in the church for only a few months become more ready than I am to recieve the Priesthood.

I actually fear holding it because I am fearful of abusing it's power. I understand that no power ought to be maintained by virtue of the Priesthood, but I am fearful of crossing that boundry and fear the wrath of God. I allready do have a slight problem with blasphamy(taking sacred things lightly). That's not the major problem, but it may affect it.

Also I am scared of the Stake President. Ever got banned from sitting in the front row in Stake Conference for fidgiting too much? Arround him I don't know if I could ever stop feeling like a child seeking attention.[/b]

I do not fully understand your situation but just a few comments. If worthiness is not a problem I do not understand why it has been 6 years. If you are less-active it could effect being ordained an elder. But really your Bishop would be the starting place in any event I would go and council with him. It is an awesome responsibility to be ordained to the priesthood, not one to be taken lightly but not one to fear either. There are great blessings involved which are eternal in nature. It gives you power to overcome the world and if honored and magnified it is the key to exaltation. I am sure you may have heard the following quote explaining the oath and covenant of the priesthood, but I give it here as a reminder to us all:

(D&C 84:33-48) "For whoso is faithful unto the obtaining these two priesthoods of which I have spoken, and the magnifying their calling, are sanctified by the Spirit unto the renewing of their bodies. They become the sons of Moses and of Aaron and the seed of Abraham, and the church and kingdom, and the elect of God. And also all they who receive this priesthood receive me, saith the Lord; For he that receiveth my servants receiveth me; And he that receiveth me receiveth my Father; And he that receiveth my Father receiveth my Father’s kingdom; therefore all that my Father hath shall be given unto him. And this is according to the oath and covenant which belongeth to the priesthood. Therefore, all those who receive the priesthood, receive this oath and covenant of my Father, which he cannot break, neither can it be moved. But whoso breaketh this covenant after he hath received it, and altogether turneth therefrom, shall not have forgiveness of sins in this world nor in the world to come. And wo unto all those who come not unto this priesthood which ye have received, which I now confirm upon you who are present this day, by mine own voice out of the heavens; and even I have given the heavenly hosts and mine angels acharge concerning you. And I now give unto you a commandment to beware concerning yourselves, to give diligent heed to the words of eternal life. For you shall live by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God. For the word of the Lord is truth, and whatsoever is truth is light, and whatsoever is light is Spirit, even the Spirit of Jesus Christ. And the Spirit giveth light to every man that cometh into the world; and the Spirit enlighteneth every man through the world, that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit. And every one that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit cometh unto God, even the Father. And the Father teacheth him of the covenant which he has renewed and confirmed upon you, which is confirmed upon you for your sakes, and not for your sakes only, but for the sake of the whole world."[/b]

Yes it is an awesome responsibility, but it is also an awesome blessing to your life and to the lives of those around you. Take care and God bless.
D&C 88:67-68 "And if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you; and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things. Therefore, sanctify yourselves that your minds become single to God, and the days will come that you shall see him; for he will unveil his face unto you, and it shall be in his own time, and in his own way, and according to his own will."

#16 docjwt

docjwt

• Inactive with Posts
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:54 PM

What do they do with prospective elders who don't get the priesthood in like 10 years?[/b]

Do like they did with me.... Keep working at it, until I was ready....... Thank goodness they didn't give up on me.... My "training" outlasted 6 sets of home teachers, 2 EQ presidents and 2 bishops..... But by keeping up with me they never lost me either... And now when the lord told me I was ready.... I became an "active" member again and was ordained an "Elder" this past summer.......

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq