Tithing And Gifts

MorningStar

Ok, so this is kind of a silly question. I gave my husband money for our anniversary and he jokingly asked, "Should I pay tithing on it?"

Between husband and wife, I don't think so, but do you tithe on cash gifts from others? I get gift cards quite a bit, but I don't really know how to tithe with a Bed Bath and Beyond card. :P

Are you trying to negotiate with the Lord?

That's not meant to insult, but rather to ask what your feelings are about the matter. If you at peace with not tithing on gift, then it's not a problem. If you are uneasy about not tithing on it, maybe you need to reconsider.

If you're uneasy, maybe there's some rationalization going on.

In the end result, what you pay tithing on is between you and the Lord - and the Spirit will generally guide in this matter.

I'm not asking for advice. I'm asking if others here pay tithing on gifts. When I receive money, I pay tithing on it. It just occured to me though that if someone sends me a gift card, maybe I should find a way to tithe on it. People used to tithe with their crops (well, don't know if some people still do).

The short answer, then, is yes - we do pay on anything that comes in.

Me personally, I have never considered Cash Gifts as an increase/income, thus I do not tithe on it. When my ex sold our house and property and I recieved my portion of the monies, yes I tithed on that.

My husband recently recieved retirement funds from his first job that he retired from. He paid tithing on those funds before they went into the retirement fund. He paid tithing on his total income before anything was taken out. He won't be paying tithing on those funds - he will pay tithing on the interest they have earned and will earn.

We pay titihing on our gross wages, before taxes were taken out, thus when we get our tax refunds, we do not pay tithing again on it.

If you feel better paying tithing on the $10 $20 or $50 gift certificates, then take the $1, $2 or $5 cash out of your bank account and pay your tithing.

I just don't see gifts as increase/Income.

Tithe on your increase. It's between you and the Lord what your increase is.

That's the only correct advice - the same advice you'd get from your Bishop most likely.

But since you asked for our personal preferences: My wife and I pay tithing as a family. Moving money around from one member of the family to another, isn't an increase.

We do pay tithing on cash gifts from outside the family.

When the kids get old enough to get cash gifts/allowances/etc, we will use it as a way to teach them tithing.

LM

• 2 weeks later...

That is a question that I have pondered quite often. Of course as you said if it is from one member of your immediate family to the next, that money has already been tithed on. But if you receive it as a gift from someone other than family do you count it as income? Honestly, I have never felt it necessary to tithe on it. Looking at it from a different view I might have been wrong in doing that.

• 1 month later...

Between husband and wife, I don't think so, but do you tithe on cash gifts from others? I get gift cards quite a bit, but I don't really know how to tithe with a Bed Bath and Beyond card. :P

MorningStar, you may want to check out the Give Card, which requires recipients to donate 10% of the money to nonprofits. That's what I'm giving a lot of people this Christmas. I first heard about it from this artice, Tackling Tithing with Teens.

Guest AutumnBreez

My FIL passed in Sept. My step MIL sent a check to my husband for 5k. He is a non-member, however there are 4 of us and bottom of check memo reads: share

My son and I are the only members-

My husband wants to save it to use someday on buy our first house which my FIL would want us to do too,

not pay off bills, which we have plenty because of flying out for funeral, paying off bed we got in Aug.

I agree with my DH. House was both first thought when we seen the check.

How would you pay tithing on this?

If I take out for tithing the amount will appear smaller to my nonmember husband.

As I want to pay on my portion.

Would it be ok to pay out of my next paycheck along with the tithe on paycheck? Heritage check is going in savings as if we don't have it till we build it up for buying a house.

Also, Tax returns

My question is....if you are paying on your Gross income and then taxed, isn't the money pre paid already since you paid the gross???

My FIL passed in Sept. My step MIL sent a check to my husband for 5k. He is a non-member, however there are 4 of us and bottom of check memo reads: share

My son and I are the only members-

Well, first of all - it doesn't matter what the memo says. It's your hubby's money, and if he's keeping it, and not a tithe paying LDS, there won't be any tithing paid on it.

Now, if your hubby considers it "family money" (meaning him, you, and kid(s)), then yes, sounds like you have an increase.

How would you pay tithing on this?

By being totally and completely forthright and upfront with your husband about your desire to pay tithing on your increase. Say things like "Honey, what are your plans for that check? If you decide to share it with me and our son, we'd like to pay tithing on our portion, so we'll need to figure out exact amounts."

Also, Tax returns

My question is....if you are paying on your Gross income and then taxed, isn't the money pre paid already since you paid the gross???

Not sure what you mean by "isn't the money pre paid". Could you clarify?

LM

Guest AutumnBreez

You work, get paid, your net check amount that you recieve is after tax bill, and is the money you have to pay your 10% of your Gross from.

Check deposited in bank for say $1350 is the net after taxes. They take the money out for tax bill before you can pay tithe.

Gross was say $1700.

Tax bills removed were $350.

=Pay check net $1350

1700 = $170 as tithe

Net 1350-170= 1180 remaining for food, bills, etc.

End of year comes- gov. took more then needed- you loaned them extra- more or less...you get a portion of your own money back- a return. You paid this from your gross already. Taxes are bills you pay into, but they came out of your Gross, from the same gross that you paid on for tithe. I don't see that this as an increase. It was already yours, someone borrowed it.

If I paid tithe from the net, I would then tithe on the return to equal it out. I pay on the Gross income.

Hope this clarifies it.... I do not want to cheat God. I am just trying to make sense of things.

Guest AutumnBreez

Found $5 on the ground at the grocery. No one around to have dropped it and claim. Don't know who dropped it and can't go asking cause someone will claim it that may not be rightful owner. I am not either. How would you donate it?

Found $5 on the ground at the grocery. No one around to have dropped it and claim. Don't know who dropped it and can't go asking cause someone will claim it that may not be rightful owner. I am not either. How would you donate it?

If my kids were with me, I'd donate it to the "teach the kids how to pay tithing and buy ice cream with the rest" fund.

LM

If I sell items in my home (ie,books to used book store) do I pay tithing on what I get for them?

Didn't you already pay tithing on the amount of the books when you originally earned the money that bought them??

Do you consider what you made from the sale of them an increase?

Maybe its a decrease because you got less than you paid for them originally?

Please don't get hung up on the details, pay what you honestly believe is a full tithe and if you pay a little less or a little more than someone else, it doesn't matter. God loves a cheerful giver.

Ever hear the saying "The Devil is in the details" it certainly fits for this topic.

'nuff said ;)