Flesh And Blood/flesh And Bone

MorningStar

That is my understanding...

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, page 199-200, compiled by Joseph Fielding Smith: "As concerning the resurrection, I will merely say that all men will come from the grave as they lie down, whether old or young; there will not be 'added unto their stature one cubit,' neither taken from it; all will be raised by the power of God, having spirit in their bodies, and not blood."

TPJS, page 367: "God Almighty Himself dwells in eternal fire; flesh and blood cannot go there, for all corruption is devoured by the fire...When our flesh is quickened by the Spirit, there will be no blood in this tabernacle. Some dwell in higher glory than others."

Brigham Young taught... "The blood he (Jesus) spilled on Mount Calvary he did not receive again into his veins. That was poured out, and when he was resurrected, another element took the place of the blood. It will be so with every person who receives a resurrection; the blood will not be resurrected with the body, being designed to sustain the life of the present organization. When that is dissolved, and we again obtain our bodies by the power of the resurrection, that which we now call the life of the body, and which is formed from the food we eat and the water we drink will be supplanted by another element, for flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom of God. (7:163)

Discourses of Brigham Young, pg 374, Compiled by John A. Whitsoe.

Garden Girl

Those quotes are saying three separate things. Perhaps this amounts to more than just a poor understanding of physiology. I thought the previous thread was insinuating that we would be the same but without blood. That sounded rather goofy. Now it seems that our composition could be something totally unlike now. Perhaps ectoplasm or another substance. Who knows? As Granny Gail from another forum would say, "the best way of ascertaining this is to wait and see".

Hi again Moksha... I just responded to you on the other thread... I think our bodies will be "celestialized" according to scripture... and from what is written it appears that the bodies are different... able to withstand the "glory" to which we will go, and particularly those in the Celestial Kingdom where God is... that is why I, for one, speculate (because we really don't know) that the manner of creating spirit children will not be the same for our perfected bodies as in this sphere for our mortal bodies. Just my opinion...

Smiles... The Garden Girl

Those quotes are saying three separate things. Perhaps this amounts to more than just a poor understanding of physiology. I thought the previous thread was insinuating that we would be the same but without blood. That sounded rather goofy. Now it seems that our composition could be something totally unlike now. Perhaps ectoplasm or another substance. Who knows? As Granny Gail from another forum would say, "the best way of ascertaining this is to wait and see".

I don't think we can even comprehend all the cool characterisitcs of an immortal body. In the New Testament, wasn't Jesus able to move through walls or something? I guess I should look that up to be sure.

• 4 weeks later...

In another thread, there was a tangent about why resurrected bodies wouldn't have blood. Please bring your references here.

Discuss.

Twalk amongst yourselves.

:D

MorningStar

P.S. I have always been taught that blood is part of mortality and will not be present in our resurrected bodies.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The simple answer is that the life of the flesh is the blood and in the blood also contain the seeds of death. Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God. So those resurrected cannot be of flesh and blood. The flesh is sustained by something else.

Leviticus 17:11 - For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

When the flesh has life from the Spirit....it cannot have blood which is the cause of corruption and death.

1 Corinthians 15:50 - Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

I hope this helps...

Peace be unto you

bert10

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The simple answer is that the life of the flesh is the blood and in the blood also contain the seeds of death. Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God. So those resurrected cannot be of flesh and blood. The flesh is sustained by something else.

Leviticus 17:11 - For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

When the flesh has life from the Spirit....it cannot have blood which is the cause of corruption and death.

1 Corinthians 15:50 - Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

I hope this helps...

Peace be unto you

bert10

Thank you! :D Good answer.

• 15 years later...
On 11/8/2007 at 5:17 PM, MorningStar said:

I don't think we can even comprehend all the cool characterisitcs of an immortal body. In the New Testament, wasn't Jesus able to move through walls or something? I guess I should look that up to be sure.

Jesus most likely couldn't do that, even now would be my thought, not that I'm putting limitations on Him, but here's the reasoning. In John 11:38-41 here He raises Lazarus from the grave. There was a stone already put over his grave. Jesus says, paraphrasing, "Move the stone." Then He prays and Lazarus comes forth. He didn't move the stone with mystical powers. He did all that he could do or ask to someone to move it, then when no other Earthly thing could help then he prayed and Lazarus "woke up" from death. The way it was explained to me is that the Priesthood isn't "the Force" from Star Wars its much more than that. The Priesthood allows us to perform miracles but doesn't allow us to become "lazy" by moving stones, grabbing my drink from the table.

38 Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it.

39 Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.

40 Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

41 Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.

42 And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.

43 And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.

P.S.

(I do love Star Wars and think its awesome, the Priesthood is just much more powerful than the Force AND the Priesthood is real which is a plus)

On 6/14/2023 at 10:26 AM, Learner said:

Jesus most likely couldn't do that, even now would be my thought,

John 20:26 ¶ And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

Luke 24:36 ¶ And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.

JS-H 1:30 While I was thus in the act of calling upon God, I discovered a light appearing in my room, which continued to increase until the room was lighter than at noonday, when immediately a personage appeared at my bedside, standing in the air, for his feet did not touch the floor.

43 After this communication, I saw the light in the room begin to gather immediately around the person of him who had been speaking to me, and it continued to do so until the room was again left dark, except just around him; when, instantly I saw, as it were, a conduit open right up into heaven, and he ascended till he entirely disappeared, and the room was left as it had been before this heavenly light had made its appearance.

I believe Moroni was resurrected at this point. It appears resurrected beings can indeed travel through things that seem solid to mortal man. perhaps via conduits of light (not to be confused with google fiber). We also know from His appearance on the road to Emmaus, that the Lord can pick and choose what he allows mortals to see / recognize.

Further, from his ministry and his appearance in 3 Nephi:

11:8 And it came to pass, as they understood they cast their eyes up again towards heaven; and behold, they saw a Man descending out of heaven;

...things that seem contrary to the laws of nature are possible to him.

What Jesus didn't do is not evidence that he cannot do it. Last General Conference had a great talk about this incidence.

PS: Welcome to Third Hour. :)

Edited by zil2