Music for funeral

Iggy

I need to select some music for my Mother-in-laws memorial service. I have looked at some of the hymns that the hymnal suggests for funerals.

I want hymns that are fairly easy for the congregation to sing. Most of the mourners are not LDS, and are not used to singing at a funeral/memorial service.

I have until 28 March to get this together, though I would like to have it all decided within two weeks of the service.

Oh, can anyone tell me the set up for the program: I will be doing the programs and taking them to be printed. We want some pictures of Mom on the front.

Abide With Me, 'Tis Eventide is a nice alternative to the standard Abide With Me. They are on facing pages - 165 and 166.

Each Life that Touches Ours for Good (293) is beautiful and effective, and it has a nice, singable melody that will drive home some of the basic messages an LDS funeral should convey.

I Believe in Christ (134) mentions resurrection and reinforces the Church's belief in the Savior.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone. Husband and I listened to quite of few of the suggested songs- from the hymnal. Was rather interesting too- the 14 CD set of LDS Hymns that I got 8 years ago appears to have the wrong hymns labeled on the CD.

When you pop the CD into the computer and the titles of the songs come up, they are not the ones that are actually on the CD!

The songs match the index booklet that came with the set- We have tentatively picked out Rock of Ages, I Need The Every Hour, Abide With Me and How Great Thou Art.

How Great Thou Art will have to go last. This one hymn makes both of us a totally wet mess! Neither of us can sing it because we cry so hard. Husband will be giving the Eulogy- so we can't sing it first.

We still have to talk with the pianist and the music director. We are also going to ask our wards Barber Shop Quartet if they will sing too. They all knew Mom - she yanked each of them by the ears and made them dance with the Young Women when they were in Young Mens ;)

After going through this - I am going to put together a music CD of the songs/hymns that I want played at my service. Make it that much easier for whom ever ends up having to do that.

How Great Thou Art and Abide with Me are common. Amazing Grace is another classic. However, my favorite music selection for a funeral was Roll Out the Barrel. My great aunt had an awesome sense of humor. This was her favorite song, so it was incorporated into the program. The spirit filled the room and everyone there truly took time to remember who my aunt was. While silly, it was a perfect tribute. My mother has requested Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles at her funeral...although she isn't religious or traditional. She doesn't want a funeral. She wants a Celebration of Life. A personal favorite of mine is You Lift Me Up. Josh Groban has a version of it...I don't think it is his orignally. Hope this helps Iggy. Again sorry for your loss.

How Great Thou Art and Abide with Me are common. Amazing Grace is another classic. However, my favorite music selection for a funeral was Roll Out the Barrel. My great aunt had an awesome sense of humor. This was her favorite song, so it was incorporated into the program. The spirit filled the room and everyone there truly took time to remember who my aunt was. While silly, it was a perfect tribute. My mother has requested Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles at her funeral...although she isn't religious or traditional. She doesn't want a funeral. She wants a Celebration of Life. A personal favorite of mine is You Lift Me Up. Josh Groban has a version of it...I don't think it is his orignally. Hope this helps Iggy. Again sorry for your loss.

My own mother would have loved Roll Out The Barrel. You would not believe how often she sang that and all of us kids would grab a partner and polka around the house! ( 7 kids all dancing with each other, Dad and Grandma, plus any neighbor kids that happened to be in the house)

I want a song played at my memorial- had the 8 track of it, then a cassette. Now I can not find it. Something about Jasmine - Some day I will hear it played again, then I will get the name of it, hunt it down on-line and burn it to a CD.

Oh, Yes- You Lift Me Up by Josh Groban.

You know I think I would rather have a Celebration of Life too. I also don't want anyone dressing in dark, somber colors. I want everyone to dress in bright, vibrant, spring/summer colors. Happy, Joyful, Cheerful colors. I want them to celebrate and be joyous, for I have gone on to the next world.

Thank you Heckya for your words. ^_^

I want a song played at my memorial- had the 8 track of it, then a cassette. Now I can not find it. Something about Jasmine - Some day I will hear it played again, then I will get the name of it, hunt it down on-line and burn it to a CD. ^_^

I bet you could find a music website that would help you narrow your search for your Jasmine song. I can't say that I know of one, but maybe if you did a search. If you know the era and part of the title or lyrics you might be able to get the answer.

I bet you could find a music website that would help you narrow your search for your Jasmine song. I can't say that I know of one, but maybe if you did a search. If you know the era and part of the title or lyrics you might be able to get the answer.

:D I did find a web site- but I got soooo derailed listening to the music. I really love the music from the 50's, 60's and 70's. I stayed up until 4:30 am listening and downloading more into my music on my profile:lol: I found a few that brought back some oh so good memories:eek:, couldn't find one that had Jasmine in it. I'll keep looking.

I am going to do a playlist for Husband to listen to. See if the music I selected for the memorial is okay by him. We still have to talk with the Pianist and the Barber Shop Quartet.

Thanks Moksha, I just love both of those songs. When I was about 7 and my little sister was 6 were learned Amazing Grace from our neighbor. We would sit on our swings in the back yard and sing it over and over again. What we didn't know, was the neighbors were listening to us, so was Mom and Dad- they were sitting inside with the windows open. After about a week, Daddy spent his lunch money on an album so we could learn some new songs. The album was by the Sons of the Pioneers.:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Jewish, and Jews don't do flowers or music at funerals, since it would be seen as trying to cover up the loss rather than honor the loss and the grieving process. However, my grandmother has asked that, after the initial week of mourning is over, everyone should gather again for dinner at her place and play certain songs like "Circle of Life" from the Lion King soundtrack, and (spooky point of coincicence, Heckya) "Here Comes The Sun." I like "Morning Has Broken," and may choose to put that into the mix as well. Once in a while, my grandmother asks me to add another song to the list, and I search out an mp3 or other song that I can eventually put onto a CD of mourning/remembrance music.

To tell you the truth, I'm glad that we don't do music at our funerals. I'm a professional singer, and I know that my family would expect me to be the one to sing, and I just cannot sing when I'm that sad. My throat closes up and I can't get a sound out at all.