paying tithing once a year

RubyJ

My husband and I are pay our tithing but we disagree on how often we should pay. My husband wants to pay only once a year. I think we should pay at least once a month. Right now we have a separate savings account for tithing, which I agreed to since we are out of checks (I know we could pay cash, but its so inconvenient to go to the bank) and we are moving after my husband graduates this spring. We keep track of all tithing and transfer the amount to the account after each paycheck. Does it matter how often you pay tithing?

My husband and I are pay our tithing but we disagree on how often we should pay. My husband wants to pay only once a year. I think we should pay at least once a month. Right now we have a separate savings account for tithing, which I agreed to since we are out of checks (I know we could pay cash, but its so inconvenient to go to the bank) and we are moving after my husband graduates this spring. We keep track of all tithing and transfer the amount to the account after each paycheck. Does it matter how often you pay tithing?

No it doesn't, as long as you pay once a year.

Lots of members who are self employed only pay once a year. Especially farmers/growers- they pay after the harvest.

It is good that you are banking the monthly amount. Just remember to pay the tithing to the ward you are in now, before you move. Then you pay tithing to the ward you move to.

This is a decision that is left to the individual. It seems to come up with some regularity here. I personally think that I should be at least willing to pay tithing as often as the LORD is willing to pay me.

I own my own business and for the first few years we seemed to have a growing sense of concern about whether or not we were living the law of tithing. We would wait for accounting to be done to pay according to our income, but fears about being able to pay the large amount all at once kept rising. At one time we suddenly became aware that we owed thousands that we no longer had.

I started paying tithing every Sunday, regardless of our accounting or our profits.

This is how:

Take last years income and figure your tithing total.

Divide that figure by 50 and pay that amount every week.

At the end of the year, if you discover you have made more than expected, start paying the new higher amount.

If it is discovered that you have made less than expected, start paying the lower amount.

What is accomplished in this is something more than just a paying of an exact 10%, but it is LIVING the law of the tithe. I can testify that it has been rewarding. We have no fears about whether or not we live that law or whether or not we will be capable of paying after lengthy periods without doing so.

Again, this is your decision to be made according to your personal circumstance by the Spirit. So do so and be not fearful or stressed over the issue. Understand that the LORD will not judge our obedience to the law of the tithe simply by the sum of the moneys paid into the Church account, but by the spirit with which it is paid.

-a-train

I get paid monthly on th 20th. I pay my tithing on the first Sunday of the following month along with my fast offering. If there are any additional bits of income I tot them up and add them onto what I pay each month. In the summer when I am away from home for several weeks I can't pay tithing as I am away from home so I wait until I get back and then pay it on the following first Sunday.

I don't really get the point of waiting until the end of the year? Its obvious you have the money because you are putting into a saving account. Are you paying tithing on the interest you got with the Lords money? There is no set rule on how often you HAVE to pay tithing. There are people that probably only do pay tithing once a year. But this is a more of a special case, then norm. I would think talking with your Bishop would be a good idea, more to get his opinion on the matter. I would think (and this is my view) that once you have had that increase (gotten paid) that you should pay tithing on it as soon as reasonably possible. I'm not saying you need to do it that week, but probably at least monthly (assuming you get paid twice a month) would be better. Just sitting on the money seems to denote some type of not wanting to pay it! I think the longerest I would ever go would be like 3 months. (do it 4 times a year). Again talk to your bishop.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems to me that when Tithing is to be paid, is the decision of the Tithe payer. I am not aware of any directive that indicates when it is to be paid other than when one goes in for Tithing Settlement. At that time, is when one is shown their tithing record and ask to advise whether or not they are a Tithe Payer, Full, Partial or None.

I can't believe that when one is judged, they will be have to give an accounting as to whether or not their Tithe was paid everyday, weekly, monthly, or annually!

Whether one Payed or Not Payed a Full Tithing on ones increase will be the standard measure, don't you think? The judgement will be our obediance to the commandment of Paying Tithes.

I don't think it matters how you pay but maybe its an occasion if you can't decide to take it to the Lord then let your husband decide?

I pay mine by something called Deed of Covenant (I am in the UK) which means we take 20% off the amount we pay on our gross earnings because the government then doesnt tax the church on it (think thats how it works). It comes out of our bank account every 26th of the month with the fast offerings as well - I only pay money in branch if we get gifts. And continue to pay by cheque please as a Clerk's wife more cheques mean we get our lunch earlier, more cash and we stay longer

-Charley

There are no set rules as to how often one pays tithing. I think you should do what works best for you. I have been a financial clerk several times for the wards I have been in, and have seen a few people who pay once a year.

To do this, you must be disciplined. It can be so easy to see that money just sitting there, and figure you can borrow from it now and pay it back later. It is also kind of a shock to write that large of a check at the end of the year.

Some people pay once a month, some pay every week, and some pay when they are paid. There are draw backs to each method, and advantages to each method, so pick one that works for you and your husband, and run with it.

I don't think it matters how you pay but maybe its an occasion if you can't decide to take it to the Lord then let your husband decide?

I pay mine by something called Deed of Covenant (I am in the UK) which means we take 20% off the amount we pay on our gross earnings because the government then doesnt tax the church on it (think thats how it works). It comes out of our bank account every 26th of the month with the fast offerings as well - I only pay money in branch if we get gifts. And continue to pay by cheque please as a Clerk's wife more cheques mean we get our lunch earlier, more cash and we stay longer

-Charley

I wish we could pay by check, but we are out of checks and don't plan on getting more until after we move(and switch banks since we are moving out of state) However, we have been discussing as to whether or not to get checks at all since the only thing we use them for is tithing. Since the only option for us is to pay by cash, we have decided to pay less frequently and avoid going to the bank often. My husband and I rarely have cash on us, we pay everything by credit card(which we pay off every month-we are debt free) and we are able to pay all of our bills on line. Too bad there isn't an option like the UK has here in the US.

I have discussed this very question with the missionaries after I was baptized and before I was working again.

I received from one of the Elders what I think is a very great answer.

The more often you tithe, the more often you open yourself to receive the blessings of tithing.

This concept seems pretty sound to me.

There are no commandments on when you tithe. I once thought that I should write a book titled “Tithing Strategies for the Rich”. My favorite strategy was to figure out your lifetime earnings and then purchase a life insurance policy for 10 percent of that naming the church as the beneficiary. :lol:

A few years back there were a number of wealthy members that would pay their tithing double every other year to maximize their deductions (they would also pre-pay the interest on their mortgage. In the alternate years they would not pay tithing and such but instead take the standard deductions. The IRS has put a stop to alternate years of deductions.

Often members pay tithing in kind. If a particular stock has done well you can donate that stock for the full face value in tax deductions but you do not have to declare the stock as income. So if you made $500,000 and donated a stock that you bought at $5,000 that increased to $50,000 you could pay off all you tithing for the year plus you would not have to declare the stocks increase as income. This would in essence give you a $100,000 tax deduction

It is my opinion that if you place your tithing in an account that gains interest that interest was made with the L-rd’s tithing and all of that should be returned to him but this is only my opinion. The last thing you want to do is “rob” G-d.

The Traveler

[

"It is my opinion that if you place your tithing in an account that gains interest that interest was made with the L-rd’s tithing and all of that should be returned to him but this is only my opinion. The last thing you want to do is “rob” G-d.

The Traveler

It would be my opinion that if one chooses to place tithing in an interest bearing account and pay it annually, then an honest tithe would have to include 10% on the interest gained as well.

Here is how I got there.

We are commanded to pay tithe on our increase. The interest on the tithing account would therefore be an increase to our annual income as well. Therefore one should rightfully pay 10% tithing on the increase generated as interest as well.

Robbing the Lord out of his honest share - Not I. I like receiving the blessings to much as well as paying my fire insurance

Hidden

There are no commandments on when you tithe. I once thought that I should write a book titled “Tithing Strategies for the Rich”. My favorite strategy was to figure out your lifetime earnings and then purchase a life insurance policy for 10 percent of that naming the church as the beneficiary.

A few years back there were a number of wealthy members that would pay their tithing double every other year to maximize their deductions (they would also pre-pay the interest on their mortgage. In the alternate years they would not pay tithing and such but instead take the standard deductions. The IRS has put a stop to alternate years of deductions.

Often members pay tithing in kind. If a particular stock has done well you can donate that stock for the full face value in tax deductions but you do not have to declare the stock as income. So if you made $500,000 and donated a stock that you bought at $5,000 that increased to $50,000 you could pay off all you tithing for the year plus you would not have to declare the stocks increase as income. This would in essence give you a $100,000 tax deduction

It is my opinion that if you place your tithing in an account that gains interest that interest was made with the L-rd’s tithing and all of that should be returned to him but this is only my opinion. The last thing you want to do is “rob” G-d.

The Traveler

I come to this board often to read posts but I have never signed up until now. I always thought that GOD's commandment on tithing was very simple to understand, but the more posts I read from other LDS I am starting to wonder if I am the one who does not understand it. Is there something in the Doctrine and Convenants that I am not getting right?

In D&C it says:

1 Verily, thus saith the Lord, I require all their surplus property to be put into the hands of the bishop of my church in Zion,

2 For the building of mine house, and for the laying of the foundation of Zion and for the priesthood, and for the debts of the Presidency of my Church.

3 And this shall be the beginning of the tithing of my people.

Here GOD establishes what he wants from the early Saints in regards to Tithing

4 And after that, those who have thus been tithed shall pay one-tenth of all their interest annually; and this shall be a standing law unto them forever, for my holy priesthood, saith the Lord.

And after GOD tithed the early Saints this is how he wants his Saints to pay tithing from

then on.

Please correct me if I am wrong in my interpretation of sec 4

1.one tenth of all their interest means one tenth of all their increase.

2.Annually means yearly.

3.Standing law unto them forever means this is his unchanging Law unto us for a very long time.

So if we are to pay are tith properly, we are to pay 1/10th of all of our increase yearly,

and this law which will not change applies to us forever.

paying tithing shoukld be done every time you earn something {like a paycheck}. If you dont it obviously gets very hard to catch up on, we pay ours two three times per month, that way we never get behind, and i beleive this method brings more blessings on us as the lord knows we are keeping our commandment. {he doesnt have to wait a year to see if we are doing it} we receive the blessings al along the way because we "are" paying.:)

In my view what is the quesion at hand is whether or not Tithing has to be paid on a current ongoing basis as wages etc. are earned or can be annually.

It is sematics: to argue the timing of the paying of tithing other than at least once annually.

There is no right or wrong answer from the churchs position as to when.

If one pays tithing period, and attends Tithing Settlement, the individual advises the Bishop whether or not they are a Full, parial, or non-tithe payer. Thus the Bishop so advises the church accordingly. If one does not attend Tithing Settlement, then the Bishop has to guess. The rational that one should pay it often as oppossed to annually no doubt makes those that do pay it often feel better, but the fact remains, the church that I know of does not have a policy as to when it must be paid other than the commandment to pay 10% of ones increase and attend Tithing Settlement with the Bishop to advise him accordingly. Otherwise he has to guess whether or not one is a full or part tithe payer.

God knows our hearts and thus knows our intentions, past record, etc concerning Tithing.

He knows whether we are committed to the principle of paying Tithing and so I doubt he withholds any blessings to those who elect to pay their tithing once a year versus those who pay every day. What ever works for you, is the way to pay it. Just pay it.

The fact that you keep track of your money that well and pay an accurate tithing hats off to you. The lord doesn't care when we pay our tithing, he just ask of us that we do. I think for most once a month is easier so it doesnt get spent lol, but if you can do it once a year ... Awesome ! It's the thought that counts, not the timing :):D

Pay it once a week, once a month, quarterly, or annual, maybe, in before death. It doesn't really matter when but you pay the Lord's due.

What ever is easier for you - for most, it is after receiving a paycheck.

The fact that you keep track of your money that well and pay an accurate tithing hats off to you. The lord doesn't care when we pay our tithing, he just ask of us that we do. I think for most once a month is easier so it doesnt get spent lol, but if you can do it once a year ... Awesome ! It's the thought that counts, not the timing :):D

Well if it is really the thought that counts and not the timing then would have GOD told his Saints differently on how/when you should pay your tithing when the revelation was given to Joseph Smith?

When GOD gives a commandment and tells you how to perform that commandment is it alright not to perform the task his way but what is ever more convenient to the person who is commanded to perform the task?

There is no timing about paying tithing [a day, a week, a month, or quarterly]. If you are called to a Bishop position you would know the answer.

When a Bishop is making his 'Annual' settlement with the membership, it is based on all receiving goods that the member received for that year. Some do pay annually. There is no problem of making a single payment to the Bishop's store house.

Now, the best way of ensuring your tithing is paid up, is to pay when you receive it.

Well if it is really the thought that counts and not the timing then would have GOD told his Saints differently on how/when you should pay your tithing when the revelation was given to Joseph Smith?

When GOD gives a commandment and tells you how to perform that commandment is it alright not to perform the task his way but what is ever more convenient to the person who is commanded to perform the task?

Keep in mind that when the commandment was again institued in the Latter Day church, a large body of the membership was made up of Farmers, Ranchers, Pioneers, and Trappers. Therefore, they only got increases when the crops were sold, the cattle went to market, or the hides were sold. In today society, our membership is paid daily, weekly, monthly and still some are paid annually. I suppose for those who choose to pay their tithing on a frequent basis are in actuality a benefit to the church by giving them the money ahead of time. That I am aware of, there is no directive from the church concerning a set time when tithing has to be paid, other than what has already been developed earlier in various threads.