Selected Manifestations

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tubaloth

tubaloth

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:19 AM

Does anybody have a copy of this book Selected Manifestations. I'm not going to go into the details of what the book is. I just know it was took of the selves not long after it was published in 1985. Does anybody know more details why it was taken off (I heard it was maybe copywrite laws broken? More that church didn't want the book out?) You can PM if you don't want to post it here. I would like to buy it, but its to much (maybe a tax rebate well go towards it, but probably not).

#2 tubaloth

tubaloth

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:15 PM

This is more of an update, mostly because if you search for this book (at least on google) you well find this thread. I hoping this information is more helpful for others that are searching for this book.

I now have finally found the book (and paid a good chunk for it). This is just a summary of what I have seen as I have had the book for the last 2 weeks.

It was written by Elder David M Reay (and his wife) who was a seventy and at the time of publishing this book was a "worker" in the Oakland Ca, Temple.
The point of the book was to collect other sources of doctrine that wasn't included in the Scriptures (the Four standard works).
Elder Reay felt that these things were becoming more and more scares and wanted others to enjoy them. Elder Reay does state that it is him that is publishing them, not the church, but then hopes that this book well be a companion to the scriptures. He even puts verses on all the paragraphs.

The book is a collection of Revelations, doctrines, and Dedicatory Prayers. Most of the first part of the book is Revelations, but some are so small and given to some individual that no real lesson can be pulled from it. Meaning I don’t know why they were included.

The book is formed in chronological order as the items were given. Starts out with a Revelation given to Oliver Cowdery in June 1829. (this section is much like section 20 in the D&C) The source says it came from the Church Archives. The next section is more of an account of an interview with David Whitmer (that he gives in 1878 or so) about witnessing the Gold plates.

As Temples were dedicated those are included as well as other sites there were dedicated like the Mount of Olives that was dedicated in Oct 24 1841 by Elder Orson Hyde. (I get to read this section tonight). But even this section, from the source is found in the History of Church. A lot of this stuff can be found there.

As the book goes on, the revelations start to become less and less and more Doctrine expositions that where published by the First Presidency. Near the end its more Temple Dedicatory prayers and just famous talks given. For example Elder Packers talk he gave in 1982 about the new scripture format (Bible Dictionary, footnotes and so forth). Also Elder McConkie’s last talk about Jesus Christ is also given.

The book is some 350 pages. Over all an interesting book. Not something I would probably pay a lot for! But for some reason you can’t find it! So its pretty rare.

I would think parts of this book could be published (like all the Dedicatory prayers) , and even some of the revelations.

The start of the book has this quote by Pres. George Q. Cannon.

God has His own method of doing things. He chooses whom He will; He takes away, and remove from the path those that He wishes. It is all according to His good will and pleasure. He gives unto us authority, and, as I have said, He confirms it by signs following; and this Church from the day of its organization up to the present time has never been one hour, yea I may say, one moment without revelation, without having a man in our midst who can tell us as a people the mind and will of God, who can point out to us that which we should do, who can teach us the doctrines of Christ, who can point out to us that which is false and incorrect, and who can, upon all matters that come within the range of our experience, and that are necessary for us to attend to give us the necessary counsel and instruction. This has been the case always.
(Journal of Discourses, 26 vols. [London: Latter-day Saints' Book Depot, 1854-1886], 26: 65 - 66.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq