Tithing During Unemployment

lds9999

I received a message from a friend who said that he has been out of work for 5 months. The Church has been providing assistance during that time, but apparently the bishop has decided to cut back on the assistance. The reason that was given to my friend was that he had not been paying tithing for the previous 4 months. My question then is are you supposed to tithe on assistance received from the Church?

AFAIK, 10% of your "increase" is all of the guidance that the Church gives. Beyond that, it is between you and G-d as to what you deem to be your “increase.” Technically I suppose that assistance from the Church should be tithed as it is an “increase” to you. At the same time though, it seems silly that the Church wouldn’t just take 10% off the top before giving you assistance.

*shrugs*

My question would be what type of assistance is he getting from the church?? They shouldn't be handing him cash money, I've never heard of a bishop doing something like that, they ussually take you bills and write checks for them. Is the bishop questioning your friends unemployment monies?? I think that that would be considered an increase.

Is your friend collecting unemployment benefits, or working "on the side" and getting paid in cash? . .but your friend should talk more at length with his bishop about it. There are probably more factors than we are aware of, such as the possibility that the friend has turned down opportunities for work, or other unknowns.

when someone comes to a Bishop and asks for assistance the Bishop will go thru a form and talk with the person about their situation....the Church System is designed to sustain life and not a lifestyle.....the Bishop will determine how long the assistance will last and he will work with the person and determine how long that assistance will last.

I know someone will post here soon and tell me that they got help from the Church and there was no form filled out by the Bishop. Let me assure you...there is a form and yes....some Bishops will not use it.

Correct. There are Bishops who do not use the form.

Back to the original question, if the member is still receiving any type of monies or receivable goods, he or she is still require to pay tithing as earn income; whether it comes from the feds, the state, or the city. Even the IRS will account this as capitol gain for income taxes.

Though, I can caution myself on this one, it is noted that a few Bishops may step outside of that manual derived answer based on what is true circumstances for that family and what Spirit is confirming as the right move.

Is your friend collecting unemployment benefits, or working "on the side" and getting paid in cash? . .but your friend should talk more at length with his bishop about it. There are probably more factors than we are aware of, such as the possibility that the friend has turned down opportunities for work, or other unknowns.

To be honest, I don't know all the particulars, but I thought I would ask. I think you're right in saying that there are probably more factors at play. Thanks everybody for the info!

A couple of other points. Church Help is usually given on a temporary basis based on case by case. I suspect that there are details that you do not have privy to, that only the individuals Bishop does.

Just to make a point, I as a H.P. Group Leaderwas aware of a situation in one ward that the inidividual continued to seek church help repeatedly, while at the same time only accepting certain jobs, and then quitting even those on a routine basis. This went on for several months. Finally the Bishop informed the member that if they wanted to continue to have Church help in the future, they need to stay employed, even if it was working at McDonalds, and they needed to adjust their life style a bit. This meant making draconing cuts wherever they could. I was assigned as his representative to go over their income, budget etc. and recommendation to the Bishop. During this process, found out the family had Cable T.V. including the movie channels. Had an older car, fully insured with small deductable. Spending a considerable amount of money on fast foods, versus cooking at home.

The point, the Church will help those who help themselves.

correct there are Branch Presidents who don't use the form - my husband as branch clerk and our current Branch President are currently fixing the mess caused by it - and we do have people receiving money still as a result of previous mess (the person concerned is loud about it info did not come from any priesthood holder)

-Charley

• 2 years later...

I received a message from a friend who said that he has been out of work for 5 months. The Church has been providing assistance during that time, but apparently the bishop has decided to cut back on the assistance. The reason that was given to my friend was that he had not been paying tithing for the previous 4 months. My question then is are you supposed to tithe on assistance received from the Church?

No, not on the church assistance but tithe should be paid on the unemployment pay. I was once out of work for more than a year, never asked for assistance because I had money in the bank (albeit borrowed money) to pay my bills, but I paid my tithe on the state's unemployment checks.

Edited by Bensalem