Hard Red Winter Wheat

ruthiechan

I've never tasted it. Yes you'd need a grinder, just like if you bought regular wheat. I think it'd be a good idea to invest in a wheat grinder, especially with wheat shortages appearing in various parts of the world. Whole wheat stores longer, and retains nutrients much much better than already-ground flour.

Hard Red Winter Wheat is good ole whole wheat that most people use who want whole wheat. It is good and healthy, but dense and heavy,

About 8 - 10 years ago a hybrid whole wheat was inotroduced called 'white wheat'. It is 100% whole wheat but bread, rolls, etc come out alot lighter and fluffier than the red stuff. It is a thousand times better tasing i think and has a lot more versatiltiy.

If you can find it then buy the white wheat. It has all the gluten, nutrients, and germ as the red, only better.

Be sure to let you WW breads sponge first, if you're not using Dough Enhancer.

Abraham

Guest Username-Removed

If anybody is interested, I have a great bread recipe that I use all the time.

Mark's Honey Whole Wheat Bread

3 Cups of Whole Wheat Flour

1 2/3 Cups of Water

1 1/2 teaspoons of Salt

1/3 Cup of Honey

2 Tbsp of Grandma's (brand) dough enhancer

2 teaspoons of Wheat Gluten

1 teaspoon of Active Dry Yeast

2 Tbsp of Shortening

1 Tbsp of Dry Milk Powder

This is great for larger bread machines. Mix the dry ingredients first, and then add the wet ones last. Use luke-warm water at room temperature. Follow the instructions on your bread machine.

To 'sponge' dough is to let it rise after adding the water (warm), the honey, the yeast, and about 60% of the flour. If you let 'grow' to the top of the bowl, more or less, then the bread is much lighter and not, if you use hard red winter wheat, what we call affectionatly (BTW -after it sponges you add the salt, oil, and the balance of the flour.

red - lead - bread.

I am a softy for white flour bread, that is to die for, and might probably kill you but I say, "My wife makes 'whole wheat bread - and I make whole white bread'.:D

Your friend Abraham

Red wheat is for bread and pasta - white wheat is for cookies and cakes.

If you don't want to invest in a grain grinder buy your self a coffee/herb/spice grinder and grind 1/4 c of grain at a time. This is what I did for years until I saved up for a Bosch Mixer/ Grinder.

As for dough enhancer, you don't have to use it. Add a bit more yeast with your whole grain flour. It is heavier thus you will need more yeast to get it to rise and not be a brick.

I use Vital Gluten when I make my multi-grain breads. I prefer them to be a bit heavier. My husband and I really detest the air-bread that you purchase in the stores. My father called it Balloon Bread. They were full of air and nothing else. Made the best glue though!

I was raised on homemade bread- it is coarser, and heavier than store bought. Bread is one of the cheapest things to make. If you make 4 to 6 or more loaves, as soon as they are cool, place them in heavy plastic bags, press the air out of them and then freeze. It doesn't take a loaf that long to thaw. I had the Sisters in my ward save their store bought bread bags for me. I washed them and reuse them to put my own bread in.

I am trying to tell the whole story here.

Soft wheat (NOT WHITE WHEAT) is used for cakes because it contains less gluten.

Durum wheat is the best for pasta.

Hard wheat can be used to anything that takes flour it is just not as ideal as other. It takes some homwork and study to find out what wheat is best for each application.

White wheat definitely is NOT just for cakes etc. I have been baking (okay, my wife and me) white wheat bread for years. It is head and shoulders above red wheat bread. It amazing our friend, even in the Church.

Abraham.

• 4 years later...