Jesus and the Priesthood

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 rameumptom

rameumptom

• Members
  • 7199 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:30 PM

The purpose of the Aaronic Priesthood is to perform the outward or temporal works. In other words, it prepares us for reception of the Holy Ghost in our lives. John the Baptist held the AP and when he baptized Jesus, the Holy Ghost fell upon him in the form of a dove. In our lives, this same baptism prepares us to receive the Holy Ghost. The Melchizedek Priesthood holds the keys to the mysteries of godliness (D&C 84). It prepares us to enter into God's presence and be like him. Moses held this priesthood and first tried to get the children of Israel to go upon the mount to see God's face. When they refused, God removed the MP from them for most purposes, and gave them the AP or Levitical Priesthood instead. If they weren't ready for the Holy Ghost, they weren't ready to see God's face. The Holy Ghost's purpose is to testify of the Father and the Son, and prepare us for the 2nd Comforter (Jesus). It is Jesus that then takes us to God's presence, via the power and authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.

#22 HiJolly

HiJolly

• Members
  • 2480 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake Valley

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:58 PM

The purpose of the Aaronic Priesthood is to perform the outward or temporal works. In other words, it prepares us for reception of the Holy Ghost in our lives. John the Baptist held the AP and when he baptized Jesus, the Holy Ghost fell upon him in the form of a dove. In our lives, this same baptism prepares us to receive the Holy Ghost.
The Melchizedek Priesthood holds the keys to the mysteries of godliness (D&C 84). It prepares us to enter into God's presence and be like him. Moses held this priesthood and first tried to get the children of Israel to go upon the mount to see God's face. When they refused, God removed the MP from them for most purposes, and gave them the AP or Levitical Priesthood instead. If they weren't ready for the Holy Ghost, they weren't ready to see God's face. The Holy Ghost's purpose is to testify of the Father and the Son, and prepare us for the 2nd Comforter (Jesus). It is Jesus that then takes us to God's presence, via the power and authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.

I realize this will interject a really nasty historical gem, but I just can't help myself.

Note that Moses got his Melchizedek priesthood from Jethro, his father-in-law, who was a Midianite. So, presumably, the Midianites had the Melchizedek P. But then after Israel was freed from Egypt, they went and slaughtered all the Midianites. Whoa.

Contemplation time...

HiJolly
"All it takes is for us to get a little bit self-important and narrow-minded. Toss in a little fussiness, a bit of dogma, and a bunch of pride and you've got yourself a bunch of people who wouldn't recognize the truth if it sat on them."
-- Robert Kirby

#23 HoosierGuy

HoosierGuy

• Banned
  • 1450 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:26 PM

The reason I'm asking all these questions is because I was asked to
teach the Gospel Principles class this week! The teacher will be in the
class of course.

The Gospel Principles manual only has three pages on the Priesthood. Then the next chapter is on the Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthood.

I'm trying to figure out how to explain the Priesthood in a basic way.
I want to explain where it came from, why it's needed and why we have it.

#24 skalenfehl

skalenfehl

My Own Worst Enemy

• Members
  • 3921 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

LDS.org - Topic Definition - Priesthood

#25 tubaloth

tubaloth

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:42 PM

Ok, the Earth was made thru Heavenly Father by Jesus, with the power
of the Priesthood, right? Father gave Jesus the power of the Priesthood so he could create the Earth. Right?

For the most part this is correct. But we actually need to get a little deeper into this to understand things completely.
I have seen a question been asked before on how Christ can be a God when he only is a spirit? The answer is a term that isn’t used much because its hard to completely understand. The term is Divine investiture. This means Christ acts in behave of his Father. That Christ doesn’t have any power of Himself, the power is given to him of this Father. Really the best way to look at this is really like a calling that anybody gets. When somebody gets the power or keys to be a Bishop or Elders Quorum President they don’t have the power themselves, it is given to them to fulfill the calling. The same was true with Jesus Christ, because he was the first born son, and lived up to what he was suppose to do, he was called to be a part of the Godhead and be the savior, redeemer and creator of this world. Because of that calling the power was given to him to fulfill it!

Also about this power, really it is the priesthood, but that is more a term used for us. The priesthood is really God’s Faith. Yes that kind of is deep and hard to understand how God has Faith. Elder McConkie explained it this way.

Faith bringeth salvation; miracles are wrought by faith; by faith the worlds were made. God is God because faith dwells in him independently; and faith is power, the very power of God himself. Any man who has faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, in the full and true sense, will sit down with him on his throne in the kingdom of his Father. All who do not gain this saving faith will fall short of that inheritance which might have been theirs had they believed and obeyed the word of faith.
(Bruce R. McConkie, A New Witness for the Articles of Faith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1985], 163.)

The power given to man is the Faith of God! We don’t have power, God does because of His faith. He gives us of his power (while we work on growing our faith) to gain salvation.

With that out of the way, lets get to the questions.

1. Did Jesus always have the power of the Priesthood, even before he created the Earth, or did Father give Jesus the Priesthood right before he was to create the Earth?

Jesus got the power, when He was called to be the Savior, Redeemer, and creator.

2. When it was time to create man, Heavenly Father stepped in and created man himself. Did he also use the power of the Priesthood?

Actually everything was created by Jesus Christ for and in place of Heavenly Father. The worlds were all created along with us. We all were created by Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the creator, that his calling!!
But the deeper point if God had Priesthood power, well like I have already explained kind of. God does all by Faith, that power to us is Priesthood power.

3. The Priesthood was always there and will always be, like Father and
Jesus, they do not have a beginning and do not have an end. Correct?

For the most part yes.

4. Can we view the Priesthood like a police badge? A person with a badge for the police has certain rights that those with no badge do not. Take away that badge and the rights of that badge, and he has no more power than non police. Can we view the Priesthood the same way?

For the most part this is correct. We have to assume people do what is required to get the badge. That isn’t just given out. Also there are requirement when people can use the badge, they have to follow rules.

5. What if Father told Jesus - create the Earth but I'm not giving you the power of the Priesthood? Would Jesus have been able to create the Earth without the power of the Priesthood?

Yes and no. No, Christ didn’t have any power to do anything unless Heavenly Father gave it to him. Yes in the sense that if God gives a commandment he then gives authority to do that commandment. Its like getting calling to bless the sacrament but not having the authority to do it. It wouldn’t happen that way. (God is one of Order)

6. Back in December I was wondering, since Jesus is our brother, do we have the same blood in our bodies that he had and has. I'm not concerned with that question anymore. What I think now is - the Priesthood is like a form of blood that runs thru Father, Jesus and all of
us men in the Priesthood with those women and children we are suppose to share it with. It runs from Father, to Jesus, to use Priesthood men, to wives/sisters/woman members, and children. Am I right in thinking this or way off base?

I’m guessing you are trying to use the priesthood in linking us all together. For me I don’t think the priesthood is that link (but could be part of it) I actually think the link is more of this term we use called “Light of Christ.” I’m not sure if you know much about this. Everything that gets created has this light of Christ. Its kind of our Trade mark that we get from our Maker. I think it is through this Light of Christ that links us all. I think it is also part of this Light of Christ of how we pray and in a sense are connected to Heavenly Father.

7. Adam was the first man on Earth to hold the Priesthood. Was he given
the Melchizedek directly without the Aaronic Priesthood? I can find in Moses where he was baptized and given the Melchizedek Priesthood but can't find anything on the Aaronic Priesthood.

This is kind of tough to understand. When Adam was on the earth there was no Mel Priesthood and Aaronic Priesthood. There was just “THE PRIESTHOOD.” (This was both the Mel and the arronic together). When Moses and his people rejected the higher law, then God took away the higher ordinances and left the predatory Priesthood. (The Aaronic) this was given to help people pre-pare to get the fullness of the priesthood. Sense that time the priesthood has had two divisions. But really the Mel priesthood can do everything the aaronic priesthood can do.

#26 HoosierGuy

HoosierGuy

• Banned
  • 1450 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:56 PM

LDS.org - Topic Definition - Priesthood

"The priesthood is the eternal power and authority of God. Through the priesthood God created and governs the heavens and the earth. Through this power He redeems and exalts His children, bringing to pass "the immortality and eternal life of man" (Moses 1:39). God gives priesthood authority to worthy male members of the Church so they can act in His name for the salvation of His children. Priesthood holders can be authorized to preach the gospel, administer the ordinances of salvation, and govern the kingdom of God on the earth."

So Fathers power is called the Priesthood? If Father did not have
the power of the Priesthood then he would not be all powerful. Right?

Ugh, I feel bad about typing the above. I know Father is all powerful and will always be all powerful.

#27 tubaloth

tubaloth

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:00 PM

Hasn't it always been on the earth, since Adam?

Even during the Apostacy -- wasn't it "technically" on the earth still, through John the Beloved and the 3 Nephites?

The idea here is that these people never left, but that isn’t the case. The only “pain” they would ever feel is really how sinfull the world gets. But once it got so bad (the apostly was getting closer) God took them from the earth.

10 And there are none that do know the true God save it be the disciples of Jesus, who did tarry in the land until the wickedness of the people was so great that the Lord would not suffer them to remain with the people; and whether they be upon the face of the land no man knoweth.

I can only assume the same thing happen with John. Thus the apostasy was completely and the reason why a restoration happen!

#28 tubaloth

tubaloth

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:08 PM

So, if someone came up to you and said - sir, what is the purpose of the
Priesthood? What would you say? Is the Priesthood here to help us return to Father and get to the CelestialKingdom? Is it to help us overcome the hurt and suffering that we face on Earth? What is the exact purpose of the Priesthood?

Good question.

The purpose of the priesthood to in a way bridge the veil. Things that are done by the power of the priesthood are done as if God did them Himself because it is by his Power they are done. Also, we gain revelation and knowledge of God because of the Priesthood. This is how we know the commandments, how we know what is required to gain Salvation.

Part of the priesthood is to act in God’s name! Part of that is to help relive some of the burdens, pains we feel on this earth.

I'm trying to figure out how to explain the Priesthood in a basic way.
I want to explain where it came from, why it's needed and why we have it.

Well then most of what I have said is a little deep for that type of class. I’m sure there are plenty of scriptures to teach us about the priesthood.

http://www.ldsces.org/inst_manuals/doc-gosp/doc-gosp-21-30.htm#25

#29 HoosierGuy

HoosierGuy

• Banned
  • 1450 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

Ok, the Aaronic Priesthood has the authority to administer the outward ordinances of repentance and baptism. What exactly does this mean?

The Melchizedek Priesthood has the power and authority to lead the Church and direct the preaching of the gospel in all parts of the world.
They direct the work done in the temples, they preside over wards, branches, stakes, and missions. They heal the sick, bless babies, and give special blessings to church members.

I think I understand what all the Melchizedek Priesthood does but
I'm not positive about the Aaronic. Aaronic - authority to administer the outward ordinances of repentance? How does that work?

#30 VisionOfLehi

VisionOfLehi

• Inactive with Posts
  • 1439 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:27 PM

Priesthood

The priesthood is the eternal power and authority of God. Through the priesthood God created and governs the heavens and the earth. Through this power He redeems and exalts His children, bringing to pass "the immortality and eternal life of man" (Moses 1:39). God gives priesthood authority to worthy male members of the Church so they can act in His name for the salvation of His children. Priesthood holders can be authorized to preach the gospel, administer the ordinances of salvation, and govern the kingdom of God on the earth.

Straight from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

And now, O man, remember, and perish not.

#31 rameumptom

rameumptom

• Members
  • 7199 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:21 PM

Ok, the Aaronic Priesthood has the authority to administer the outward ordinances of repentance and baptism. What exactly does this mean?

The Melchizedek Priesthood has the power and authority to lead the Church and direct the preaching of the gospel in all parts of the world.
They direct the work done in the temples, they preside over wards, branches, stakes, and missions. They heal the sick, bless babies, and give special blessings to church members.

I think I understand what all the Melchizedek Priesthood does but
I'm not positive about the Aaronic. Aaronic - authority to administer the outward ordinances of repentance? How does that work?

The Aaronic Priesthood holds 3 keys: ministering of angels, gospel of repentance, and baptism by immersion for the remission of sins (D&C 13). It basically prepares us to receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost as a constant companion. IOW, it prepares us to have the junior member of the Godhead in our lives, so that line upon line, we may prepare for the blessings of the Melchizedek Priesthood.

The Melchizedek Priesthood prepares us to be ministered to by the Godhead. We receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost through a higher ordinance, allowing us to learn to have his constant companionship.

D&C 84 explains it even further:

19 And this greater priesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the key of the mysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the knowledge of God.
20 Therefore, in the ordinances thereof, the power of godliness is manifest.
21 And without the ordinances thereof, and the authority of the priesthood, the power of godliness is not manifest unto men in the flesh;
22 For without this no man can see the face of God, even the Father, and live.
23 Now this Moses plainly taught to the children of Israel in the wilderness, and sought diligently to sanctify his people that they might behold the face of God;
24 But they hardened their hearts and could not endure his presence; therefore, the Lord in his wrath, for his anger was kindled against them, swore that they should not enter into his rest while in the wilderness, which rest is the fulness of his glory.
25 Therefore, he took Moses out of their midst, and the Holy Priesthood also;
26 And the lesser priesthood continued, which priesthood holdeth the key of the ministering of angels and the preparatory gospel;
27 Which gospel is the gospel of repentance and of baptism, and the remission of sins, and the law of carnal commandments, which the Lord in his wrath caused to continue with the house of Aaron among the children of Israel until John, whom God raised up, being filled with the Holy Ghost from his mother’s womb.

IOW, at Mt Sinai, Moses was trying to have all of Israel go up the mountain with him to see God's face - through the ordinances of the Mechizedek Priesthood. They refused to go up, so God gave them the Aaronic Priesthood to prepare them for the day. They would only be visited by angels, and not God, until they were ready for the higher priesthood. Only the prophets continued with the MP, while the rest of the nation was limited to the blessings they received.

The keys of the MP go beyond those of the AP. The main key is the knowledge of God and the mysteries of his Kingdom. When one experiences the temple endowment, one literally practices entering into God's presence and being with him. This is preparatory for the actual day when God will reveal himself to us.

So the AP prepares us for a spiritual life, by sending angels to assist us and preparing us to repent and be cleansed. The MP prepares us to have members of the Godhead present with us, whether it is the Holy Ghost or a visit by Jesus Christ (D&C 93:1).

#32 rameumptom

rameumptom

• Members
  • 7199 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:24 PM

Another note, the ordinances of the AP are extremely important to prepare us for the higher ordinances. The Sacrament, for instance, helps us focus on the atonement of Christ, repent and make promises to him, and in return, we are promised the companionship of the Holy Ghost, a member of the Godhead (after having received that MP ordinance, of course). Little by little, the Sacrament can help us learn to have the HG with us more and more, until he truly does become a constant companion.

#33 Vanhin

Vanhin

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 1509 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:17 PM

Well, the ordinances that have to do with repentance are 1) Baptism, and 2) Sacrament (The Lord's Supper). The Aaronic priesthood has the authority to officiate over those ordinances under the direction of the high priest of the Aaronic priesthood.

Anciently, under the law of Moses, the Aaronic priesthood administered the various rituals and ordinances, which included sacrifice by the shedding of blood, that were designed to remind the people of the duties and responsibilities. For example, a lamb or a dove was brought to the tabernacle or temple, and an offering was made for a person's own sins or the sins of others. The Aaronic priesthood holders would administer the rituals and such.

Just as a side note, the Aaronic priesthood consisted at that time of a High Priest, priests, and Levites; each had their duties, and the High Priest directed the work of the priesthood.

Because of the great and last sacrifice of the Lamb of God (Atonement of Jesus Christ), we no longer offer our animals and such as sacrifice for sin. Instead we bring an offering of a broken heart and a contrite spirit to the altar for our sins as prerequisites to being baptized, or partaking of the sacrament. And you guessed it, the Aaronic priesthood takes a lead role in these ordinances of repentace. Under the direction of the Bishop (Aaronic High Priest), the priests, and teachers and deacons (Levites) administer the Sacrament.

I wonder if the young Aaronic priesthood holders of our day really realize the important role they have in administering the ordinances of repentance. They are like the sons of Aaron and Levi of old.

One other thing of interest. The Bishop is the president of the Aaronic priesthood in a congregation (ward). A literal descendant of Aaron has a right to the bishopric in the LDS Church, if they are worthy that is; and they can serve in that capacity without counselors. In that case they don't have to hold the Melchizedek Priesthood either. Which would mean that someone else would be the presiding high priest (Melchizedek) of the ward at the same time. But a high priest after the order of Melchizedek can be ordained to the office of Bishop when no literal descendant of Aaron can be found. In that case he is both the presiding high priest of the ward, and the high priest of the Aaronic priesthood in the ward. He will also need a pair of counselors. This is the way most if not all wards are to date (at least as far as I know).

Regards,
Vanhin

#34 jadams_4040

jadams_4040

• Inactive with Posts
  • 863 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:02 PM

Ok, the Earth was made thru Heavenly Father by Jesus, with the power
of the Priesthood, right? Father gave Jesus the power of the Priesthood so he could create the Earth. Right?

Questions:

1. Did Jesus always have the power of the Priesthood, even before he created the Earth, or did Father give Jesus the Priesthood right before he was to create the Earth?

2. When it was time to create man, Heavenly Father stepped in and created man himself. Did he also use the power of the Priesthood?

3. The Priesthood was always there and will always be, like Father and
Jesus, they do not have a beginning and do not have an end. Correct?

4. Can we view the Priesthood like a police badge? A person with a badge for the police has certain rights that those with no badge do not. Take away that badge and the rights of that badge, and he has no more power than non police. Can we view the Priesthood the same way?

5. What if Father told Jesus - create the Earth but I'm not giving you the power of the Priesthood? Would Jesus have been able to create the Earth without the power of the Priesthood?

6. Back in December I was wondering, since Jesus is our brother, do we have the same blood in our bodies that he had and has. I'm not concerned with that question anymore. What I think now is - the Priesthood is like a form of blood that runs thru Father, Jesus and all of
us men in the Priesthood with those women and children we are suppose to share it with. It runs from Father, to Jesus, to use Priesthood men, to wives/sisters/woman members, and children. Am I right in thinking this or way off base?

7. Adam was the first man on Earth to hold the Priesthood. Was he given
the Melchizedek directly without the Aaronic Priesthood? I can find in Moses where he was baptized and given the Melchizedek Priesthood but can't find anything on the Aaronic Priesthood.

Thanks!

I dont think the preisthood was involved with the actuall creation of the earth, but the preisthood is mans Holy power bestowed to do The lords work on earth, I;E ordinances,blessings, power over satan,e.t.c..... and yes adam was the origanil and still is the "father" of the preisthood, yet he is not the only. it is indeed a very complicated issue and probably deserves much sincere prayer to fully comprehend.:)

#35 THIRDpersonviewer

THIRDpersonviewer

• Inactive 6+ Months
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:16 PM

I dont think the preisthood was involved with the actuall creation of the earth, but the preisthood is mans Holy power bestowed to do The lords work on earth, I;E ordinances,blessings, power over satan,e.t.c..... and yes adam was the origanil and still is the "father" of the preisthood, yet he is not the only. it is indeed a very complicated issue and probably deserves much sincere prayer to fully comprehend.:)

The true father of the Priesthood is our Heavenly Father. The Priesthood is the Power and Authority of God. Nothing more, nothing less. As it relates to men, we are conferred the Priesthood and thus have the right to use His power when we are authorized. Any time the work of God has commenced, the Priesthood is there. Just look at the dispensations.

#36 rameumptom

rameumptom

• Members
  • 7199 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:19 AM

Actually, the priesthood WAS directly involved in the creation of the earth: Brigham Young stated:

If anybody wants to know what the Priesthood of the Son of God is, it is the law by which the worlds are, were, and will continue for ever and ever. It is that system which brings worlds into existence and peoples them, gives them their revolutions—their days, weeks, months, years, their seasons and times and by which they are rolled up as a scroll, as it were, and go into a higher state of existence (Discourses of Brigham Young, 130).

When we talk of the celestial law which is revealed from heaven, that is, the Priesthood, we are talking about the principle of salvation, a perfect system of government, of laws and ordinances, by which we can be prepared to pass from one gate to another, and from one sentinel to another, until we go into the presence of our Father and God (DBY, 130).

Much has been said about the power of the Latter-day Saints. Is it the people called Latter-day Saints that have this power, or is it the Priesthood? It is the Priesthood; and if they live according to that Priesthood, they can commence their work here and gain many victories, and be prepared to receive glory, immortality, and eternal life, that when they go into the spirit-world, their work will far surpass that of any other man or being that has not been blessed with the keys of the Priesthood here (DBY, 131–32).

John Taylor stated this:

What is priesthood? … I shall briefly answer that it is the government of God, whether on the earth or in the heavens, for it is by that power, agency, or principle that all things are governed on the earth and in the heavens, and by that power that all things are upheld and sustained. It governs all things—it directs all things—it sustains all things—and has to do with all things that God and truth are associated with. It is the power of God delegated to intelligences in the heavens and to men on the earth; and when we arrive in the celestial kingdom of God, we shall find the most perfect order and harmony existing, because there is the perfect pattern, the most perfect order of government carried out, and when or wherever those principles have been developed in the earth, in proportion as they have spread and been acted upon, just in that proportion have they produced blessings and salvation to the human family. And when the government of God shall be more extensively adopted, and when Jesus’ prayer, that he taught his disciples, is answered, and God’s kingdom comes on the earth, and his will is done here as in heaven [see Matthew 6:10], then, and not till then, will universal love, peace, harmony, and union prevail. (Priesthood Manual, John Taylor, ch. 13)

#37 Hemidakota

Hemidakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 15447 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:33 AM

Without the priesthood, there would be no universe or life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq